Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

This past year I've been really unhappy and I didn't know why. I had a great job, a wonderful apartment, and got accepted to grad school for physical therapy. This past summer, I quit my job to travel before school started and I picked up surfing in Bali along the way. I came back to NYC and I decided not to go back to work and I surfed all summer, I found the importance of prioritizing lifestyle. It was when I was on my surfboard looking out at the waves I realized growing up in NYC, I was always on the the grind and work came first then lifestyle. I'm on a journey to find that perfect balance.

I decided physical therapy school will always be there for me and I wanted to focus on a lifestyle that supplement my happiness so I deferred grad school. I've always wanted a vw bus but could never justify it being in NYC. I had an opportunity to move west and start my own business. I shopped around for a month and I bought a 1968 Volkswagen Bus. Its original, 1600 CC air-cooled. The engine is a dual port about 50 hp. The vehicle doesn't have any rust and has always been garage kept. I am the 3rd owner.

I fully understand the responsibility of owning a classic vw bus and I'm not your typical girl that bought this bae impulsively. I really want to take care of Sunny and that's why I'm reaching out to the vw bus community. A big goal of mine is to be able fix any issue potential issues Sunny may have. Quite frankly, I lacking in my mechanical skills but I'm determined to learn. If anyone in the LA area needs a helping hand with their bus I'd love to offer my help to learn and equip myself with valuable skills and knowledge for the future.

This Sunday, I am driving to Seattle from NYC to be reunited with Sunny. She is at my friend's garage. My friend and I are gonna split up and drive both vehicles down the coast to LA. I'll be in the road for the rest of this month. I'll also be in search of the perfect surf spot along the west coast.

This forum is great and I'm stoked to be part of the community. If anyone wants to meet up while I'm out west I'd be open to that. I'd love to hear your story.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Nice looking bus. Have a fun trip.

This might help
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662613&highlight=road+trip+tools
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Thanks really appreciate it!
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Good luck nice Bus.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Great looking bus, congratulations! Feel free to ask any questions you need to. Owning and driving a bus is very rewarding and it is also a character builder. Drive cautiously and get to know your bus and how it works. I hope you'll keep us updated.

In before Tcash posts the "I'm thinking of buying a vw van" video.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Link

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
lhwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Get some tools, jack stands and a good jack. Get a Bentley manual for your bus. Everything you'll need will be in there. Anything you can't figure out will be right here on the Samba. There are so many VW savvy, very smart individuals who have so much experience. Tehy want to help and do not charge for their wisdom and knowledge.

Find like minded VW folks i.e. a club, friends, mechanic

I bought a Ghia a few years ago, and the Sambanistas helped me take the car to the ground, build it back up and make some cool modifications along the way. A great group of people, VW People.

Good luck

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Congrats on the life change and the VW Bus. These are great, reliable vehicles when properly taken care of. Don't travel alone! Have fun and be safe. I am in Chicago if you are in the area and need anything.
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

There's so much to learn on these buses. You say you have no mechanical skill but want to learn. That's great!

But before learning about the bus, learn how to SAFELY work in it. Working on cars has killed skilled mechanics. (Someone mentioned jack stands)

1. Gravity
2. Spark
3. Explosive fuel
4. Fixing something incorrectly.

You may put yourself and OTHERS in danger if, let's say, you incorrectly fix the brakes or put wrong tires on...before you do ANYTHING search here. Lots of people have done it incorrectly before you and you'll learn.

Also...maybe a good idea to take a night course at a voc school in Auto Repair or something? They may not cover the bus, but you'll learn valuable skills that will last a lifetime...

But they may allow you to bring the bus into the shop too?

Have fun, drive the bus like it's a giant Molotov cocktail...oh wait it is Wink
caseyr02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Congrats! Welcome to the club.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

You have done something most of us only wish we had had the guts to do when we were your age: living life before getting tied down with a career, mountains of debt, family, etc. Enjoy your bus and your new lifestyle; please keep us informed so we can live vicariously through you!

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I'll defiantly keep everyone updated. I already ordered the bentley manual I plan to get tools and a jack once im in seattle.

chicagovw, Im traveling with a friend but once im in LA i will be traveling solo to find the perfect surf spot for me. I have a machete just incase ha!

I'll make sure ill be safe while I work on the bus
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

If you make it as far as San Diego please stop by
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
NYCynthia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I heard san diego has great surf. I will most defiantly stop by Very Happy
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Stock 1600cc in a Westy Bus- other views may differ, but I'd keep the speed to no more than 60mph. Geared down trans. to push a heavy vehicle- many engines have been blown on long drives by pushing the motor too hard. Go easy on it until you reach LA.

Regarding hazetguy's post- very helpful for the newbie but one correction: your oil strainer bolt is also your drain plug. You have a type I engine, so over tightening that bolt will only possibly strip threads, and not destroy the case.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

NYCynthia wrote:
I heard san diego has great surf. I will most defiantly stop by Very Happy

Cool. I live near the beach. I've helped many travelers.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Shocked

That's a nice bus! Is that Arizona Yellow?

Congrats on the new home on wheels Smile

Edit/addition: I just noticed the table behind the passenger seat. I've never seen this configuration. Its like they took the table and spice rack off the ice box unit and attached it to the back of the seat. Interesting.

My 1968 Campmobile
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Well when you are in Seattle we should meet up. I live on Beacon Hill just off I5. Nice bus and it looks familiar so it was in Seattle?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
Shocked

That's a nice bus! Is that Arizona Yellow?

Congrats on the new home on wheels Smile

Edit/addition: I just noticed the table behind the passenger seat. I've never seen this configuration. Its like they took the table and spice rack off the ice box unit and attached it to the back of the seat. Interesting.

Smile

I hear ya hikelite...this bus is far from "all original," although it looks real purty in the photos. I beleve that is the spice rack that should be on the sink/ice box cabinet.

everyone is being so nice to this newby, a lot different then normal...

Best of luck on your adventure. I would suggest Hwy 1, it's a nice drive and very bus friendly. Make sure you take the Mendocino exit, you won't regret it.

Safe travels.
’65 Deluxe Build
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

I hear ya hikelite...this bus is far from "all original," although it looks real purty

everyone is being so nice to this newby, a lot different then normal...

Best of luck on your adventure. I would suggest Hwy 1, it's a nice drive and very bus friendly. Make sure you take the Mendocino exit, you won't regret it.

Safe travels.

1) Yep. That's a good looking bus for a first time buy.

2) That is likely because she is super cute and not being an idiot about the bus.

3) In 1989 I lived in an abandoned house in Mendo. Totally worth it.

Last edited by Wasted youth on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 52

Jump to: