Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

clutch rod bearing ; 1 00266 A 2979 EF1416-16 SINT BRZ BRG BRONZE & SLEEVE BRGS...$2.50 ...cut your own slot

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New carb from Tim at http://www.volkzbitz.com/home.html oil change, valve adjustment, lubed the front end and then drove it to cape cod for the week. 761 miles averaging 30 mpg, not too bad.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Swapped my Brosol fuel pump for a rebuilt Pierburg in my 67 sedan. I have had hot start problems all summer and tried everything. One day it just shut down like I'd turned off the key. The pump push rod may have been restricted, opened up the Bakelite insulator but still had a no start when hot, so now the Puerburg is putting 2.5 psi into my 34 Solex feeding a 1600 dual port
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1978 Westy Campmobile, the"EM50 Urban Assault Vehicle" code named "The Pickle"
1973 Squareback (sold on a lark)
1973 Super Beetle (crashed..walked away without a scratch)
1972 Standard Beetle (lost in a relationship..)
1966 Beetle (the Black Beauty, my Dad's)
1964 Beetle (the Beige Bug, my beginning beater, also my Dad's) Thanks, Dad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

After installing a proper fuel pump it seemed a like a good idea to install a little fire insurance. So, I Mounted my HAYLON fire extinguisher in my 67 beetle where I can get at it. I had a piece of flat stock aluminum and a bit of gorilla tape...

1978 Westy Campmobile, the"EM50 Urban Assault Vehicle" code named "The Pickle"
1973 Squareback (sold on a lark)
1973 Super Beetle (crashed..walked away without a scratch)
1972 Standard Beetle (lost in a relationship..)
1966 Beetle (the Black Beauty, my Dad's)
1964 Beetle (the Beige Bug, my beginning beater, also my Dad's) Thanks, Dad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed a new EMPI shifter and shift coupler, but I had to deburr the shift gate plate and polish its wear surfaces with fine emery cloth
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I messed with the floors again. Still not done Rolling Eyes i have to finish before it snows!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

freshened up my 36 HP stoker for my 60 ragtop Very Happy

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

60ragtop, that looks nice. And running too. I sometime want to tackle one of those 36hp engines with the dual carb mods and all.
Just have to get the funds together.
Nice work.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I got my '63 about 3 weeks ago, and just found this thread.

What I have done:

Scraped years of accumulated crud off the insides of the windows.

Reset left headlight which was sagging in its mount.

Attempted to clean water-stained headliner with a variety of products. Nothing thus far has worked.

Put a club sticker in the rear window and installed a club license plate frame.

Adjusted the tire pressures up to 32 psi.

Filled windshield washer and tried to pressurize it. Didn't work. I'm going to install an electric pump and momentary switch.

Reattached hose leading up to air intake with new hose clamp.

Oil change.

Pulled the protective blue plastic strips off newly installed running boards.

Accidently discovered that WD-40 makes faded, dull paint look like new, at least until it rains. Smile

Replaced drivers side front running light bulb.

Replaced generator bulb (green in dash) because it would not go on when I turned the key to ON before starting the car. The new bulb didn't work, either. I'll have to check the connection(s).

Removed seats, greased rails, and reinstalled seats.

Used balled up aluminum foil and water to remove heavy rust from front headlight rings. Not perfect, but much better than before.

Spaced the rear bumper out on the passenger side with some washers and longer bolts. It was too close to the fender.

Used a little Crazy Glue to reattach a small spot of the headliner that was hanging by the drivers door.

Repaired the cardboard shroud in the trunk that covers the dashboard wiring. Does anyone know where to get a new one?

Lubed speedo cable from the top with silicone spray lube. No more wildly bouncing needle.

I still have a number of small projects to do. Waiting for parts and/or the weekends to do them.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

Adjusted the tire pressures up to 32 psi.

Try 17psi front and 27 rear. It will handle and ride better.
32 is Waaayyyy! too hard.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Try vinegar on the headliner water stains ....the stains are likely a combination of rust and mineral deposits from the water after it evaporated. Vinegar works both; use a glue like Automotive Goop to repair torn patches of fabric - it remains flexible, while crazy-glue is brittle and will crack and break; if you have time and patience, a cracked and torn wire cover can be 'restored' with some glue, papier mache, black shoe polish, etc. (check here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634201&highlight=wiring+cover+restoration) ....or you can buy an original quality replacement: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113863515B
dgas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

'64 Bug: Replaced left side inner/outer door window scrapes, vent window seal (Grrrrrr), window felts & door check rod. Everything works great, windows seal tight, no leaks or whistles. Door no longer swings wide when opened, knocking outside mirror out of whack. Starting to collect parts for right side door...maybe next year.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
freshened up my 36 HP stoker for my 60 ragtop Very Happy

Very nice. Is this the Okrasa dual carb kit from WW?
toddmin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger: I did replace my shift bushing and the linkage bushing. I used the PVC pipe you suggested. It worked great. Such a difference in shifting too!

67rustavenger wrote:
toddmin wrote:
JonInAtl wrote:
Fred_e81: Looks great!

Today I replaced the front shifter rod bushing in my '65.. it was missing.
Wow what a difference!

I'll probably be replacing my shift bushing in the next few weeks. How difficult was it and how long did it take youi?

Depending on your mechanical ability. The shift rod bushing change can take from an hour to four hours. I had never done one until late last year and found that it took me about four hours including removing and welding in a new shift rod bushing carrier.
Make this cool tool and the bushing change should go well for you.

Get about 4-5' of PVC from Lowes.
Good Luck
toddmin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Two weekends ago I replaced both my shift and linkage bushings in my '67. The difference in shifting is amazing. I removed the front seats (for the first time) to get better access. Before I put the seats back in, I gave the car a good vacuuming and greased the seat rails.

One weekend ago, I re-wired the dome light. It had been missing a wire, so I ran new wires and installed a new dome light and door contacts.

Last weekend, I took my car to a local guy who is giving my front-end a major overhaul. I should be getting it back tonight or tomorrow (I hope). I'm excited to see how much better it drives!
pokieAnn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

awesome work guys!
I am a newbie, bought my beetle a few months ago. finally just now got the title back from penndot.

just cleaning , and cleaning and cleaning Wink just bought passenger side floor pan, tune up kit, and some other odds and ends.

how you get the rubber carpet up without it cracking and flaking apart? do I have to soften it up first?
Very Happy
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced all 4 tie rod ends on my '59, got an alignment, and replaced the headlight to fender sealing gaskets. Also had to replace the oil pressure switch. Runs like new again!

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Laguna1116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Drove from Perris, CA to Greeley, CO to pick up our "new to us" '61 ragtop then pulled it home. Left Friday at 3:30 pm, got back on Monday at 4:30 am. It was a great trip and Tim, the PO and his family were super nice. Really excited about getting started on the restoration. New thread to follow.
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Over the past month or two:

I made up a bracket (got the idea from someone's post but can't find it to give credit) and installed a fire extinguisher. Since the pics, I painted the bracket satin black.

Installed one of Ed Fall's rebuilt Pierburg fuel pumps. Since the pic, I safety wired the outlet hose (already safety wired the carb. inlet) and replaced that worm-drive clamp with a proper one.

Replaced my 009/Compufire with one of Glenn Ring's 010's and installed a Pertronix II. Also found I had to reset the Dist. Drive Gear 180*. I have a Bosch Blue Coil now, also.

Installed a Quick Shift kit (painted satin black to match) and a WW Shift Lock (they work great together). Found the shift rod bushing lying in the bottom of the tunnel. I replaced that along with the shift coupler. 67rustavenger's PVC pole would have been better than what I made up (forget where I got that idea from, but it wasn't my own). Hope I don't have to do that job again for a long, long time. I butchered the floor mat cutout, especially on the pass. side, and replaced the mat with one from Wolfsburg and did a much better job cutting it out. This is not the new mat.

I replaced the left side door latch several months ago, but it was SO "fiddly" (Rob & Dave's) that I didn't do the right side. It got very stiff (the key wouldn't fully unlock it) last week as it got colder out, but I was able to clean and lube it through the ouside door handle hole (after removing the handle). I used WD-40, CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, and then Nano Penetrating Lubricant (that stuff is really slippery) and it works perfectly.

1967 VW Beetle - Savannah Beige Very Happy
2002 VW GTi - Reflex Silver (Sold) Sad
1966 VW Beetle - Bahama Blue (Sold) Sad
1961 Porsche 356B Roadster - Signal Red (Sold) Brick wall
1966 VW Beetle - Sea Sand (Sold) Sad
South Jersey Volkswagen Club
Central Jersey Volkswagen Society
toddmin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Rickles, you've done a lot! I should be so lucky!

Man, your carpet and floor liners look excellent. I hope to redo mine before it gets cold.

Rickles wrote:
Over the past month or two:

I made up a bracket (got the idea from someone's post but can't find it to give credit) and installed a fire extinguisher. Since the pics, I painted the bracket satin black.

Installed one of Ed Fall's rebuilt Pierburg fuel pumps. Since the pic, I safety wired the outlet hose (already safety wired the carb. inlet) and replaced that worm-drive clamp with a proper one.

Replaced my 009/Compufire with one of Glenn Ring's 010's and installed a Pertronix II. Also found I had to reset the Dist. Drive Gear 180*. I have a Bosch Blue Coil now, also.

Installed a Quick Shift kit (painted satin black to match) and a WW Shift Lock (they work great together). Found the shift rod bushing lying in the bottom of the tunnel. I replaced that along with the shift coupler. 67rustavenger's PVC pole would have been better than what I made up (forget where I got that idea from, but it wasn't my own). Hope I don't have to do that job again for a long, long time. I butchered the floor mat cutout, especially on the pass. side, and replaced the mat with one from Wolfsburg and did a much better job cutting it out. This is not the new mat.

I replaced the left side door latch several months ago, but it was SO "fiddly" (Rob & Dave's) that I didn't do the right side. It got very stiff (the key wouldn't fully unlock it) last week as it got colder out, but I was able to clean and lube it through the ouside door handle hole (after removing the handle). I used WD-40, CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, and then Nano Penetrating Lubricant (that stuff is really slippery) and it works perfectly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Page 264 of 316

Jump to: