Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

You can also test the voltage at the starter while trying to start the engine. You may have an internally corroded positive cable from the battery to the starter. It would test fine at rest (say 12.6V) but then would drop low when the starter is engaged if that is the case. Too much resistance in that cable would give you similar symptoms to what you have.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The West Coast Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Thebeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
2 or 4WD? I had my hot lead touching the tank strap. I drove it 150 Mi one day and stopped and came back out and it would not start.
The cable was pinched on top of the reversed manifold outlet and the tank strap. Can you say direct short?

Stacy

The gas tank had a wire pinched?

I've taken the tank out twice in two years. First time it went back in just fine, this last time it felt like I had to force it. I chalked it up to being exhausted.

I hate to pull it down to check...but that could be a problem you think???

Or am I completely reading this wrong?
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

Please post whether you have an automatic or a manual transmission? Also, I know you got the starter from RMW, but could you also post the brand & model number of the starter? As stated above, your new engine is higher compression and will be harder to turn over.
Thebeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
Please post whether you have an automatic or a manual transmission? Also, I know you got the starter from RMW, but could you also post the brand & model number of the starter? As stated above, your new engine is higher compression and will be harder to turn over.

Sorry, its a 2wd Manual trans.

Its the Hi-Torque Bosch Starter. Product Code: SR0408X

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Bosch_Hi_Torque_Starter_p/sr0408x.htm
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
You can also test the voltage at the starter while trying to start the engine. You may have an internally corroded positive cable from the battery to the starter. It would test fine at rest (say 12.6V) but then would drop low when the starter is engaged if that is the case. Too much resistance in that cable would give you similar symptoms to what you have.

X2.

From what I understand, the 1983 Vanagon had a pretty lousy positive battery cable. I would bet that your wiring or grounding to the starter is not adequate for the job any more.

There is a similar thread running right now that is applicable to you as well. You might read this ongoing post for the content regarding the wiring path from your battery to your starter:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665494
Thebeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

So I go home and grab lunch, decide to give it a try....she fired right up, go figure.

No lurch or anything. Tried it 3 or 4 more times and everything was fine.

Still a little hesitant, but everything leads me to believe I'll be replacing the wire from the battery to the starter.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it still fires up when i get off work now.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

I would be hesitant to believe it fixed itself while you were away.

Somewhere there is a connection issue and you have moved enough wires and connections that it has responded. You need to really isolate the problem to have a known repair. There is a corroded wire or connection somewhere that is causing this.

Otherwise it could leave you out somewhere stranded.

Just my opinion...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thebeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I would be hesitant to believe it fixed itself while you were away.

Somewhere there is a connection issue and you have moved enough wires and connections that it has responded. You need to really isolate the problem to have a known repair. There is a corroded wire or connection somewhere that is causing this.

Otherwise it could leave you out somewhere stranded.

Just my opinion...

oh I just want to drive it around the neighborhood! Very Happy
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

If it has full voltage at the starter and grounds are all solid, there could be a chance you received a defective starter. (fyi, the adaptor is produced by me)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thebeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
If it has full voltage at the starter and grounds are all solid, there could be a chance you received a defective starter. (fyi, the adaptor is produced by me)

I was told I didn't need the adapter, that it was a direct fit.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

RMW website wrote:
This starter when used in conjunction with our starter adapter plate will give your Subaru conversion that extra starting power over the stock Vanagon unit.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

Thebeas wrote:
westyventures wrote:

I was told I didn't need the adapter, that it was a direct fit.

The SR0408X, if that is indeed what you bought, requires the adaptor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thebeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

Honestly I asked them a while back if I needed it and they said no that is was a direct fit. Probably miscommunication on my part.

Sounds like a really easy fix though.
Thebeas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

So...I'm a dumbass, I can admit that.

Went back thru the email where the guy said my starter was a direct fit. Went back to my work order that was emailed to me...yeah, I didn't actually order the hi-torque starter I thought I did. I ordered the original Bosch starter for my 1.9.

Damn, I didn't even notice there were multiple options when I ordered.

Anyone need a low torque original starter?!?!

So what's the best option now? The hi-torque starter I thought I was getting? Or is there something better? And obviously an adapter now.

I do appreciate the help everyone has given...this is all a major learning curve to me but it's slowly coming together.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

Thebeas wrote:
So what's the best option now? The hi-torque starter I thought I was getting?

Yes.
It starts effortlessly with that starter just as it did in the engine donor vehicle.
You should consider upgrading the battery to starter lead to the larger later model version or the equivalent.
dustibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

I used to run this setup and starter was always slow as well... I added another engine ground and WOW what a difference. I thought the trans ground would be good enough, but it wasn't. Take your jumper cables you used, ground the starter to the body somewhere and try to start it, simple way to test it. Very Happy
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Slow crank/turnover - New Subaru conversion Reply with quote

Buy Karl adapter... get the SR0408X (used is fine they are a tank)

And forget about starter problem for ever

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: