Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

When I installed a MK4 wheel to my van - I didn't have to cut the spline adapter. Perhaps they are different among the vans - but this was on a 2002 GLS. There is a white plastic bushing in there that pulls out (you can see it in the pics) - and then the adapter depth is fine. Perhaps but a bit of lube on it and it will be all good.

Also keep in mind that the EV wheel has a recessed area at the back of it that envelopes the clockspring/steering wheel angle sensor (do not break this as its very expensive!). A MK4 or B5 wheel is flat on the back and so the clock spring will be exposed.

I have lots of these adapters pulled from MK3s sitting in my garage -- free to anyone who wants one.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:

I have lots of these adapters pulled from MK3s sitting in my garage -- free to anyone who wants one.

Hmmm...I may hit you up for one of those if I can't easily locate one around here.

Meanwhile, I'm loving the versatility of this amazing van.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are four full sized garbage cans sitting behind the rolled forward rear seat.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

That's what you are supposed o do with a EV. Not just make it pristine, camp in it once in a while and then stare at it. I just redone my bathroom and it hauled the glass shower, plywood, tile, sheetrock, cement board, toilet, door, lights, vanity, cabinet and the million other things I needed for it.

Now I'm going on the 2nd bathroom and have had a whirlpool tub, tile, sheetrock, plywood, sink, vanity all hauled in it.

This is one thing that people can't believe my dad still does with his 1968 Bus. He hauls lumber, mulch and pretty much any other home improvement project goes in it. It was not built to be put on a pedestal, it was made to be used for various situations.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Yeah, I just make sure i put lots of tarps in there first. Took me a while to get all the drywall crumbs out once.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Yep, that's exactly why I've been driving VW vans nearly continuously for over thirty years. I recently completely remodeled our kitchen, and the Vanagon hauled all the cabinets, plumbing, appliances, sheetrock, large garden window and assorted bits n' pieces. I flog my rigs like a rented mule, and they always come back for more.

The common critique I hear from VW folks is that these are little more than a minivan; they are emphatically not minivans.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
Yeah, I just make sure i put lots of tarps in there first. Took me a while to get all the drywall crumbs out once.

Imagine my chagrin when Susan pulled up with this neat little load. There's still straw in all the nooks and crannies

The orientation is for emphasis

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

What really worked out nice was when I had to haul $1K in glass for my shower. That stuff is 1/2" thick and weighs a pretty good amount. Slid right in on the rear seat folded down.

As for the drywall, I'm past that. I got kids and they have done what kids do best, make a mess of everything.

The real mess was years ago when I'd take my dog to the vet and she knew it. So, to show her dissatisfaction, she'd take a big ol' smelly dump right in the middle of it while I would be driving. So, thank goodness for those rubber floor mats I bought 13 years ago did their job.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

So, we have an ARB awning, GoWesty brackets and the Yakima Widebody rack brackets coming, but I'm now wondering how you folks with cartop carriers and awnings situate them so that there's minimal interference between the two units.

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
So, we have an ARB awning, GoWesty brackets and the Yakima Widebody rack brackets coming, but I'm now wondering how you folks with cartop carriers and awnings situate them so that there's minimal interference between the two units.
Fabricate your own brackets. I'll be doing that soon but I have the bolt on drip rail on the passenger side. So, I have to make up my own no matter what.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Not the best picture. But it will get the point across.

This is a Fiamma awning on Fiamma brackets. I've used the GoWesty brackets quite a bit and prefer them. Both the Fiamma and GoWesty brackets mount the same basic way and the same basic height.

As you can see the top of the Fiamma awning is basically level with the roof. So roof racks clear it just fine. Your ARB awning will be the same way.

Edit, This one is mounted with GoWesty brackets. As you an see there is no real difference.

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Found a picture of one of my vans with the GoWesty brackets on it and no awning yet. Figured this might give some perspective on the brackets and their height. Your ARB awning really won't stick up above them.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Ok, thanks that does help. The rack mounts attach to the side of the poptop, and my racks are 6' long, which will probably put the carrier hanging slightly over the awning--I have a basket for the other side. Speaking of big heavy things on the top, are there any extra strength top shocks that will help lift all that stuff?

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the rear section of the upper bunk can be easily removed by just drilling out the rivets at the front? I'm thinking that removing that will make it easier to install my tent.

y u rune klassik?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Does anyone know if the rear section of the upper bunk can be easily removed by just drilling out the rivets at the front? I'm thinking that removing that will make it easier to install my tent.

It's glued in place. The glue is stronger than the board. Shocked

It's also riveted in the back. Far more work and destruction than you want to do for a top install. Wink
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks, that saves me a lot of aggravation. I had no idea about the glue.

y u rune klassik?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Honesty, after I get the front all done I put the front bed board back in and just crawl up there and to the rest laying down.

I'm 6'2 200+lbs so if I can fit up there most people can Wink
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

That's why you have kids. They get into those areas that are hard to get into. That's why my dad used to have me change the points on a 914-6 back when I was around 8 years old just because I could get in there. Another one was changing the brake pads on the inboard brakes on a 100LS.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

The rack is attached

y u rune klassik?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Looks good!! Very Happy
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Where are folks installing their fire extinguishers in an EV?

On my Vanagon, I was able to mount a Gloria under the front seat, but I don't think that's an option on the EV. I want it accessible, but not in the way.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: