Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Video - Engine oscillation and noise, is this normal? '89 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Video - Engine oscillation and noise, is this normal? '89 Westy Reply with quote

This past Friday, I moved my van out of the driveway to load up for a short trip to the dump and I was hearing an unusual sound from the engine bay, as such I stopped just outside of my driveway and walked around/opened up the bay and the following videos are what I saw/heard. Van: 1989 Westy 2WD, Manual with Stock WBX (no internal engine work performed or gaskets replaced) approx 120k - 140k miles on WBX

(PS: I also sent these videos to the shop to ask the same question)

Is this normal?
Video 1: (34 seconds)
https://youtu.be/qUAyK2r87Bw

Video 2: (54 seconds)
https://youtu.be/JPDvwBtKMUg

Additional details:
This was 9/30 and the van was last moved approx 2 weeks ago. During the last week we've had a fair amount of rain (PNW, but nothing crazy). The first video is after just starting her up (maybe running 2 mins before the video, so the engine is starting from cold). The second video is a couple minutes later of having the van sit there and idle. In the second video the amount of oscillation of the exhaust and such is significantly reduced, but still has some oscillation.

Any other strange noises that i should be concerned about? (million dollar question but I thought I might still ask...for I am not sure what the clanking noise is (if it is the exhaust making contact with something else)).

I had the SS GW muffler system installed by a great local shop on 8/10/2016. Other work at the same time included:

Parts:
Exhaust System: w/ Cat, SS, 2wd (WBX)
Oxygen Sensor (86-91) (Tiico)
Water Pump (2.1)
Belt: Water Pump & Alternator
Belt: Power Steering pump
Belt: Air Conditioning A/C
Coolant Hose: Water Pump Oil Cooler, Sil - 2.1
Coolant Hose: T-Stat Housing Cooler, Sil - 2.1
Coolant Hose: Oil Cooler > H2O Pump, Sil - 2.1
Coolant Pipe: Cyl #2 Outlet Elbow w/ gasket (WBX)
Coolant Hose: H2O Pump > Cyl #4 & #2 elbow (WBX)
Coolant Pipe: H2O Pump > T-Stat Housing, SS - 2.1
Coolant Hose: Exp Tank > T-stat/Pump Pipe - 2.1
Coolant Hose: H20 Pump Pipe > T-Stat Housing - 2.1
Coolant: Blue, Concentrate (Gal)
Oil Cooler Seal (83.5-03)
Oil Cooler (86-03)
Motor Oil: 20W50 w/ zinc, conventional (QT)
Oil Filter (WBX, Tiico)
Drive Flange Bearing Ring O-Ring: M/T, Vit (68-91)
Drive Flange Seal: M/T (76-91)
Drive Flange Cap (T3)
Gear Oil: 210 - 80w140 (QT)
Valve Cover Gasket (Type1, WBX)

Shop Comments:
"Inspect exhaust system; exhaust
leaks present
Entire exhuast is in poor condtion.
Needs full replacement. Muffler is 1.9L WBX version.
"
"Diagnose: Fluid leak @ left rear area of van. Customer thinks @ inner CV joint
Numerous fluid leaks found.
Oil cooler seal leaking
H2O Pump leaking
RH driver flange seal leaking"
"Inspect fuel hoses. Customer think inner injector hoses and chassis were not completed when
other hoses were replaced. Wants new injectors and alum fuel rail if hoses need replacing
Fuel hoses have all been previously replaced by (shop name removed)."
"R&R Complete Exhaust Sytem with Stainless Steel
Additional labor required for any broken exhaust studs."
"R&R Water Pump (P/S & A/C Interfere)
R&R Water Pump; R&R Connecting Hoses.
Fill, Pressure Test & Bleed System
*Coolant pipe from H2O pump > T-Stat housing very rusty; replaced. Coolant hoses on T-stat pipe OG and worn out;
Replaced. Coolant elbow flange from Cyl #2 plastic; replaced
*Also replaced P/S & A/C belts"
"R&R Coolant Pipe from H2O Pump > Thermostat housing. (combo w/ water pump replacement)
"
R&R Oil Cooler &/or Seal Oil cooler had sealant on body; suspect may have been leaking; Replaced
"R&R Drive Flange Seals; Inspect
CV Joints w/ axles removed.
"
"Check gear oil.
Found gear oil level ~ 1 qt low.
Drained fluid & found piece of retaining clip for mainshaft on magnetic drain plug. Without clip mainshaft can migrate rearward eventually making contact w/ shift rod gradually increasing difficulty in shifting. Rebuild on transaxle would be required to repair."
"R&R Valve Cover Gasket: DS
During service also found DS valve cover gasket leaking; Replaced"

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Video - Engine oscillation and noise, is this normal? '89 Westy Reply with quote

let's begin with engine rubber mounts...

then we will see...
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Video - Engine oscillation and noise, is this normal? '89 Westy Reply with quote

Perfectly normal. Some lifters have bled down and you have a misfire because of it. Once the lifters pump up all should be back to normal. Sometimes you just get the ticking and sometimes it effects valve timing to the point of rough running.
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Video - Engine oscillation and noise, is this normal? '89 Westy Reply with quote

I'm gonna go with lifter noise as well. Recently bought a Van that sounded exactly like that. Per advice from the Samba I put a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crank case (oil was already low so there was room), drove it hard and after 5 minutes or so evertything back to normal.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Video - Engine oscillation and noise, is this normal? '89 Westy Reply with quote

Thank you all for the responses. I drove the van for 20 minutes, for the first 10 mins the noise was present but for the last 10 mins the noise disappeared and when I parked I got out and the oscillation was gone. I have now driven it from a cold start a couple of time since and haven't had the issue reappear...

thanks! Now I feel comfortable driving to Leavensworth for Oktoberfest 10/14

Thanks again for the help, greatly appreciate it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: