Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85.5 Stroker Pistons???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Alright, I did not bother to search! Rolling Eyes

I'm working with what I got, a stroker 78 crank in a clearanced case but stock bored. Are there anywhere some stroker 85.5 jugs or even 87s????? Confused
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/STROKER-Piston-Cylinder-Set-85-5mm-x-82mm-Cast-p/85.5x82cc.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

gkeeton Beat me to it, they are on sale now too!
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

The barrels need modification to clear the throws of the crank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Being 34mm pin height, they are perfect for 80 stroke.
78 stroke, you will need longer rods or deck the case to get the deck height in normal limits.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
78 stroke, you will need longer rods or deck the case to get the deck height in normal limits.

Yes. But personally I would rather stay at 78ish stroke and do whatīs necessary to get correct deck height. 78/78,4 stroke and stock length rods is 1,75 RR. 5,5" rods are just shy of 1,8 RR both can work well. This setup can deliver very good overall power. anything from a stomp puller to a nice 130 hp daily driver. Going 80/82 mm stroke messes with something in the combo and makes it very difficult to get the tuning right. Dont ask me why, because I canīt explain it. It just is so.

T
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Great feedback, thanks! Cool

However, this concerns me:

Quote:
STROKER Piston & Cylinder Set, 85.5mm x 82mm Cast, Type 1. These can be used on 78-84mm stroked cranked, and slip into 1300-1600cc cases. This cylinder set fits a 90mm case opening, and a 93.8mm head opening. These will withstand 7500 RPMs, and are tolerant of around 8psi boost!
Pin Height is 1.335". Wrist pins have a .155" wall thickness. Pistons utilize a 2mm, 2mm, 5mm ringset.

Already have a set of 94s I could use, but don't really want to open up the case. Are there any known stroker 85.5 piston/cylinder set ups already out there? Confused
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

The set I had in my hands weighed a TON but this was 4 years ago.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Great feedback, thanks! Cool

However, this concerns me:

Quote:
STROKER Piston & Cylinder Set, 85.5mm x 82mm Cast, Type 1. These can be used on 78-84mm stroked cranked, and slip into 1300-1600cc cases. This cylinder set fits a 90mm case opening, and a 93.8mm head opening. These will withstand 7500 RPMs, and are tolerant of around 8psi boost!
Pin Height is 1.335". Wrist pins have a .155" wall thickness. Pistons utilize a 2mm, 2mm, 5mm ringset.

Already have a set of 94s I could use, but don't really want to open up the case. Are there any known stroker 85.5 piston/cylinder set ups already out there? Confused

The 85.5 set ACN sell are for stock 1600 case. That is the outside diameter measurements of a stock 1600 jug.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Kool! Cool

I did get a quick response from them assuring me that the case does not need machining! Razz

Been waiting for a while to not just find these but coming up with the extra $$ for them. Just ordered them yesterday! Smile
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Got the jugs on the weekend!!! Shocked

Wow! Just 4 days! Anyway, was back from camping early enough to do a preliminary fit and did have to grind a tiny bit on the bottom of the cylinders to clear the rod nuts, less than a quarter of an inch. Needing to dig out the heads and pushrod tubes and the process of seals and torqueing it all taking longer than the time I had, decided to stop there. However, I expected the need to shim the cylinders but, though the pistons clear the crank, they have way too much deck height!?! Confused

Did not have the rings installed when I measured the deck height but still, 0.095" seem like too much! Last thing I did was install the rings but did not have time to recheck the height. Will do that later this week and take some pix too. Neutral
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

However, I expected the need to shim the cylinders but, though the pistons clear the crank, they have way too much deck height!?! Confused

Did not have the rings installed when I measured the deck height but still, 0.095" seem like too much! Last thing I did was install the rings but did not have time to recheck the height. Will do that later this week and take some pix too. Neutral

modok wrote:

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

yes thats too much, thus the 5.5 rod Shocked or cut the case ...not my first thing to do, but some cases need it any way so it's a good way to go on those. or shorten the cylinders. also when you clearance for the rod nuts be sure they have enough rood for some missaliginement uppon assy....and going into other holes.. and the position of the crank(pushed back to the thrust bearing good), and the piston on the rod when checking..many maistakes are made clearancing....and spelling.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Okay, thanks all for the feedback/info! Smile

Finally did get it all together and fired up! Got the the stroker pistons and also went with the 5.5" rods which went to zero deck, 0.040" shims took care of that. Stock dual port heads pulled from a dead motor but looking almost like new, a "special bus grind" cam which I have yet to measure, and fed by a Holley (by Weber) progressive carb which was running fine on the Bug's 1600. Also running a 009 distributor on points. Had a hard time getting it to idle and has an intermittent "miss". Took off the carb, blew off all ports and jets, replaced the used plugs with another set of used plugs and at least got it to idle, tough rough. After some tweeking, installed it in the Bug. Cool

It was too late for a test drive but drove it to work today and it ran well. Still with a bit of a miss and does need quite some time to warm up before idle sets. The bottom end was put together with used parts from my pile and of course the oil pressure drops after it warms up. Now, the reason I put this one together was as a spare motor to keep the Bug running while I rebuild its 1600. I do have another 76 or 78 crank which I may use on that rebuild if this set up works out. Think

Anyway, will prolly do a tune up, swap distributors, adjust, ect. to see if I can make it run/idle smoothly but so far so good. Cool
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
a "special bus grind" cam which I have yet to measure

It's the same as an "RV" cam from the 70's. Good thing it's not a 3/4 race cam.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
a "special bus grind" cam which I have yet to measure

It's the same as an "RV" cam from the 70's. Good thing it's not a 3/4 race cam.

Got it from Bill May many moons ago. I threw it in an 1835 also put together with used parts, which of course was short lived as the case started coming apart. But it was a screamer!!! It would squeal the tall tires on the Plump Truck with ease! Mucho power! Razz

I'll try to get this motor to run better, as in smooth. It's pretty much a "test bed". If it does perform as I think it should, I will build a similar one properly with new parts and such. As I said, I already have a brand new 76 or 78 crank. With these pistons and maybe a mild cam, it may be a better choice of engines for the Bug. Plus if it's torqy enough, it may double as a emergency replacement for the Dormy! Cool
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

fire it up for a few seconds(20) and turn it off then feal the header pipes carfuly to find the cool one ans that will tell you where to be looking for an issue.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

FWIW, I did check temps while on the test stand. Though there was difference between them at the pipes, the head temps just at the port exits were within 20 or so degrees from each other. Once I got it to idle and run for a while, I threw it into the Bug. That was pretty much all the time I had to deal with it last night and even with its issues it took me to work (13 miles) just fine with plenty of power, though I didn't "push it" all the way. Work in progress. At least it isn't leaking oil... yet! Razz
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

look for vacume leeks...like dirty stripes on the carpet Shocked .there are a few things that can cause your issue. but I dont mess with the hollywebbler progressive stuff.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Update: Been running the little stroker on the Bug and it does have great power! Having issues with idling when cold but it most likely has to do with the old carb. Aside from that, cruising at say 70-75 mph and stomping on the pedal, it jumps very quickly to 85!!! It likes it and so do I!!! Razz

I have to take apart the Dormy's engine before Havafew in a couple of weeks. I think I should take this little stroker, put the Dellortos on it and install it in the Dormy just to see how it does! Think
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: