Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

I pulled the trigger. now I need to go get it. flatbed, no doly. interior is amazing, but no pics at present. all the seats look new, panels look good, window rubbers look good, except windshield.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Today I checked out a tip on a guy w/ "a bunch of vws" in his yard:

They are New England RUSTY..... Sad

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^^^ They can't all be creampuffs I suppose. That Montana red is cool, though. Any interior left?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ They can't all be creampuffs I suppose. That Montana red is cool, though. Any interior left?

Not much of any interior on the '70, the '75 has all the seats, I'm going to try & buy the middle seat, the guy has about 20 cars & 25- 30 motorcycles.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

The 75 looks pretty good on the outside, I assume the frame is destroyed?
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

A little elbow grease makes a difference.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bamalamsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Hi! This is my first post. I was looking at this http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5864230640.html

My first restoration project. Is this biting off more than I can chew with the rustiness? Can I just replace entire panels? Could I accomplish this with a welder friend, $500, and an abundance of time on my hands?

EDIT: Posted wrong link.. lol
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

bamalamsam wrote:
Could I accomplish this with a welder friend, $500, and an abundance of time on my hands?

No.

Either start with something much better at twice the price, or start with that one for free and end up in the same place.
bamalamsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
bamalamsam wrote:
Could I accomplish this with a welder friend, $500, and an abundance of time on my hands?

No.

Either start with something much better at twice the price, or start with that one for free and end up in the same place.

What do you mean by "start with that one for free and end up in the same place"?
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

rescued another 1 from a long long slumber, dry desert bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bamalamsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
bamalamsam wrote:

No.

What do you mean by "start with that one for free and end up in the same place"?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

bamalamsam wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
bamalamsam wrote:

No.

he means if you get that bus for 2500, you will have 5000 into it before it is safe/not full of holes. you could get a better bus for 5000. sorry, but unless you have free sheetmetal/bodypanels 500 bucks wont take you anywhere.
bamalamsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Quote:
he means if you get that bus for 2500, you will have 5000 into it before it is safe/not full of holes. you could get a better bus for 5000. sorry, but unless you have free sheetmetal/bodypanels 500 bucks wont take you anywhere.

Thanks for clearing that up, lol. What's a realistic price range to get a bus for a first restoration project?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

bamalamsam wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
bamalamsam wrote:

No.

What I mean is if you started with that one for free, by the time you put the time and money and resources into it to reach the condition of one that would have cost you $6K, you would have a bus worth $6K. If you start with that one at $2.8K and put time, money, and resources into it to make it worth $6K, you will have spent $8.8K.

What this boils down to is start with something better, or cheaper. The bus you have linked isn't worth the ask for its condition. Keep looking.

Also, just nitpicking, but finding a bus on CL isn't really hunting. Sort of like buying meat at the grocery store instead of spending time in the woods. Nothing wrong with grocery shopping, but hunting stories are much more interesting.

You will probably ask yourself, "where else am I suppose to ask this question, then?". The answer is, probably start you own thread documenting your search for a bus, asking questions about what you find, and gathering advice and info in one place for your future reference.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Here's one. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1954750

This was one of the first that showed up when I looked on the classified section. It might cost you a grand to ship it, but you would have a dry bus with a blank canvas interior, and an engine that will likely run OK with some tinkering.
bamalamsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Quote:

What I mean is if you started with that one for free, by the time you put the time and money and resources into it to reach the condition of one that would have cost you $6K, you would have a bus worth $6K. If you start with that one at $2.8K and put time, money, and resources into it to make it worth $6K, you will have spent $8.8K.

What this boils down to is start with something better, or cheaper. The bus you have linked isn't worth the ask for its condition. Keep looking.

Also, just nitpicking, but finding a bus on CL isn't really hunting. Sort of like buying meat at the grocery store instead of spending time in the woods. Nothing wrong with grocery shopping, but hunting stories are much more interesting.

You will probably ask yourself, "where else am I suppose to ask this question, then?". The answer is, probably start you own thread documenting your search for a bus, asking questions about what you find, and gathering advice and info in one place for your future reference.

Oh, ok. Thanks a bunch. Will start my own thread. Laughing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

bamalamsam wrote:
Quote:

Oh, ok. Thanks a bunch. Will start my own thread. Laughing

Hope I didn't come off sounding like a dick, as that was not my intention.

Keep up your search, do your homework, look here for answers before posting questions... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165001

Also, though it is meant for split buses, this is a good reference for buying any vehicle... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71838
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Ok, well, this was actually a few months ago, but theres a guy on my mail route who knows I have a VW thing and my son has a bus, and he comes up and says: "You arent looking for another project , are you?" I replied, "Well, not really, but you know my motto, why finish one project when you can start another?"

So i went down to his nephews house, and found this:

Really sketchy paint job 'MURICA! and alot of body panel rust. But, for a new england bus, super solid underneath. Its got a porsche or 411 motor with a weber progressive on it.

Was there a huge rash of 411 and porsche wrecks in the 80s? Seems to be an awful lot of them engines in buses. MAybe people who worked on the buses overtorqued the strainer and just found one of these engines?

But, i got it for 500 bucks, so i figured might as well tinker with it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

What? That paint is sweet Cool People need to think less MURICA! and more Captain America or 76 Spirit America Cool Id roll it as a Patriot.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

And for $500?!?
Heck yeah! I would have jumped on it too. Good find!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 75 of 100

Jump to: