Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
We took our first family road trip in the EV today. Two hours each way to Poulsbo and back. My first impression is "why did we wait so long to buy one of these?" It was an absolute pleasure to drive, and the kids loved all the space to move about during the trip.

The kids were irritated with the non-functioning cupholders (still waiting for BD to deliver), and none of the three rear power ports had 12v, so their iPhones weren't topped up. Also, the family has become accustomed to concert quality sound in our Audi Bose system, so I now have to invest in an amp and subwoofer to make up for the deficiencies of the audio bits I just installed.

There are some wind noise issues I'd like to address, as well as a super annoying chirping squeak that I think is coming from the slider mechanism. The engine has more than enough power on tap, but sometimes the trans seems to languish in a higher gear, and then randomly decides to downshift and unleash the Kraken. The drivetrain seems to have a mind of its own at unpredictable moments. The 3-4 shift will sometimes flare.

I freakin' love this van.

Our sentiments as well.

WISH WE HAD OF BOUGHT THIS YEARS AGO!!!

We just got our first EV last fall, it was a 93 5-spd. We've already stepped up to an 01 and it's soooo goood! Our kids are 16 and 18 now, we should have had an EV all along.

In my opinion, the ONLY reason to buy an older EV rather than the latest 01-03 would be $$. There are tons of updates on the 01-03, they ride better, brakes are a million times better, quieter, way more power, lots of little clips and such which were added. The only thing I miss is that the 93 had more storage cubbies in the dash. Don't get me wrong, we love(ed) our 93, we are just really enjoying the updates in this 01.

Ours does not have the smoothest power delivery either, the accelerator is very touchy and when it decides its go time, it really gets after it. I have a thread going on this subject now.

LUV our EV!

Last edited by markcm2 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

My only reason for buying an older model was the manual transmission, which leads to a less expensive and easier for me conversion to diesel.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Yep, a TDI conversion will probably be in our future, as well...though that VR6 sure hustles along rather nicely

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

You should drive a T6 then. They make the last T4's seem really old.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

As mentioned in another thread, I replaced both sliding window latch mechanisms last week. Today I pulled the front door panels and replaced the door checks on both sides--This makes a huge difference when on a slight uphill slope, 'cause those big heavy doors can be tough to wrestle with when you're trying to egress gracefully. While inside the doors I lubed up the slider on the PW frame, and fished out the rubber shims for the panel clips that had fallen inside. The PO indicated that the only service they ever had for this van was at the dealer, which from what I've seen so far isn't very confidence inspiring.

I disassembled both PDL actuators and found that the driver side had some corrosion on the contacts. Additionally, I pulled the door pocket out on the driver side and reinstalled the locking bin cover which apparently had fallen out some time ago. The screw nut plates were still in there rattling around when you closed the door, so it was great to take care of two annoyances at once. After pinning it all together again, the doors hold open fine and close with a much more vault-like thud. The PDLs work much more consistently, though the slider is still dead due to a bad spring contact mechanism.

y u rune klassik?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Thanks! I was looking at pics of an early model rear hatch, and saw this small black rectangle in the middle that I can't quite make out. Is that a latch release? If so, I definitely want that on mine, even if I don't replace the hatch. It seems dangerous not to have a latch release from the inside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You are correct. The 1993 vans had an interior rear release latch. I've converted a couple of late model Eurovans to have this feature. I always have them since I part out a lot of 1993 vans when stealing their tops for poptop conversions.

You need the interior panel, the handle and the rod. That it. The connection for the rod is already on your later van. If you need any of the parts let me know, they are kinda large but maybe we can figure something out.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Any gotchas I need to be aware of as I tackle the poptop tent R&R? I watched a GoWesty video for a Vanagon last night, and near as I can tell it's pretty much the same procedure as the EV. How heavy is the poptop itself?

DO NOT REMOVE THE TOP!!! Talk about creating FAR more work for yourself.

I've installed dozens of these top tents now. Go to Home Depot and spend $20 on an electric screw driver with a #1 phillips bit.

1. At the back center of the van you will see a roundish rubber piece tucked into the bottom aluminum rail. Pluck it out of there with a tiny screw driver and pull. Walk all the way around the van pulling the rubber seal out as you go. 360* later the bottom of the top will be undone.

2. Take unscrew all the screws from the top aluminum rail. there are 4 rails. Just set the screws and the rails down right where you are taking them off.

When the top is fully unscrewed just loop it over the top and pull it off.

I can get top tents off in under 10 min. Wink (less with a knife when I know I'm not reusing the top.)

Just reverse the process. I start at the front center and work my way around the top first. Just put one screw in at a time and it goes on very quickly.

On vans with gas top struts like yours I use a motorcycle ratcheting tie down to pull the top down about 8-10" (I just strap it to a seat base and the top grab handle). This gives the top tent enough slack to easily work the rubber seal back into place.

The tops you buy from some of the manufactures use a rope that is far too thick. You may need a mallet to ram the seal back in. You can roll the first two ribs in with your thumbs and then tap the last one in with a rubber mallet and a blunt but then object. (I custom ground a flat blade screw driver for my own tool).

Depending on who made the top it can take a long or short time to install it.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

.......finally went back and read the whole thread Laughing ( I was kinda skimming/half reading/and generally not really paying attention before Wink )

Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words from people early on in the thread. It's fun to make vans people like Very Happy
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I was inspecting the vehicle further today, and found that both the center sliding windows are missing the pins that lock the units in place. Is there a DIY fix for this issue? Also, is there a preferred poptop tent? I see that Bus Depot has an OE Westfalia tent, but it only has two windows. I'd like to have three, but I'm mostly concerned about ease of install and proper fitment.

With regards to pins - I just posted this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8225991#8225991
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

CoastieLFS wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I was inspecting the vehicle further today, and found that both the center sliding windows are missing the pins that lock the units in place. Is there a DIY fix for this issue? Also, is there a preferred poptop tent? I see that Bus Depot has an OE Westfalia tent, but it only has two windows. I'd like to have three, but I'm mostly concerned about ease of install and proper fitment.

With regards to pins - I just posted this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8225991#8225991

Ok, I just read through your entire thread (because I too recently acquired a 2001 Weekender) and discovered you already resolved your pin issue. Oh well, might help someone else. Did you DIY or install a kit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Any gotchas I need to be aware of as I tackle the poptop tent R&R? I watched a GoWesty video for a Vanagon last night, and near as I can tell it's pretty much the same procedure as the EV. How heavy is the poptop itself?

DO NOT REMOVE THE TOP!!! Talk about creating FAR more work for yourself.

I've installed dozens of these top tents now. Go to Home Depot and spend $20 on an electric screw driver with a #1 phillips bit.

1. At the back center of the van you will see a roundish rubber piece tucked into the bottom aluminum rail. Pluck it out of there with a tiny screw driver and pull. Walk all the way around the van pulling the rubber seal out as you go. 360* later the bottom of the top will be undone.

2. Take unscrew all the screws from the top aluminum rail. there are 4 rails. Just set the screws and the rails down right where you are taking them off.

When the top is fully unscrewed just loop it over the top and pull it off.

I can get top tents off in under 10 min. Wink (less with a knife when I know I'm not reusing the top.)

Just reverse the process. I start at the front center and work my way around the top first. Just put one screw in at a time and it goes on very quickly.

On vans with gas top struts like yours I use a motorcycle ratcheting tie down to pull the top down about 8-10" (I just strap it to a seat base and the top grab handle). This gives the top tent enough slack to easily work the rubber seal back into place.

The tops you buy from some of the manufactures use a rope that is far too thick. You may need a mallet to ram the seal back in. You can roll the first two ribs in with your thumbs and then tap the last one in with a rubber mallet and a blunt but then object. (I custom ground a flat blade screw driver for my own tool).

Depending on who made the top it can take a long or short time to install it.

Thanks! So, this is something I can do by myself, right? If so, that makes things so so so much easier to accomplish. Everyone besides myself in the family is far too short to be of help walking the top off of the van, so leaving it in situ is a huge relief.

y u rune klassik?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Thanks! So, this is something I can do by myself, right? If so, that makes things so so so much easier to accomplish. Everyone besides myself in the family is far too short to be of help walking the top off of the van, so leaving it in situ is a huge relief.

Yes.

The only part that is easier with an assistant it looping the new tent up and over the top. But its far from impossible by yourself..

I would suggest washing the roof of your van before the install. Other wise you will get the new tent dirty dragging it over the top.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether a Mk4 Jetta steering wheel will bolt on and function correctly in my EV? I'd like a factory leather wheel for looks and the tactile feel in my hands.

y u rune klassik?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Does anyone know whether a Mk4 Jetta steering wheel will bolt on and function correctly in my EV? I'd like a factory leather wheel for looks and the tactile feel in my hands.

Yes, with some mods.

Here is the VW wheel in my 99.

Here is my favorite for the later vans 2001+

Audi Sport wheel in a 2002 I built.

And a Porsche Wheel in one of my 1993s. (sorry bad angle on the photo)

All VW T4s have "small spline" steering shafts. All the late model "sport" steering wheels have "large spine" steering wheels. You will need to source a VW made spline adapter, and then trim it down to the right length.

Here is the adapter you need. Can be extracted from the donor car with a giant hammer

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks! I had that exact same Porsche wheel on my Vanagon for a while.

So, with the addition of the spline adapter, the airbag/horn plugs are plug n' play? How much trimming does the adapter require?

y u rune klassik?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

There is an engraved line on the spacer (you can see it in the picture above) cut there.

The VW wheel should be mostly plug and play on a 2001+. Mine is on a 1999 and there are some differences.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Cool, I hope to pick one up sometime this week.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Today I bought a three spoke leather wheel from an '00 Jetta. It came with the whole steering column, so I thought I'd have the adapter, too. Unfortunately the Mk4 cars use a different kind of large spline setup, which isn't separate from the steering shaft. I'll need to locate the splined adapter which is part #191 419 514

y u rune klassik?
njt1rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

You can find the adapter on a mk3 jetta steering column
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Yeah, coincidentally I'm going to be working on my neighbor's Mk3 Jetta steering column today, so I'll be pulling that adapter off. I'll see if I can find a used one, but they're only $24 new, so it's not a huge burden.

When I was at the wrecking yard yesterday, I was really intrigued with a B5 Passat that had leather and stereo controls built into the wheel. That seemed like way too much fabrication in order to make it fit, but it would look pretty sweet.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: