Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog Lights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

4" as the 7 inch won't fit depth wise on the bumper the back of the light hits the nose of the bus. 4" does great that's what I have

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

In terms of effectiveness, all else being equal, bigger is better.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

I've got a question about wiring fog lights because I'm blowing a fuse. I have a 1975 bus.

Yesterday I wired up two front and one rear fog light just like this diagram below using a three position original fog light switch.

Per the diagram the fog light switch (E23) is being powered by the white 8 amp fuse in the #2 spot on my fuse box. This fuse also services the right rear tail light, right rear side marker light, the front running lights, and the license plate light.

The front fog lights run through a #87 rely but the rear fog light doesn't, again per the diagram. The rear is powered directly off of the fog light switch from it's own position, #83b.

So pulling out the fog light switch to the first position turns on the front fog lights fine. Further pulling out the fog light switch to the second position, to turn on rear fog light, causes the 8 amp #2 fuse to blow. I've tried it twice.

Is this an indication of a short in the rear fog light system or does the circuit now require a 16 amp fuse?

Thanks.

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

How big (wattage) a bulb in the rear fog light? Usually, they're brake light sized bulbs, but sometime you get the real Euro versions with 100 watt H1 bulbs in them...

If you have a suitable ammeter (10 amp or better), you might measure the existing lamp load (without the rear fog light) and see how close to 8 amps you are. You could then measure what the rear fog light draws, and see how much it will add. I wouldn't up-size the fuse, as it is telling you that the load on the headlight switch has increased substantially (not good for it's lifespan). On the other hand, if the rear fog lamp power draw is low, you could wire to fuse #1 (the left tail lamp circuit) instead of fuse #2, and it could be OK.

As a test, cobb in a temporary circuit to power the rear fog light through an 8 amp fuse and see if it holds. If it does, it likely isn't shorted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

I was hoping to hear from you telford. Thanks again for your advice. This rear fog light didn't come with a bulb. I really didn't think about the bulb so I grabbed the first one that would fit from my bag of spares. Just went to check and I was using W 1141; looks like a single filament. Google says it's an 18.4 watt bulb. Too much?

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.

Last edited by BellePlaine on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

No - that's only 1.5 amps. Should have no problem lighting that. Do the cobb wiring check and see if you have a short or something.

I use this in place of the fuse for testing purposes:

BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

Fixed the problem, it was a short. While looking for a place to wire a "cobb check" I noted that the spade connector which plugs into the bulb assembly and provides the power was also touching the housing, and grounding out. Easy fix, thanks for helping me think it through.

I went out a bought a multimeter with a 10 Amp function. I tested the circuit without the rear light at just over 3 amps. However given the long draw from the fog light switch to the rear fog light, telford, would you recommend powering the rear fog light via another #87 relay? And if so, and if I put the relay in the engine compartment (my preference) would I still have to power the relay from the starter or could I use the coil or directly from the battery?

Last edited by BellePlaine on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

BellePlaine wrote:
So pulling out the fog light switch to the first position turns on the front fog lights fine. Further pulling out the fog light switch to the second position, to turn on rear fog light, causes the 8 amp #2 fuse to blow. I've tried it twice.

Maybe a loose contact inside the 2 position switch allowing the current that activates the relay from your headlights (L2) into the 8 amp S2 fuse for your rear fog light.

Just a thought.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
BellePlaine wrote:

Maybe a loose contact inside the 2 position switch allowing the current that activates the relay from your headlights (L2) into the 8 amp S2 fuse for your rear fog light.

Just a thought.

Thanks BayCreamPuff. I found the short at the rear fog light. They now work!

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

BellePlaine wrote:
Fixed the problem, it was a short. While looking for a place to wire a "cobb check" I noted that the spade connector which plugs into the bulb assembly and provides the power was also touching the housing, and grounding out. Easy fix, thanks for helping me think it through.

I habitually put a 1 inch length of 1/4 inch shrink tube over all bare terminals to guard against that kind of thing.

Quote:
I went out a bought a multimeter with a 10 Amp function. I tested the circuit without the rear light at just over 3 amps. However given the long draw from the fog light switch to the rear fog light, telford, would you recommend powering the rear fog light via another #87 relay?

Probably not - it's the same magnitude load as a brake lamp or turn signal.

Quote:
And if so, and if I put the relay in the engine compartment (my preference) would I still have to power the relay from the starter or could I use the coil or directly from the battery?

I's probably wire from the starter. The ignition switch has enough load, and wiring to the battery is awkward, terminal-wise. [If it was a type 1 bus and had an alternator, one could wire from that.]
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

If you like, I can map out how the factory fog light wiring is in my pickup. The rear light wire is purple on black, FWIW.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

Bump.

I just installed these Bosch driving lights on my '77:

I pulled them from a 1993 Opel Frontera that I own in Italy. (A Frontera is an Isuzu Rodeo with an Opel 2 liter motor)

The driving lights are made in Sweden and take H3 bulbs:

I pulled the bumper to drill the 3/8" holes to mount the lights. The mounting bolts are not too long so I did not have to shorten the bolts before remounting the bumper.

I searched for the part number on the back of the lamp and found what look to be the same units for sale on Amazon in the US and at several vendors in the EU under Bosch part number and description: "Bosch 0306606001 Pilot 160 Clear Lens Driving Light"

I haven't wired them up yet but I will wire them to my new auxiliary fuse box that is fed by a 10 gauge wire and use a relay switched by the rear defroster switch.
BUS74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ride Man !!! Surprised Very Happy
sdavidg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

Bosch Halogen from and older model Jeep I found at the local junk yard. PerLux 200T mounted to the top rack. Right now I only have the Bosch wired up, since I'm not completely convinced with the Perlux. Used a defrost switch since they are much easier to get a hold of.

The Bosch are mounted onto an aluminum plate that double as my license plate holder.

gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

I wired up some Hella foglights ahead of a big road trip. I wired them trough the unused rear defroster switch -- no relay involved. Works great.

I like them for nighttime driving since I can leave them on for improved visibility, but I don't believe they blind oncoming cars. They are nice and bright for daytime running lights as well.

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

Looks awesome!

Just a regular guy
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

Where I live, in New Mexico, fog is a rare occurrence. I decided that rewiring my bumper-mounted lights to be driving lights would be much more useful. So, I did that. Now, when driving at night (nights happens every day, or something like that) I have a lot of light to throw at the deer hiding in the junipers. These driving lights come on with the second position of the fog light switch, irrespective of the state of the headlights. When wired as fog lights, they come on only when the headlights are on low beam.

Here's how I rewired it. If any future owner wants, they can wire it back to fog light wiring.

I was also interested in having the rear fog light come on whenever the rear lights are on, using position 1 of the switch.

I apologize in advance to Nigel Skeet, who will be horrified.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

Picked these Daylighters up on a yard sale, 10 yrs ago, for a couple of dollars - then they sat on a shelf in the garage. Bought our bus in April this year and finally found a home for them.
Only issue was the mounting bolts were too long and ran up against the frame under the bumper. I hack-sawed them down and the fit was then good to go.
Not bad for $2. Wink

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
Picked these Daylighters up on a yard sale, 10 yrs ago, for a couple of dollars - then they sat on a shelf in the garage. Bought our bus in April this year and finally found a home for them.
Only issue was the mounting bolts were too long and ran up against the frame under the bumper. I hack-sawed them down and the fit was then good to go.
Not bad for $2. Wink

nice daylighters, but i cant say i am a fan of the "bra". But as long as you dig it, run it.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog Lights Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:

nice daylighters, but i cant say i am a fan of the "bra". But as long as you dig it, run it.

Thanks, though it's not a bra it's a bro (or manzier).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS8nXc3X-6k
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: