Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

The problem here gentleman is that as enticing as the whole idea of "I will ever have to buy another muffler again...because its stainless" sounds great in theory. The welds are no where near as strong a regular steel. Which is why Jake never pursued this to the point of production when He ad Tangerine produced the short lived life of the equal header set up with a collector for his camper special. Not many liked the price or the fact of how it sat under the rear of the Bus. I sure as hell would not trust a stainless crossover and J pipe's welds to last very long in stainless for the 75-78 stock set up. I would not trust anything in stainless on this set up other then perhaps the muffler itself and tail pipe in stainless. For me it seems like insanity to trust your head studs to support the weight. That's just nuts. I would however consider a stainless muffler without 2 funky pipes or even one if it helped the engine breathe a irate better and helped cool the heads. I prefer the German Leistritz muffler. But I have stock valves in Ham heads. If I were running 42-36's and needed more breathing I would definitely be trying to find a better breathing, stock looking set up. The bottom line is....stainless welds fail. Raby recognized this 10 plus years ago....and I tend to try to learn from his 1000's of hours of due diligence.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I sent the pics over to VS, will wait to see what they suggest before acting.

Wow, it doesn't look like there was any penetration whatsoever on the canister weld...just little filler droplets dropped into place. Those boys lay down some beautiful beads, but dang, they need some penetration.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

I'm sure they'll take care of that for you. Their name is still good for that, so we hope.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

The newer models have reinforcing tabs which should take car of that... mine does and is holding up beautifully after 10,000 miles. I would be surprised if they don't replace that muffler for free.

Stainless CAN last nearly forever if made correctly... every production car on the road after about 1996 has stainless exhaust systems and that practically put muffler shops out of business. My little Honda from 2001 has 200,000 miles and an original exhaust (minus a replacement flexible coupling).
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I'm sure they'll take care of that for you. Their name is still good for that, so we hope.

You were right about that. I sent in some pics, they asked for shots showing the stamped model and serial number, so I sent those in.

Next email I got said they were making me a new one and wanted to verify that I wanted the same thing.

I ordered mine over 2 years ago from them. I hate that im shocked to find someone willing to stand behind their product, while also happy that I went this route in the first place. This is about when I would have been replacing an EMPI unit due to rust had I went that route again.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

That's great news!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

Mine has the reinforcing tabs...but one of those rectangular places that goes from the exhaust flange to the muffler can fell off (one weld failed, then the plate broke off on the other side). It has no effect on performance, and there's no hole in the can...but I wonder what they'd say, warranty-wise? Wink
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Geirskogul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

I bought the headers (standard ones, not equal length) but when installing, my muffler, an Empi Quiet Pack, fouls on the fan shroud. I'd have to extend something, somewhere, around three-four inches.

Is there a non-vintagespeed muffler that doesn't foul on the fan shroud? Their prices are pretty high, and I'm just trying to replace the cracked, rotting stock heater boxes. I also run an eberspacher diesel heater, so I didn't need the heater boxes anyway.

E: here's a picture showing what they should look like, and how mine came. Definitely wrong!

the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

Geirskogul,

I also own and installed a VS UEL header and muffler on my 1978 Bus, and the headers that fit my bus were the ones pictured in your first internet photo, which were a perfect fit for me. The ones you have received appear to be the incorrect part for a late model bus. I'd exchange them for the correct size/model, as it should be no $$ for you, as it appears it is no fault of your own as long as you ordered the correct year/model.

Check out my earlier post in this thread with the problems I had when I first installed them, which were corrected by a local muffler shop, and to this day the repairs hold true. I still like this system with the small trouble it gave me, although I see others have had much more troubles with it. I like mine, but I will say buyer beware?

Cheers!
Ben
LOCAL 8251 *A dying breed*
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: