Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 Java Green Bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Saw this on the local Craigslist and couldn't pass it up. A military member was needing to unload it so I took it for a scary test drive and struck a deal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has a simple cut and turn in the front, 1600dp and the body looks very dry. I'm going to fix some basic things to be more road worthy and then just drive while I fix. I prefer that over something that will be immobile for a year or more. It's got great patina and I will post progress as I go.

Got it home next to her taller fatter sister.

I wish someone hadn't sanded the decklid. Sad I'll be on the lookout for another og paint one or perhaps a holy grail vert one.

Needs interior very badly, But the dash is nice and uncut.

All four corners are nice and dry.

So during the scary test drive I noticed the brakes were way out of adjustment and so was the clutch. I got it home and put a jack under it, The fronts were so far out of adjustment it was on stopping on the rears. This was the guys daily driver! The front shoes were really thin so I ordered new ones. Next was the clutch issue, It is really hard to depress and the cable had two washers on it and all the adjustment was taken used up so I ordered a new cable and a spare as well. You can also see a spacer on the top engine bolt.

The infamous 34pict with a 009 and a fuel filter in the engine compartment to boot. Mad I'll fix all of that.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Well the original plan was to adjust the brakes and clutch cable and drive it with full intention of replacing the battery and seat section of the pan soon after. Now I'm changing the pan first and I pulled the seats and insulation for a through cleaning and brush on rust converter where needed and a coat of paint.

After a wire wheel, wire brush, shopvac, and a wipe down, I applied a coat of rust converter. The metal looks to be in good shape.

I have had a green dot Talbot mirror since 2003 and I may use it on this Bug, I have always loved Talbot mirrors.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Most mid life crisis guys buy a Corvette, I saw the '67 on Craigslist and it made me miss my old '67 Bug that was very incorrect for a 1967 Bug. The Java Green '67 will be similar but more correct.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

During the test drive I noticed the shifter was a little sloppy. I popped the shift coupler inspection cover off and found this, Someone had stuffed the rear section with foam and the forward bushing had traveled all the way to the back. Shocked

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Got a few parts in yesterday, Pan half, Rear window gasket, Shift rod bushing, Front brakes, And the proper length clutch cable.

Last night I started with the rear window gasket because it's leaking into the car. I crawled in the back and pushed with my shoulder and got it to move, But I thought I would push a little more before going to the outside to finish and it popped out onto the ground KABLOOIE! Mad

I already located a window for free about an hour away that I'm getting this afternoon. I eventually want to find the right one without the defrost grid but this will work for now.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Picked up the new window yesterday and popped it in. I cleaned the frame and waxed the paint around it before installing. Just making it easier on myself later.

Next I pulled the shift rod out to change the fwd bushing. I'm also going to replace the hanger bracket for it too. Note all the sunflower seed shells.

I pulled all the dreaded foam out of the rear section of the pan. I'm guessing the shifter rattled a speed and that was someone's fix. The second pic shows the bottom of the foam and the moisture it held working on returning the steel back to mother natures original version.

Another shot of the tunnel, I'm going to clean it out and use this paint product to coat it.
http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle-qt.html

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
I'm going to clean it out and use this paint product to coat it.
http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle-qt.html

I bought 5 or six cans of that stuff for my single cab. I'm using in all the pillars and frame members I can access. The spray tube is only 24" long. Sprays on nice.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Still cleaning the tunnel out with a combination of air and a shop vac.

Had a few beers when I got home and then went out in the Laboratory and had a few more and almost made a HUGE mistake installing the shifter bracket, The camera is pointing forward. Shocked

I flipped it around and welded it in.

I actually get a 2 day weekend so I am going to work on the pan half replacement in the morning.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Pan replacement is in and about 65% welded out which I'll finish up today.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Finished welding the pan up and rust treated the tunnel with the first coat.

Sanded and treated the pedal area so I can paint it and reinstall the pedals.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
BrianR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Keep posting it's an inspiration for me replacing my pans. Where did you buy your's from and how is the quality?
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

BrianR wrote:
Keep posting it's an inspiration for me replacing my pans. Where did you buy your's from and how is the quality?

The pan is empi and I got it from amazon, I trimmed it to fit with no problems.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

I am watching this one with interest, Awesome looking car! I have a 67 I want to do in java green, mine needs a bit of missing / rusted metal replaced though.

Java green cars rock!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

I went to install the clutch cable and noticed the weld broke at the forward ned of the tube. I cut an access hole to fix it I also noticed a small area where my shop vac did not get all the crud in the tunnel so I got it from the new hole.

I welded up the hole and stuck the tar board patch back on.

I had used up all of the green tunnel paint so I shot some black spray paint over the patch.

I cleaned and greased the shift rod and reinstalled it. I also fed the new clutch cable in as well.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Tonight I installed the freshly painted pedals with painted and antiseized bolts and hooked up the clutch cable. I ordered all new rear brakes and spring kit. Getting a little closer to driving the daily driver I originally bought. Brick wall

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Adjusting my clutch I noticed this brake line, Looks like only one wrench was used.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

The bug had no wiper motor when I bought it but the linkage was installed wipers and all. I thought that was weird but whatever. I pulled the linkage and it was frozen solid so I broke it down and got the shafts sitting in oil. I'm in the process of cleaning and painting all of the linkage pieces. I bought a used motor and ordered new bushings, clips, and grommets. While doing all this I saw lumps under a fairly new windshield rubber.

Sorry about the shitty cell phone pic, It's pieces of the old rubber gasket. I'm half tempted to just buy a new gasket and razor the other one out vs. trying to save it and end up braking the windshield which looks to be fairly new also. I'm all too familiar with Murphy's Law seeing as how I have already broken the rear window dropping it and my Girlfriend's last name is Murphy lol.

On a side note, I also may use this funky steering wheel I've been sitting on.

My plan for today is to get all of the lights working as about half of the functions dont. I am also going to install my new quarter window gaskets, Have a great day. Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Well I never made it to the quarter window gaskets. I spent time cleaning electrical connections. Ground strap, Starter, and Bulb sockets. I got everything working exterior except for the license plate light. I'm one step closer to driving it.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

cool project
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Enjoying your project. That looks like a Mooneyes steering wheel. I used a slotted spoke one in in my ghia til I found a used EMPI GTV.
http://www.mooneyesusa.com/15-inch-Metal-Flake-4-Hole-3-Spoke-Steering-Wheel-p/gs280cm.htm
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: