Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One picture tells the story...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

So...who wants to guess what I was trying to get done and what ended up happening? Rolling Eyes

Hint: time for help from the Meister!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

That happened once to my Craftsman breaker bar, at least it was exchanged readily.

And I was using a cheater pipe with it too, so can't blame Craftsman, stressed it more than it was designed for.

In 40 years, two others of those were broken, but to people I had lended it to.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

46mm 3/4 drive socket and a big impact gun,that's what I'd try. Or same socket with 3/4 drive breaker bar.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

that's what I use powerful air gun but a 36 MM socket on a bug Wink
I do have a torque meister tool now.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

Use this its cheaper and has worked every time for me. I have both tools and have not taken the torque Meister out of its box in over 15 years. Just hit the flat edge with a five pound sledge hammer. Nut is reusable when you get it off.

Comes in both sizes so order the correct one.

I had a similar incident except the 36 MM Craftsman socket shattered into three pieces.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

Yep, original torque meister is all ya need... Or the ole whacker if you enjoy beating on stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
All_talk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

I've always used a 3/4" drive socket with a 3/4" breaker bar and cheater pipe as necessary. Set it up so the bar is horizontal and stand on it! Hasn't failed yet and makes a lot more torque than your average rattle gun.

I have had situations where the tire wanted to spin against the floor but if you lock the e-brake and put it in gear you can get it done.
john the red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Use this its cheaper and has worked every time for me. I have both tools and have not taken the torque Meister out of its box in over 15 years. Just hit the flat edge with a five pound sledge hammer. Nut is reusable when you get it off.

I had a similar incident except the 36 MM Craftsman socket shattered into three pieces.

bingo!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

john the red wrote:
pondoras box wrote:

bingo!

Where can I buy one of these?
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

CIP 1 has them check under tools.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7040

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7045

Here are links to both sizes. 20 bucks and you have both sizes.

BTW the torque buddy is NO way near as good as the torque meister.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
CIP 1 has them check under tools.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7040

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7045

Here are links to both sizes. 20 bucks and you have both sizes.

BTW the torque buddy is NO way near as good as the torque meister.

Thank you!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: One picture tells the story... Reply with quote

just weld a the cheater tube right to the socket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: