Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cloth interior, in a 55 Euro???
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Cloth interior, in a 55 Euro??? Reply with quote

Just got a 55 Euro (early) with original cloth interior. Its a deluxe but not US spec. I thought splits were the last to get cloth interior and maybe some standards? Anyone know what these are? It is a straight back 55. Not split curved and I have the complete set front and back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johan_l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, the headliner I thought were cloth up until 61? At least here in europe I think...

For ovals there are even new upholsery available - not the WCM type but EXACT like original. Don't know the quality, but have heard they are great. Bit more expensive though...

http://www.himmelservice.de/english/start.htm
Bastard Split window <-- Translate
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, headliners are cloth for longer but the seats and door panels are pin stripped cloth like a split's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vw did cloth interior on the Euro models through the 60's, I personally have a 60 Euro with blue and white striped cloth top surfaces and vinyl side pieces both front and back. Looks alot like matress ticking.
johan_l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certanly not an early beetle expert, but I have seen quite a lot of ovals... Maybee european 'export' models interior differ from Your US 'export' interiors? What should seats and panels look like then? Vinyl? On cabrios maybe, but most european 'export' ovals I have seen (including my own 57) have all-cloth interior, except floor and tunnel which are rubber.

On the link above there are pictures of the cloth available on the export-models.

But then, I may not understand what you mean, yes, it is different cloth on the late ovals than on the splits. But it is still cloth of some kind and not vinyl.
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US bound (US Spec) ovals were all vinyl I believe. So a cloth oval seems rare.
johan_l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What´s rare over there is common here and the opposite. Very Happy There are some standard models also, which kept even more old things, but these are hard to find here in sweden, most were exports. But we kept semaphores up to 1959, though with the bigger rear window and new dash amongst the other normal changes. Well, whatever ovals sure are beatiful! By the way, I belive that Sweden were the (in number) biggest export market for beetles during some years in the 50-ies. Sadly most barn-finds seems to have already been discovered. Splits starts to collect higher prices, while late ovals still are relatively cheap...
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vw did cloth interior on the Euro models through the 60's, I personally have a 60 Euro with blue and white striped cloth top surfaces and vinyl side pieces both front and back. Looks alot like matress ticking.

Yeah thats what I have. Any idea on the worth? Not ripped, fairly clean and complete?
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: r Reply with quote

euro bugs had the cloth interior up to 65. 60 to 65 had seat in cloth and back/sides in vynil.

himmelservice sells only the cloth not complete seat covers.
it is pricy but the quality is like OG.
i will use on my 01/55 oval

cloth for 60-64 bugs with vertical lines can be bought in italy. i had it from cantonericambi.it
johan_l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they (cantonericambi.it) also have the cloth for the ghia 1960 (has cloth in center, vinyl in sides). Mine is fair, but the vinyl has become yellow in some spots, so I have thought of the possibulity to redo the front seats vinyl and then to replace also the cloth would be the best idea I think...
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: t Reply with quote

try to contact them providing a photo of the cloth/seat. maybe they have.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsick wrote:
US bound (US Spec) ovals were all vinyl I believe. So a cloth oval seems rare.

I have a US Spec April 55 that came with cloth interior and have the birth certificate to prove it.
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the story behind that Coad. Mine is definately a euro with a kph speedo.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsick wrote:
Do you know the story behind that Coad. Mine is definately a euro with a kph speedo.

Nope, other than the usual "weird things happened in April/May of 1955" line that everyone uses when they talk about those cars.

There was another 55 rag at Kelly Park built 10 days after mine and it had the identical cloth interior too.

Personally I'm happy with the cloth. That oxblood red vinyl most of them had seems to be impossible to match, and the cloth gives the car a richer look in my opinion.
veedo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a company in the U.S. that sells the cloth interior. I have a 55 euro oval that I got without an interior.
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westcoast classics do real nice interiors
himmel services in germany i think reproduced early material (pretty sure that is where west coast gets the material)

http://www.classicvws.com/type1.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sergivw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this discussion today and I think I can tell you about my own experience.

I live in Spain and some months ago I bought a swedish '56 oval. It was completely original and, of course, it had the cloth interior we're talking about.

I bought a complete new interior from Ingrid Oppermann's Himmelservice (cloth for seats and door panels, headliner and carpet set). The quality of all the materials is the best I've seen, and the price is obviously high: about 950 euros including shipping to Spain. Cloth for the seats is sold by meters, so you must add the cost of the upholstery workshop. It is expensive but the results worth it !! Much better than any TMI.

Himmelservice's materials are the closest to the original. Ingrid is friendly and they deliver very quickly.

Next week my oval will have all the interior work done. I can send pictures if anyone interested.

Sergi. Barcelona.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
put-put...whee!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a '57 U.S. spec Beetle with what's left of a factory cloth interior hiding under some old JC Whitney vinyl seat covers. The car is a Diamond Green car with heater outlets more like a '56, more forward on the heater channel, so I'm guessing late-'56/early-'57. I don't see evidence of the bumper overriders being added later, and has MPH speedo suggesting a U.S. spec car. I haven't done the birth certificate thing, but the OG owner, a 88 year old man, bought the car new in Eastern Washington and lived most of his life in Pullman.
Had to laugh at the "mattress ticking" comment. That's a pretty close comparison.
65 Riviera
66 Deluxe
67 SO-42
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: