Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

knocking on the solenoid is working for now
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

So I got to my car after work and click nothing.

I ended up pushing starting it and getting home.

This morning again click but I use a rubber mallet and gently hammer the solenoid and it starts right up.

Any good options currently? I may have a spare solenoid but unknown working condition.

Can I remove just the solenoid or its best to remove the entire starter assembly? I know that will be a job in itself. If I did get it out could I repair the solenoid?

If worst comes to worse I'll take it to the shop but I'd love to see if I have options.

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

Typically Things have auto starters in them Bosh SR17x.

More than likely it is the solenoid.

Pulling the starter is not too bad. Disconnect the battery then go under the car and disconnect the battery/alt wires as well as the spaded ignition switch wire. Then there are two nuts-once inside the engine compartment near the firewall and one underneath.

You can unscrew and desolder the solenoid and remove and clean up the copper contacts. Also look at the braided wire between the solenoid and the starter motor.

Here is some info on how to do it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531782&highlight=solenoid+rebuild+solder
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

Thank you for that! I forget there is a search function!

I now have the starter on the kitchen table ;)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

After years of age, its not uncommon for the wiring to get old and corroded and have trouble supplying power to the starter. If you are still having issues after installing a new starter, you may need to install a "hard start" relay.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

Old worn or corroded brushes will do the same thing.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

I always find that "percussive maintenance" quite useful at times.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

my wife uses that on me.. Embarassed
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

dang nabbit!

Starter quit on me again. After about a week of working fine.

I just get the click and thats it.

I'm thinking brushes need a looking into as suggested.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

edit
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: knocking on the solenoid is working for now Reply with quote

Look on the bright side:

Having a starter that needs a tap to get going means you can leave the keys in the car and not worry that someone will steal it...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: