Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Air-operated windshield washers were not VWs best idea, in my opinion.

I don't know, after I put in that new SWF switch in mine back in 92, it's worked fine... well, except when the bottle started to split and leak, and I had to get a different one.

The stock wiper switch in my Baja, the washer button feels nice even though I've never hooked any hoses up to the valves. I've had it since 1994... maybe I should check that sometime (I bet it leaks, Twisted Evil )

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

What if I was to start with something like this to 'replace' the spare tire as a compressed air source?

http://www.viaircorp.com/05gallon.html

The unit is small, and has two ports - one for filling, and the other to run to the washer tank. If it fits in the front luggage compartment (I'll have to measure), in theory it should work at least as well as the spare tire, but with the added bonuses of not depleting the air in the spare, and having a dedicated valve for filling.

Would I need some sort of regulator in the line from the air tank to the washer tank so as not to shoot fluid at a hundred miles an hour?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

Well, the thing is, you don't need to use the spare tire as a source if the stock water bottle is functional. It's got an air chamber so you can't overfill the fluid, and the maximum pressure of 35PSI at that point is more than enough to push all the fluid out. (so yes, if you used some other air storage tank than a spare tire, you'd have to regulate it down below 35PSI)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Well, the thing is, you don't need to use the spare tire as a source if the stock water bottle is functional. It's got an air chamber so you can't overfill the fluid, and the maximum pressure of 35PSI at that point is more than enough to push all the fluid out. (so yes, if you used some other air storage tank than a spare tire, you'd have to regulate it down below 35PSI)

Thank you for the info.

After doing some more research, I believe I am going to go with a small electric pump and momentary switch, and bring the windshield washing ability of the car out of the dark ages. Wink
OldRanger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

Trying to find the hose and regulator for the washer bottle to spare tire. 1962 Beetle.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Washer tank to Spare Tire Hose Reply with quote

I take it you want it as a period accessory, because, as I said above, you don't need it for the washer system to work. The car came without one and as long as nothing leaks and the valve in the wiper switch still functions, you just need to put fluid and then, compressed air in there and you're good to go. The hose was a fairly uncommon accessory... and, no one has made them in decades! You'd best go and place a WTB (Wanting To Buy) advertisement in TheSamba Classifieds.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: