Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 Pully Question..
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: 1500 Pully Question.. Reply with quote

I've had my ghia less then a month and have had limited shop time with it, been driving it as much as I can..

Anyhow when I got it it ran so so, and I drove it like that probably 100 miles.. we'll the other day I had some time for new plugs and point adjustment, mad the car run awesome... so yesterday had more time and thought I better check static timing, we'll I adjusted it to the first mark from left on TDC like I have with all other stock motors, took it up the street only to immediately turn around as it ran so bad.. I then set timing to middle, no Bueno, then the far right notch, much better and probably ran like it did before I screwed with timing... Maybe I will recheck points as doing a static test always makes them spark a bit, probably just replace them and condenser as they are pretty worn and we're way out of spec when I gapped them..

can someone explain the degrees on my crank, again I thought far left was zero but it's been a while since I've owned one.. BTW '69 with 1500 single port, 30pict2, stock dizzy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Pully Question.. Reply with quote

info here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251672
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Pully Question.. Reply with quote

thanks !! maybe I need to invest in a timing light though Ive never needed one before..

btw... I promise I use the search function most the time but couldn't resist and jumped to post Laughing
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Pully Question.. Reply with quote

IIRC, points have an effect on timing, so confirm points with dwell meter (50* +/then move onto your timing. The mark to the left...i believe is 5*BTDC. There should be a dimple in the other half of the pulley. The dimple is TDC. Good luck.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Pully Question.. Reply with quote

I just threw away an old dwell/tach meter last year as I haven't used it in years Embarassed

I do have a multi meter, I'll see if it has a dwell reading..

I don't think there is a dimple on this one I will double check...

mainly I was afraid it was running to good after adjusting points and thought maybe it was to advanced and running hot.. Oil was new but as soon as I get it running and confirmed that it's tuned properly I will change the oil, plan to use Rotella 15/40 diesel..

since I'm ranting, when I changed the Bosch plugs to NGK I had to reuse a Bosch in cylinder one as for the life of me I couldn't get the NGK to thread... kinda concerned about that as I tried multiple times with different plugs...
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Pully Question.. Reply with quote

Hold your tongue on the other side Wink sometimes you just need to walk away for a bit then try again to do what is fighting you.
You should have a timing light to make sure your advance is working properly. Yes as the dwell changes so does the timing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Pully Question.. Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Hold your tongue on the other side Wink sometimes you just need to walk away for a bit then try again to do what is fighting you.
You should have a timing light to make sure your advance is working properly. Yes as the dwell changes so does the timing

I tried that, tried gritting my teeth, chipped a tooth in the process.. Wink

tried the Bosch, went right in, pulled it out and retried the NGK, no go, put the Bosch back in first try...

I will try it again as I use the same method and take a break if somethings not working out, come back to it and there is no problem..
zzhayward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Pully Question.. Reply with quote

In my dealership training I was taught 'a car does not run down the road at idle'. I always timed them for running. Max advance for a single carb was limited to 28 degrees full advance. Dual carbs could be taken to 32 degrees full advance. 911's are not timed at idle either. I can remember the 911 turbo's hitting 5500 rpm during tuning, in the shop I worked in. Beautiful music.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 Pully Question.. Reply with quote

okay just to be sure as you never know what PO has done, I removed cylinder 1 plug and confirmed where TDC is.. second notch, replaced points, gapped, die electric grease and she runs great...no more ticking from the engine after a long drive getting her hot... I think it was a little advanced before and causing the motor to run hotter...

I still need to pick up a dwell just to see where I'm at, but I ran it about 30 miles today and it doesn't seem overly hot at all and no more ticking while it's cooling down..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: