Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjytemp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Okay so here is a more thorough description of the 1984 Westfalia Vanagon (it says westfalia back of the pop up, and vanagon GL on the back of the frame).

It had a rebuilt engine in 2004. (paper to prove it). This lady bought the van in 2010 or so. The old lady used it as her daily driver but mind you, she is the type of woman that doesn't do much, drives to the store, picks up friends, she's old and fragile, doesn't drive it fast etc.
SO, it seems to be in great condition - When you start turn it over, SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T TURN OVER. She says you have to wait a few seconds and try again, then it turns over, once it's running the van seems to be doing great, lots of power on the highway.
Original 214k and I imagine around 100k on the rebuilt.
There was lots of paper work for the past work that has been done on the vehicle, since 2004 or so. Lots of money put into it.

Pros

Rebuilt Engine, reasonably low km's, lots of power when driving, runs smooth, took it to her mechanic and he said last time she came in the van had nothing wrong with it.
All interior is in relatively decent condition, I plan on sleeping it this for the next year so I really need a reliable vehicle.
Owned by a elderly woman, she's fragile, doesn't drive the thing down to the ground, and recently stopped driving because she dinged the front headlight.
The ONLY REASON she is even consider selling it is because I approached her doorstep asking about the van. Other than that, it would be her daily driver for who knows how long.
Not much rust on the van, only around the wheel, but it is so SMALL that it would take years to be terribly so. Underneath the van is VERY LITTLE RUST, I was told to check this out as it reflects the condition.
Seriously, I think this car is in solid condition, just it's older and the mechanic said regarding its age, anything can happen etc which made me a little fishy.

The cons

Now, mind you, I don't know a WHOLE LOT when it comes to mechanics and what to look for but before i even think of purchasing it, i'll take it to my mechanic whom I trust wholeheartedly.
The interior pop up is COVERED in mold. This reflects the price she is asking, the entire pop up is basically mold, even though she drives it, I guess she didn't keep up with those stakes. To get a new pop up roof/canvas is 400-500?
I'm not entirely sure what this issue would be, but ONLY SOMETIMES when you start the van, it doesn't kick. As if the battery is close to be dying, or something to do with the starter..... IS THIS COMMON FOR A VANAGON/WESTFALIA? What problem would this be? My first test drive I tried to turn it over and nothing clicked, waited a few seconds and tried again, turned over just fine...?!
Propane doesn't work, tank is rusty and corroded.
Engine seems to be in decent condition from the looks of it, though when you look under the hood, the entire engine seems to shake when it's on. I guess with such an old van, comes a bit rough of a engine.

My personal notes -

I will be using this as not only my daily driver, but basically living in it for the next year or so. My work has me traveling, and with my current lifestyle, I am traveling often, for example, i'll be doing a 8 hour drive up to the interior of my province, then after a month of work, 10 hours even MORE NORTH, one month later driving back those 10 hours.

Basically, i'll be doing 3-5 thousand km's this summer alone, then i may be going down to california for travels/work in the summer, so another 3-5 thousand kms.

Again, the reason I am pushing towards buying it; she would driving it on a daily basis without my knocking on her front door asking if she is wanting to sell it. So that has me thinking either she is so happy to be getting rid of it for how much of a headache it is, or she sees a younger man inspired to purchase the vehicle and is willing to spare a decent price

SHE IS ASKING 4000 cad. I can probably trade her my 97 volkswagen golf which is worth roughly 3500, or if she refuses, give her 3000 cash and see how she settles on it.

let me know what you guys think. I didn't have time to snap any pictures; I wish i had.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Buying a van with a bad tent is great, The owner discounts because of it and you end up with a new tent in your choice of color and fabric. The mold stains will come right out with bleach.
I agree with your tactic that the owner was driving it everyday and her mechanic said there is noting really wrong with ,he has no reason to lie.
That doesn't mean that there aren't 10 things that need to be done from the start.
Refresh brake fluid
Pack wheel bearings and CVs
Check or replace fuel lines
Replace all plastic in coolant system
Have a serious look at radiator if water cooled
Replace or have propane tank inspected
Install properly rated tires

Any used car I buy,I know I am going to have to do at least $1500.00 maintenance before I am content, and I don't buy normally buy crappy cars.
Photos go a long way. You as a novice may look right past things that a a seasoned veteran will catch right off. Price is right for an early
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Take some time to post some pictures prior to anyone making a judgemental call.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Buying a van with a bad tent is great, The owner discounts because of it and you end up with a new tent in your choice of color and fabric. The mold stains will come right out with bleach.
I agree with your tactic that the owner was driving it everyday and her mechanic said there is noting really wrong with ,he has no reason to lie.
That doesn't mean that there aren't 10 things that need to be done from the start.
Refresh brake fluid
Pack wheel bearings and CVs
Check or replace fuel lines
Replace all plastic in coolant system
Have a serious look at radiator if water cooled
Replace or have propane tank inspected
Install properly rated tires

Now here is some sound advise.
Do nothing to the engine or trans as far as a PM, do everything around the engine,& trans.

The engine doesn't start all the time, but I think first you should make sure the radiator. & propane tank is good.

Good call.
mjytemp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

And.. no power steering.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

I hope you have several months to get this vehicle up to mechanical perfect snuff prior to taking off to wherever you think it's gonna go.
And the funds to tend to all of it to make it dependable.

Your demanding a lot out of a 32 year old antique.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

That's exactly mt point Terry , every mechanic goes for the big easy stuff like tune ups and brakes and leaves the other stuff until it breaks. If an old lady just drove it around town, all she is concerned with is it starting and stopping. He has already stated there is a starting issue ,so no sense in talking about that.
If his plan is to take it long distances ,it is rarely the engine or trans that dies it is normally an ancillary part.
Luckily this is a forum of opinions and we all look at things differently. I am sure somewhat else will chime in and say ,the first thing I would do is an engine conversion or Bumpers or wheels. I am looking at taking an unknown and going through systems that have probably never been touched before and when left untouched will leave you on the side of the road.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Perhaps (and just maybe) included in the service documents included with this van is notations on the last time the engine was fully serviced, all of the oils in the engine, trans, & rear end was changed.
Brake service, front end parts, front & rear bearings serviced, fuel, air filters, coolant changes for example.

I'll tell ya what, if I went to change the oil and found a Fram filter on the engine, I'd be more worrying about the condition of the engine, & running gear, way prior to thinking about mold on the top, & the skanky condition of the propane tank.

Priorities.

Remember , the OP didn't know if this ride was air cooled or water cooled from the get go.
Sounds kinda hinky to me.
mjytemp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Perhaps (and just maybe) included in the service documents included with this van is notations on the last time the engine was fully serviced, all of the oils in the engine, trans, & rear end was changed.
Brake service, front end parts, front & resr bearings serviced, fuel, air filters changed.

I'll tell ya what, if I went to change the oil and found a Fram filter on the engine, I'd be more worrying about the condition of the engine, way prior to thinking about mold on the top, & the skanky condition of the propane tank.

Priorities.

Remember , the OP didn't know if this ride was air cooled or water cooled from the get go.
Sounds kinda hinky to me.

The OP didn't know, you're correct, but she had it maintained by her mechanic and she wouldn't even touch anything mechanically with it, she knows to have it serviced every month or so. At least from the records it says that. I'll do a more thorough look on the documents she provided, hell may i'll even as to bring them home and read everything done the last few years
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Don't let TK get you down. He is the glass isn't half full, it fell off the table and broke, kind of guy. But he does good for a reality check. 😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

mold on the top is no biggie - blow it off with a pressure washer then treat the top

holes in the top are expensive!

be sure you can afford to get it into safe condition - DIY saves many $$ but parts can cost you too
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

No tipped glasses, just bursting dreamland bubbles.

The travel agenda has been posted, the mileage been stated.
No mechanical apptitude, knows very little about the vehicle, and has a few months to meet his dream cruise ETD.

I say;
Go buy a Chevy, GMC van, toss an air bed in the back, and don't sweat the mileage or speed that your thinking about traveling at.

Where's the pictures of this Van?
I'd really like to see what this magic carpet has in store for you.
mjytemp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
No tipped glasses, just bursting dreamland bubbles.

The travel agenda has been posted, the mileage been stated.
No mechanical apptitude, knows very little about the vehicle, and has a few months to meet his dream cruise ETD.

I say;
Go buy a Chevy, GMC van, toss an air bed in the back, and don't sweat the mileage or speed that your thinking about traveling at.

Where's the pictures of this Van?
I'd really like to see what this magic carpet has in store for you.

I like the eagerness Smile seems your more eager than I am, speaks volumes about your knowledge.

I haven't gotten around to it... and i'm seriously doubting it.
I'll be honest, I don't know a whole lot when it comes to vehicles, BUT what i do know about myself is that when it comes to a task.... I get it done. I'm just not sure if these tasks will put my work on hold as I am now a part of management, I wouldn't want this bad boy of a van holding me back Sad I have some considering and heavily thinking to do, pros and cons etc.

BONUS:
I have another van, which is NOT a volkswagen oldie, still an oldie nonetheless, a 1985 Ford Econoline, super low kms (150k), overall good condition, much more reliable of a vehicle, camperized.... the thing is these aren't so aesthetically appealing to me Smile But it will probably provide a lesser amount of aches and pains with throwing time and money out the window for the investment.

pics will be tomorrow!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

I think you should go for it.
In every forum where you can get free info you will always encounter folks who will "challenge" you if you appear flaky in any way. But at the core clearly you have the love and enthusiasm for VW Vans, and this is the main ingredient - when you have this you will build upon it and learn what is necessary to do...
...the world needs more people who will love and take care of these beautiful old vans.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

I am as a whole a "just go and get it" kind of guy.

Be smart about it, check for extreme rust and other glaring issues but if it sits proud, is whole, and not a wreck..... Go get it if the price is right.

But......

From your description of your needs....... You need a ready to roll unit, not a project.

This is a project no matter how you look at it. Needs a complete cleaning, a new top, water system, starting problems, etc.

On top of this list, it needs as 16CV said, ten other items looked at and fixed NOW!!!

Until you've spent time with one of these units...... You cannot trust them to go from point A to point B without issue.
Once you've owned it, fixed it, loved it and driven it, they can be very dependable but that all takes time and money.

You?...... I suggest that you Pass on this one, let someone like dwarfvader grab it who can invest the love and time it needs into it right now.

Fix up your American iron and go to work for now. You simply don't have the time to set this one straight and you cannot afford a serious break down at this point in your life.

My 2cents anyway...........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

You?...... I suggest that you Pass on this one, let someone like dwarfvader grab it who can invest the love and time it needs into it right now.

...but if HE won't take it, it will be a sitting duck for them 'Evil Vanagon Poachers'!

Very Happy Very Happy
madmanvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

This thread is almost identical to one I had started about 5 years ago. I was about to buy a "don't know if it is water cooled or air cooled, I think it's an 83 or is it an 84?" And the thread went about the same...

The main difference is I love my time in my garage almost as much as I like my time on the road. And I think that is important to be a Westy owner. You need your love for garage and road time to be about the same Laughing

In my case, I passed on the van at that time. I later bought a 77 Westy and did the camper clean up, ignoring the mechanicals (it had a fresh rebuild).

Since then, I've had many VWs, trucks, motorcycles etc, and have become a bit handier in the garage and my 'disposable (whatever that is)' income has reached a point to where I could take a "LOOK it's only $2500" leap. I can attest to the expense. I'm already in 5-6k, and just now have the water system updates, fuel lines, brake lines all refreshed. I've budgeted 9k for the project WITHOUT a total rebuild of the motor, as the PO had done the water jacket 'head gasket' already with receipts covering the past 10 years.

I agree with others: Rock that US Van. It sounds like you favor road time over garage time.

BUT for the record, I do regret buying that first van - it recently sold locally for 4x what I would have bought it for with not much more than a good bath new tires.... Shocked Confused

Current Build: '67 Kombi goes Westy
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8343416#8343416
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

The OP is on a timeline, is depending upon transportation to get to and from his job, and has stated traveling limits.

I'll ask you this question;
You truly think he's going to just buy this Van , jump in it and be able to roll 3-5 thousand miles the minute he jumps into it without any mechanical issues?

It doesn't start all of the time right now--What else is wrong with it?
Anybody here know right off the top of their head looking at nothing but a type written message?

I didn't think so.

Back to reality--he doesn't have the time, or knowledge to get the entire Van completely gone over, repaired as needed, to hit the road in short order.

I wouldn't suggest him doing this--nor my worst enemy for that matter--
You guys want everyone to be gung ho on just jumping into a unknown vehicle,and taking off for the sake of an adventure.
This is a gypsy tactic at best.

He's depending on this vehicle for work.

Get real-you're doing him a big disservice, and are not offering any honest info to him.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

So what happened with this? Did you get it?
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Buying a 1983 Vanagon Reply with quote

Well the OP only has 10 posts and his last is the one that said "no power steering", so probably not.

He'd have a bunch more posts if he did buy it. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: