Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston and Rob: Ordeal, and Triumph
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Have a Look Here! Reply with quote

For the exterior fans and my other fridge mods, look HERE:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2131485#2131485

and for the interior muffin fan, see HERE:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6019385#6019385

Despite all that, when Winston was at 110, the fridge was pushing 50. Fortunately my food was well-sealed and not especially perishable. The Dr. Peppers were still cold.

I went out today and looked at the skylight--one of the modded ends was a bit loose, so I tightened that, and then coated the arms and the surface of the arm track with wax/Teflon spray lubricant. I noticed that the arms no longer hung up on the sides coming down and I realized that, with a 'CLUNK,' I'd not had the skylight all the way down--the arms had been hanging up. Maybe that's a fix.

Still not sure on the slider window--I'll have a look at the Bentley and see what the exploded view (if any) is, so I can see what all's lacking and why it's rattling. Shook Winston's rear rug and swept out the 'parlor,' I'll wipe and scrub him down tomorrow when I clean the house.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Shurflo, Shurflo... Reply with quote

Bonus Vanagon Points to anyone who gets the title allusion...

Winston was his usual angelic self last hot weekend, although I have a couple of observations--I need some kind of clips, perhaps as basic as clothespins, to keep the flaps of the side windows of the 3-window tent from hanging down into the door and (more worrisome) over the range. The van STILL gets as hot as 100 degrees plus in the full sun, but Winston cools quickly when a friendly cloud stops by.

The engine continues to purr along, not a flicker of the oil light since the new sender and the pressure bypass valve--even after a long highway run that SUDDENLY ended in a mile's worth of bumper-to-bumper for paving operations on a very hot summer night. Fan ran, needle moved a bit, and I kept praying that I wouldn't get rear-ended AGAIN as we crawled along. Finally we reached the crest of a hill and I was able to let Winston cool as we coasted down--in fits and starts.

I noticed that one of the snaps on the rear hatch's mosquito screen cover had pulled off onto the end part riveted into Winston's interior panel. That was a fairly easy fix, I found an ancient pair of Singer snap and eyelet pliers and a replacement snap that I squeezed on through the hole left by the broken old one. Must be more careful unsnapping that, although the snap looked badly applied.

I think the fossil Delta 6 knew its time with Winston was numbered--I accidentally turned the switch a bit too far and it didn't work for one time, then worked fine for the rest of the weekend, but that decided me to get going and install the GoWesty Shurflo/City Water check valve kit. It was... HOT in the garage.

I put a bit of PB Blaster on the three screws, then pulled the fuse to the faucet while it soaked in. I was wondering if it's possible just to remove the front of the sink cabinet, I worried that just pulling the drawer wouldn't leave me enough room--and I forgot about the plastic tabs that keep the drawer from sliding out, but didn't damage them when I did get the drawer out and the cabinet door off. I don't think it IS possible to unbolt and unscrew that cabinet faceplate. Nothing in the Bentley about that.

I found a small ratchet wrench/screwdriver (had a bit holder and bits) useful to remove the screws holding the faucet to the sink and the one hose clamp holding the water supply hose to the Delta 6. I also pulled the clamp holding the hose to the side of the cabinet, planning on re-using it, but that was not to be.

The Delta 6 came out almost intact, leaving just the last half-inch in the water supply hose, the city water unscrewed easily enough with a wrench and I pulled the electrical connections with my Leatherman. I used Barkeeper's Friend liquid cleanser to scrub the sink where the Delta 6 had been and then some adhesive silicon sealant to lock GoWesty's stainless steel adapter plate, which matches the sink, in place below the supplied stainless steel screws.

I cut just the yellowed end off the water supply hose with a pair of garden shears, figuring that the city water adapter check valve assembly would more than make up the difference when I cut the water supply hose to put that in. I also wrapped some silicone fusing tape around the end of the city water line fitting where it meets the hose and I put a bit of Ace Silicone Grease on the valve's threads, the hose connection, and onto the bearing surfaces of the Shurflo. I also used plumber's tape on the threads of the city water connection.

Crimped the snot out of the supplied female spade connectors on the leads to the Shurflo, and hit the ends with conductive grease for good measure. I should look into one of those ratchet crimpers, off to Harbor Freight, I suppose. I was able to re-use the double plastic connector housing for the power line, by lifting the supply wire connectors a bit as I pressed the faucet connectors in.

I was relieved to find that I'd installed the check valve in the right direction. I had to re-use the original clamp that had held the water supply line onto the Delta 6, but it was still in pretty good shape. The valve's body blocked my use of the old clamp again, but I ran a zip-tie behind the plate holding the stove top to the cabinet and into the slot cut for the drawer guides, and that held the valve and hose clear of the Half-Pint and Winston's drawer. I wish I'd had some kind of faucet wrench to tighten the Shurflo into the adapter plate, but I got quite a lot of pressure onto with just my hand.

Not able to test him yet with the city water, but all in all I'd say the Go Westy kit--which is derived from work some of us did here on the Samba--is a good deal for the money. They did the work of making the stainless steel adapter, providing good instructions, making sure the fitting and connectors were right, I don't mind rewarding them by paying for all that.

I was a little awed when it all worked, and when the Shurflo really DID have adjustable flow control. Vive le rheostat! That's pretty neat! I'll report on its actual use next week. Between the windows in the tent and my home made screens on the open front windows, if there's any air movement at all Winston's cabin air changes out pretty quickly. Hot and still just leads to HOT in the Van. I'm still just sleeping in the sleeping bag liner at the start of the night, with a quilt handy if I get cold.

The skylight is STILL rattling--I'll try tightening all the other bolts next. I see that rebuilding the sliding door's rattling slider window is going to involve removing the whole assembly from the van, so I suppose I'll end up waiting until we paint Winston, hopefully this winter, to do that. Replacing the window seal is certainly due, and I HATE the faux chrome versions and how horribly they look after they've deteriorated. I did find some furred strips for the inner window and Van Cafe again immediately sent along the new guides and a new skylight knob, which I realized that my old one was rather obviously partly-melted.

Shocked

I'd left a message that express mail was fine, even if that meant... NO COOKIES!

I got a smiley face on the shipping notice and TWO packages of cookies. Love those guys.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Have a Look Here! Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
The skylight is STILL rattling--I'll try tightening all the other bolts nex!

MANY things can cause the skylight rattle.

If your twist knob is stripped you will not be able to tighten the lid enough.

If the rollers of the scissors are bad, it will rattle. (I fixed with the HomeDepot bits that Terry Kay recommends some where....)

If the long plastic cover over the scissors gear box is broken, it can rattle from the flexing of the big fiberglass top.

If your seal is bad, it can rattle or whistle causing a rattle.

The big fiberglass top flexes and can make it rattle.

I am going to put the $3.57 pull shade mod from Walmart in and maybe that will help stiffen it too. (I do not know where that thread is.)

Basically all that vent related stuff is loosey goosey and can rattle.

It IS annoying.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy fix for the tent window flaps: Don't unzip all the way down. This creates a little pocket that you can tuck the flap into.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Danke Schoen Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you, guys. I'll run through that list on the skylight, r39o, and you're always good for a smile and wise answer, FNGRUVN. I do know that the rattle goes away if I so much as reach... back... and put a finger on the skylight itself.

8 ways to tweak... or something. But I do need to hunt down and destroy the remaining rattles. One of the thread covers on the grill leg is disintegrating, may just be a bad one. I think I bought some spares...

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Hot! ShurFlo good! Reply with quote

Winding down the season at the job site, I wanted to report back on the ShurFlo and the rest of the week. There was some mild excitement, mostly involving Agilis = Hard Michelin Tires and a clutch while trying to stop backing on a dirt hillside with debris under the rear wheels.

Shocked

After some shared embarrassment and killing him twice, Winston and I got over that and back on our way without sliding into anyone or anything.

Verdict on the ShurFlo--well worth it, good mod, my thanks to the people who found and worked on that before GoWesty packaged it up. The variable flow control is WONDERFUL, I could tell I was using and wasting less water, or would have used and wasted less water if I hadn't left the faucet on for a second or two. Mutter. I finally bought a highly-rated Harbor Freight ratcheting crimper after the ShurFlo installation, I've had bad luck with crush-on fittings and decided to do those as well as they can be done.

I did take a small ratchet wrench and and an extender and tighten all the bolts on the skylight, CAREFULLY. It helped quite a bit! Just a few rattles from that direction, but the side window continues noisy. When I get Winston painted I will take the slider window home (the sole survivor is on the door, the other got 'jalousied') and rebuild it, or else pay Kenny Shock to do that with the parts I've bought.

You always find 'one more thing' you need to do with the van, such as getting rid of the !@#%^#^! shelf paper on the underside of the upper berth. I keep forgetting about that stuff when the top is down, it's flaking off and falling down when I'm camping in Winston with the top up. I'll lift the top, pull the flats, heat-gun and peel off the shelf paper and paint it as I've done in the rest of Winston's interior, except the panels behind the kitchen.

FNGRUVN's solution about not quite opening the side windows all the way and tucking the flaps into the remaining 'pocket' is helpful! I sometimes feel like a turret gunner with my head sticking up into the three windows of the tent as I watch all around me. The nice part was seeing some deer early in the morning come down and graze in front of Winston.

I wrote elsewhere about the fun I had getting stuck in to traffic on a hill, now I'm mulling over Levi's point about the engine moving enough to circulate the coolant vs. moving the engine as little as possible. I am putting a lot of weight on Levi's words, and I'll watch the needle and listen to the fan carefully--hmmm, perhaps rev when the fan runs might be a good rule.

I need to check his oil and coolant, given the fun conditions, but the oil light has NOT flickered since the new sender and the oil pressure valve, under ghastly conditions. He's living up to my high opinion of him. I would love for some cool nights and soft rains, but, at least, in these conditions, he's done well.

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: A Month Later... Tinkering, Planning Reply with quote

Finished out the season in good style, and Winston was great that last week and afterwards. Again, one of the very best things about camping in a Westfalia is that you can pick up, move out, leave nothing behind and be comfortably on the road in a very short time. Winston's steel was more comforting than ever after I found that a bear had clawed open and robbed a tent... ten feet away from him. A bit shaken, I followed my usual drill for readying Winston for sea, got him on the road, and he cruised easily home. Still getting 22 mpg, I guess the other 2 mpg were the product of those old big squishy tires he had--or the E10 in his little engine. Still running well, though.

Got him home, removed the perishables, washed all his plates and utensils and checked things over. I think the new ShurFlo faucet will make doing a better job washing things at the site more easy, but it's hard to beat the heat and extended cycle of a dishwasher. The next time I cleaned the house, I gave Winston the same drill, scrubbed the stove and sink with Barkeeper's Friend Liquid, which really gets through the gunk, and the Pergo floor with diluted Simple Green, washed all his linens and towels, still getting things neat and organized.

In the weeks since, I found and bought a Snap-On Blue-Point Metric bubble flaring kit on E-Bay, I'll use that for Winston's new metal fuel lines. Bought a Silver Paint pen at Wal-Mart, it was a 'pen tip,' not the chisel tip that others have used on the rear logos--but it did a pretty good job with a long night's careful work. If I can find a chisel tip I might go over the logos again.

I've had my issues with Winston's radio reception. After the good rubber one I first installed into him got eaten by the UV, I bought what I thought would be good--it was a fake one designed to make it look like you had a dedicated cell antenna. Never quite fulfilled my expectations, so today my gearhead friend and I went to a salvage yard, where I bought for $3.23 an anodized stainless steel one off a wrecked Saturn that screwed right onto the universal mount I'd gotten with the rubber antenna. Even in the garage, the difference in reception was quite noticeable, so that's a score. Put some Loc-Tite on it and wrenched it pretty positively down.

My fossil Motorola flip-phone's antenna base finally broke off, so I got a new LG 800G semi-smart phone, which has, among other abilities NOT including GPS an MP3 player. Ducked into Radio Shack tonight and got a RCA mini to RCA 'record player' cable and hooked first my Kindle, then my phone into my older Pioneer stereo system, to which I added an 'Auxiliary' twin RCA jack. I can now have the Kindle read to me or the phone play music for me while we're driving. Both the Kindle and the phone charge off the USB port, so I bought a cable common to them both so I can also charge either from any of my 12 volt outlets with the adapter I bought. Kind of nice to have a vehicle so old have so many modern features.

It's likely I'll go up to Fort Collins to join the Rocky Mountain Westy camp-out this year. I'll talk to Mike about one of those locking storage boxes if it'll work on Winston with his Pergo floor, and what they'd want to install a locking drawer under his passenger seat, also. There is also the matter of the new tuned exhaust--I'll reach my decision gate on that. PROBABLY better to do that before I get Winston painted, in case, unlikely, of an accident or scratches while installing.

And, after a 12 week wait, I finally got the 'Axle Gland Nut Removal Tool' I ordered off of E-Bay, so if I DO have more business with Winston's rear castle nuts, I won't have to swap the alloy wheels for an old steel one every time I need to remove or tighten those. What's needed now is the courage to get serious about the new metal fuel lines, my planned-upon Winter project when I can take my time.

One more item--bought one of these at Harbor Freight:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's inexpensive, and has both magnets and a hook to hold the '24' LED side in place. I thought it might be useful for work under Winston. Does a pretty good job of lighting up Winston's interior, I used it testing the new gadgets tonight and I could imagine hanging it from the tent's lifter bar or steel. Not a bad deal for the money, and Vanagon-friendly. There are always times when you don't want to use the house power. Uses 3 AAA's.

And I am very tired.

Best!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a light just like that last week and placed it over the slider as our new interior light. We'll be testing it out camping over the next week. Cheap and easy, and it beats plumbing in the 12V wired light that had been planned.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: The Right Bits for the Oil Pressure Bypass Valve Plug Reply with quote

Just making sure that you know--those slotted/disced bits are called 'Hi-Torque Bits' and were once pretty common. They are made by Cooper Tools.

http://apexbits.com/apex-hi-torque-screwdriver-bits.aspx

If I can get a cheap set of them, I might. Those are used for the 'coin slots' as our Vans have on the plug for the oil pressure bypass valve.

I was going bats trying to remember what they were called before a kindly friend supplied the information I am now passing on.

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: A Follow-Up: Winston's First Oil Change Since Reply with quote

'Tis Fall, and a middle-aged Vanagon owner's thoughts turn lightly to... Winterizing. I do intend to replace all of Winston's fuel lines with new ones, as much of them metal as I can, I need to learn what I can about Chris/tencentlife's routing, get the PolyArmour and learn how to cut and bubble-flare it, get Gates Barricade rubber line and those spring self-tightening Fuel Injection clamps...

Shocked

I get tired just thinking about it! But, yesterday was warm and supposed to get to 70, and so I seized the day to take Winston out, drive him to the gas station, dose him with Sea Foam and Marvel Mystery Oil, and change his oil. There was a slight touch of ominousness, though, because that would be the first oil change since... RED OIL LIGHT! And the repair to the pressure bypass valve described earlier in this thread that got the light turned out.

Winston started on the first try, with no lifter noise. I SHOULD have filled him sooner, the gas in the tank will now be winter blend, which doesn't store as well, but, with the Sea Foam to stabilize it and suck up condensation over the winter, I should be okay. One nice piece of news, he got 23 MPG on the trip up and down to Ft. Collins and the RMW Campout! That was gratifying. Chatted with the shop owner, who agreed with my gearhead friend that I should pre-soak Winston's new oil filter during the change, since all the oil wouldn't... quite... spill out when I screwed it on.

The reason the oil went a year and a half is that I'm now told that you change the oil BEFORE storing the vehicle, when the additives will do the best job of protecting the engine from corrosion. Winston burned a quart in all that time. I also used the Classic Castrol 20W50 GTX, after a call to that car show told me that with an aluminum engine not run that far, dino oil is as good for corrosion protection as that much, much more expensive 'Castrol Edge with Syntec' technology I got on sale at NAPA.

What came out was black, but not sludgy, and flowed like new. I got my stuff together and unscrewed the magnetic drain plug, which was sludgier than in my yearly oil changes, but not too bad... Took some wiping with a paper towel, though. Duly pre-soaked the WIX filter with clean 20W50 while Winston dripped... and dripped... Got my oil additives together, those being 4 ounces of Red Line Engine Break-In additive for the ZDDP and BG MOA for cleaning and cheap insurance. I should do the hard math and see if I'd actually pay less for the good oil, the Edge with Syntech claims to HAVE the ZDDP, so it MIGHT be cheaper than the GTX, the Red Line, and the BG MOA. I should do that. That would be rational.

Shocked

Ah, the fun I've had getting an oil filter wrench into position to remove Winston's filter! That is, before I got the big oil filter PLIERS and started loosening the old filters a lot more easily. A lesson about an old Vanagon oil filter... Drain it into the pan... Leave it upended... Upend... wait.. drain it again... and again... I got quite a bit more oil out of the old filter each time I did that. I tried a few novelties... Such as pouring clean oil on top of the Red Line additive in the measuring cup, then putting it into Winston, and repeating until not a bit of the sludgy red ZDDP remained in the measuring cup. I also filled the BG MOA can with oil to sop up the last of that. For what I'm paying for those, I want every drop.

While things drained out and trickled in, I also acted upon the advice of a locksmith who'd fixed our front security gate the day before. He said TriFlow or silicone lubricant CAN be used in a lock, I'd always thought it was graphite only. No. I squirted some of the very good German high-quality Silicone Larry Blazer himself sold me into Winston's rear hatch lock. At once, it started to behave a LOT better, it's always been fussy about turning. That was a pleasant revelation.

Got the new, soaked oil filter onto Winston, it kept bubbling up, so I did the 3x repeats in reverse before wiping the nipple and screwing it on... Put in a total of 4 quarts, plus the additives... and, finally... the moment of truth. WOULD the RED OIL LIGHTGO OUT?

It did! A bit longer than usual, despite pre-soaking the filter, but in no time at all, and Winston purred agreeably as I backed him back into the garage and plugged in the Schumacher battery tender that goes through the Yandina to both batteries. The end of the extension cord I use for that is coming off, I rejoiced to discover that those heavy-duty Harbor Freight cord ends will fit in the GoWesty electric inlet plug. It's a matter of taking a half-hour to install it.

He's asleep 'til I do the fuel lines--I need to get a rubber cork of the right I.D. for his fuel tank for when I do that. Anyway, I thought you all might like to know, the news is good, and I have learned many new and useful things.

Best!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleep well Winston. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kjono09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Winston and Rob: Ordeal, and Triumph Reply with quote

Just fixed my red oil light problem with a new oil pressure relief valve. Thank you for sharing your story it helped!!

Submariner
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Winston and Rob: Ordeal, and Triumph Reply with quote

Very welcome. Winston's been VERY happy with that Castrol Edge 5W-50 synthetic oil--although I'm not QUITE sure about Castrol's promise that other additives obviate the ZDDP missing from modern oils. But he hasn't... done that...

<sound of wood being knocked>

Shocked

since. I may research a bit and see if I need to add that Redline Engine Break-In additive (PURE ZDDP) like I do with Big Dodge, the 70 Dart.

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: