Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a wood headliner?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

Oh now I get it. I also located the material via Everett's reply on this post. I'll take a peek and check out the condition. Thanks for the new vocabulary work also Clara. "directional flaps" and yes bar soap 2x4 rubber mallet and push up to give the board the curved bend.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266265&highlight=directional+flaps

Clara wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
Clara what does this mean? Do I remove one of the screws? "do the fresh air directional flaps before, as the upper screw will be hidden after the panel is in place."

I'll try soap now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It means if you are going to install new directional flaps in the fresh air box, do that before installing the cab roof panels.
After the cab roof panels are in, you won't be able to get to the upper screws, so that window of opportunity will be closed.
Don't remove the upper screw and leave it out.

If your fresh air flaps are fine, ignore the above and just put the cab roof panels in.
Like someone else said, install the cab roof panels before the wood ones behind.

Might be good to put soap on both long sides of the panel, the flat side and the curved side, come to think of it.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

and this complete thread with images of the vent.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102071&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davebryant73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood headliner - birch wood but what color stain for 1971? Reply with quote

What color stain do you use on the birch wood headliner for a 1971 T2 camper?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

westy orange, gives it some pizzazz! Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood headliner - birch wood but what color stain for 1971? Reply with quote

davebryant73 wrote:
What color stain do you use on the birch wood headliner for a 1971 T2 camper?
The original headliner was not stained; most likely Westfalia used a lacquer or shellac brushed on with the headliner in place.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
DYNOARNO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

Hi everybody, does someone can give us the size of the 2 panels in the cab?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

DYNOARNO wrote:

Not really. First have no idea of the year of your bus.

Plus those panels are not just a simple rectangle. What you should do is find someone that will trace out each onto paper. Use those templates so you can mark and cut out your own.

Do keep in mind that 1955 till sometime in 1961, and later 1961 thru 1967 are different panels.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

DYNOARNO wrote:
Are you looking for length & width? I don't know what those dimensions will provide you, because the panel has a curved shape.
Are you asking for a template?

If so, there is an early template and late template for the forward cab panels (adjacent to the fresh air box).
You will need to tell the year of your bus.
DYNOARNO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

My bus is a 1966 westy...
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

There are 3 versions of this panel (and variations on them)

If you want to DIY, the basic thing is about 33 x 22, but has only one straight side, next to the airbox. You can spend some time and DIY.

I make interior panels for split buses.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=942798
sixtyonecrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

I installed this wood ceiling in my 58 Standard! It was a challenge, but it turned out pretty well!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

sixtyonecre very tidy, how is that wood slat held up? Love your 58 what was the original color?

sixtyonecrew wrote:
I installed this wood ceiling in my 58 Standard! It was a challenge, but it turned out pretty well!

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
DYNOARNO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

Thanks Clara,

I know you make panels for slpits buses, but I'm in France, and affraid of the shipping cost....
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

Here are a couple photos of the ceiling in my bus. I reproduced the ceiling from the original design. Very simple. This is a 1966 Sundial Camper.

Cut a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/8" plywood or ??? into 2 pieces 2' x 8'. These will fit from the outside edges to the almost center. A ripper of about 10" or so goes into other center gap between the two large panels.

From there you run batts over the exposed seams and you're done. I used the 1/4" x 1 1/2" oak "hobby boards" from the Home Depot to make the batts. I used stainless steel screws and finish washers for a nautical look.

The entire interior was pretty beat up and I used the old cabinets for templates and reproduced the camper interior. If you are simply looking to build a headliner this method works well. It is NOT a Westfalia ceiling. As you were.

dgsaz

EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

DYNOARNO wrote:
Thanks Clara,

I know you make panels for slpits buses, but I'm in France, and affraid of the shipping cost....

This guy sells them in the Netherlands:

https://www.facebook.com/rickysbuspanels/
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
Here are a couple photos of the ceiling in my bus. I reproduced the ceiling from the original design. Very simple. This is a 1966 Sundial Camper.

That's really nicely done.
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
here are couple more pics for DIYers:

this last picture shows the thin wood that runs in the side channels to help support the headliner

Are these the OG bows or did you make them?

(trying to figure out best way to make them myself - they're two pieces, right?)
jpeters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

I'm about to do the headliner and poptop install on my 65 Westy and have a couple questions.

First, is there any electrical that needs to be run above the roof panels for any of the stock lighting? My recollection was that the overhead light was attached to the rear part of the fresh air vent, but in one picture in this thread, it looked like it was mounted to the headliner between the fresh air vent and hole for the poptop.

Second, does anyone have a link to the stain/varnish combo that people have used? The Baltic birch I have is very light. I'd like to hit it with a coat of varnish just to assist in future cleanup and to give it a slight worn look closer to what the original looks like when pulled.
'65 Bug
'63 Bug

neverdnf on Instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

jpeters wrote:

Second, does anyone have a link to the stain/varnish combo that people have used? The Baltic birch I have is very light. I'd like to hit it with a coat of varnish just to assist in future cleanup and to give it a slight worn look closer to what the original looks like when pulled.

Varnish and let time do the staining. If you do use a stain, the varnish will darken over time and the interior will end up too dark.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a wood headliner? Reply with quote

jpeters wrote:
I'm about to do the headliner and poptop install on my 65 Westy and have a couple questions.

First, is there any electrical that needs to be run above the roof panels for any of the stock lighting? My recollection was that the overhead light was attached to the rear part of the fresh air vent, but in one picture in this thread, it looked like it was mounted to the headliner between the fresh air vent and hole for the poptop.

Good idea to have sure the wires for the front and rear dome lights in place before installing the roof panels.

I like a clear satin finish. no stain.

my old 65 SO-42:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: