Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Beetle Pan
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

I'm trying to install the pan and I think I'll have to get a new one. I want to plug weld, but my measurements are off so there is no way I can do that with these pans. Here's a picture
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also it doesn't close at the end

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

To me it looks like you got a repair pan rather than a full pan.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

No it's a full pan Very Happy

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
chopped73beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

Where in ct are you? I'm doing pans and rocker on the passenger side this month. This will be my third time doing it on separate bugs. I bought the Wolfsburgwest pans and it fit like a glove , no trimming at all.

The way i do floors is remove old floor and test fit the new floor and then fit the body back on, Making sure the hardware fits up.

what floors did you get? Are you doing rockers too?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

I'm in Manchester. I got floors from Johns Car Corner in VT. If by rockers you mean heater channels, then yes. I'm actually planning on getting Wolfsburg west pans as these ones are ruined now. The edge isn't large enough, they're rusting, and an unplanned rainstorm filled them with water for a few days. They are also like 21 or 22 gauge. It's good to hear the WW ons fit as I really don't like having to trim them as I also think I'll mess up Very Happy .
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

I've been messing with my floors and I'm a bit upset. They wouldn't sit flat so I removed the rear support and welded that to the floor. Well that went on crooked and it didn't work Rolling Eyes . This is becoming a real fiasco!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

from large photo you uploaded, it looks like there's room to trim some metal off on the back, inside edge (near the "transmission tunnel". That should allow the section by seat rail (as shown in your first photo) to fit closer to the tunnel ....
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

Yes sir there was and I did, but there's still a 1/4 inch gap. I also had to shave some off the front on the passenger(this is where I tested cutting near the transmission) I cut too much up there and now it won't be able to get welded up front. So many problems I know!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

And it still won't sit flat Rolling Eyes
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

Do these crappy pans also have crappy seat rails? My crappy pan's seat rails appear to be made out the same thin gauge metal as the pans ...whereas the OEM pan rails used MUCH heavier gauge metal. SO ...more work to cut the crappy rails off the crappy pans; cut the good rails off the rusty pans and weld them onto the crappy pans. More expensive, better fitting pans are looking more and more like a less expensive option in the long run ....
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
...More expensive, better fitting pans are looking more and more like a less expensive option in the long run ....
This is exactly what I'm beginning to think. This wouldn't of happened if the guy at WW knew what he was talking about. I called and asked when pans would be in stock. He said about 6 weeks. I said alright and went to VT for pans. The next day WW had them in stock Shocked . And yes they have the tracks as the same gauge of pan metal. Sorry for my little rant.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

That indeed is a bummer ...obviously the guys who make these pans don't have an engineer on staff!!
I wonder if the new, weld-on seat tracks (http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113701421D) or (http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-701-435) are made of proper-thickness steel? At least using these would eliminate one step in replacing crappy tracks ....
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

I'm going to get some WW pans and I heard they have good solid tracks. Is this not true?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

I'm posting pics of the old pans to see if I can get opinions on if I should use them. They predict it'll start snowing by the end of the month so I have to hurry. Is it okay if I use these?

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

I think if you tack-weld them to the tunnel flange along the edge of the pan (where you don't have room to drill holes and do it that way) ....and do it on the top-side AND bottom-side, you should be okay. Maybe have a tack-weld every half-inch or so when you're done. Do the drill-holes-in-the-pan-and-weld-thru in the places where there is room to do that. Clean up the welding with a flap-disk on the grinder, and cover with seam-sealer ...good to go. IMO
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Pan Reply with quote

Alright one last problem, those supports for it don't sit flat on the pan.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: