Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One of the first Syncros?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

Scanning the German auto websites and ran across this van:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=...;fnai=next

It's a '85 2-locker van with a big Syncro decal on the side. Here's the ad's translation:

One of the first Syncro, which were delivered. (Ur-Syncro) This vehicle was the Volkswagen AG as a concept vehicle "Syncro" for large distributors. Therefore, even the promotional material on the sides. Original prospectus available. The bus has the 1.9 liter water Boxer (DG) with Pierburg carburetor without Kat and 78 hp. It has 2 locks (front & rear) and a factory heater. The complete seating is available.

The car has only orig. ran 108000 km, as it was in operation only to Feb. 1998 and was shut down since. Former logout reason was the automotive tax penalty from 01.07.1997 for motor vehicles without G-Kat. Since the bus was never moved !!! There is nothing to weld. Nowhere!

The condition of the car matched in its class, in pristine original condition and is carried out in a beautiful 2-tone paint with chrome bumpers.
Key number: 0600/646
 Type u. Vers. 255-299
Engine Code: DG
 First reg. 09.07.1985
 Tyres: 205 R14 C
 Trailer weight 1800 kg

Has anybody seen this van with the syncro decal on the side in any VW material?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:

Has anybody seen this van with the syncro decal on the side in any VW material?

Check with Samba user "Boltze." He had an '85 pre-production Syncro and a broad knowledge of them.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

I'm curious what the VIN is on this van. I have a 1985 syncro that I was told was one of the earliest syncros.

Is has a VIN ending in 000118.
Henni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

Boltze is the only right adress to proove that

Hendrik
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

My singlecab has a 10/84 production date, 000090 VIN.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

It looks like a nice early Caravelle GL syncro. 85 was indeed the first official year of the syncro but several pre production models were made with genuine 84 VIN. I believe the brown van that Boltre own is such a van.

The decal looks like a pretty basic, probably dealer installed graphic. Not a "holy grail prototype" type of graphic.

Im fascinated by the use of the "ur-syncro" name. I always called my Passat (Dasher) GT Syncro an ur-syncro but that is another story.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

I PM'ed Boltze about the listing. I invited him to comment on this thread, but he has not, so I'll add his comment he sent me:

Interesting car, I think the truth it between the lines. It was not one of the first syncros. It was a demonstrator or promotional car of mid 1985 which was sent to several dealers and motor press companies to show the new syncro.
The Caravelle GL was 1985 the highest interior line. They built some blue, some brown (like mine) and some green ones. All of them were two-tone colored and equipped with some extras.
You can see the early manufacturing date pre summer 1985 by looking at the shift knob. It is the transporter version, not the GL knob. I think this is a early beauty, but the condition is in Europe not 8500€ worth.

There you go. Case closed. It's an early Syncro, but not that early.
Dimitrios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

My early Ambulance Syncro has the mushroom shift knob as well and the front diff lock knob can be simply pulled out you does not have to rotate the knob prior to pull it...
rryyoobbii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

We have a white early model Syncro here at the shop and interestingly it has the early style fuse panel. Also has the mushroom shift knob and pull to lock front locker
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

rryyoobbii wrote:
We have a white early model Syncro here at the shop and interestingly it has the early style fuse panel. Also has the mushroom shift knob and pull to lock front locker

Early fuse box is 85 (or older) model year. If Im not mistanken the new fuse box was introduced on the very first 86 models that were made as early as august 85. So that is definitely an easy to spot (and difficult to fake) sign of an early syncro.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: One of the first Syncros? Reply with quote

Earliest non-production syncros go back into the '70's.

Script/decor decals seemed to be more popular in the early 80's, usually applied by a dealer, although I was told it could be done at the factory upon special request. Most common script was 'syncro' and '4x4' and came in various styles.

My later model '88 white sinka syncro came with baby-blue 'syncro 4x4' on the rear side panels. I also have a color brochure from around '84 showing several decal types used.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: