Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

I have been watching my tranny temps very closely this summer.

Syncro - EJ22 - Stock gearing - 215/75/15 tires - Weddle pump and cooler.

Mine is set up so the pump and cooling fan can be turned on manually. I normally turn on the pump at 120°f to utilize the filtering system. Then I turn on the cooling fan at 140°f or when approaching a grade that I know I will be dropping down into 3rd gear. You can visually watch the temp gauges climb on each gauge (water, engine oil, trans temp) when pushing the brick up long grades.

I used to also have a skid plate with a scoop. I have now removed it and now just have bar stock down each side of the transaxle for protection.

On my last road trip we drove straight from northern Montana to central Utah. Around 650 miles. It was done in 95° ambient temps at 60-75mph. I ran my gear oil cooler all the time and the highest temps recorded were 167°f and that was pulling a long steep grade in 3rd gear. Most of the time it will run in the 140° to low 150° range at highway speeds with the cooling fan on. My van weighed in at 6400lbs with all of our gear on this trip.

My stop to cool temp is 170°. I also have a full aluminum rebuilt transaxle from AA Transaxle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
I just want say here, that it is not only the temp that produce wear on gearboxes.
Even if you run all time with a cool gearbox and 200hp, the main bearing and the other bearings, also the gears, will wear out much sooner than on a stock engine.
There is nothing you can do about it.
Offcourse the 200hp will do nothing if you dont use them.

You wrote that the R&P is oversized and does not wear out, Perhaps the 6.17 heats the oil by oil shearing. Waldi I enjoy very much whenever you post about gearboxes, there is always something to learn. But that doesn't mean I won't debate some points (just a little) Cool Cool

Many people with 200HP destroy 1 or 2 transaxles, but retain their 200HP and "use it" less often, sometimes just for the smile!! Very Happy One transaxle rebuilder told me, "first thing to learn is you have to resist the urge to ROMP on 2nd gear."

It is CERTAIN your trans cannot last as long. "Wear out" is fine metal departing the gears and bearings into the gear oil; lubricant becomes "grinding paste"that creates MORE metal fines in the oil, especially with 200HP. Contamination "compounds", where the last 25% causes much more wear than the first 25%. Oil change is not necessary for OEM horsepower for 90k-150k transaxle lifetime but there is a different goal for high HP users or for antique vehicles.

I see lots of posts where the person is happy to see no big chunks, only the "normal" swarf. Imagine seeing that in your engine oil. Shocked There is NO COMFORT in "normal swarf" in an over-driven transaxle. Old parts shed metal faster than smooth running parts. Once bearings have slop the gears will wear out faster too. "Replacement parts of low quality" can contaminate your precious gear oil sooner too.

Keep in mind the magnet holds appx 3mm of swarf. One little magnet pole doesn't hold ALL of the swarf, it only informs you there is metal in your oil. The other metal it cannot hold is "out there" doing damage. The only good swarf on a magnet is a tiny amount of swarf and lots of bare magnet. A full magnet is bad deal because you don't know how long you magnet's been "full".

I agree you can't stop the accelerated wear due to HP,,,,,but disagree with: "there is nothing you can do about it". Three things you can do:

1) cool oil film is is thicker and will protect the parts better. Many people buy very expensive oil to get a thicker oil film, but cooling the oil is much more effective. Cooling specialty oil adds one more level of protection.

2) Change the oil often. Then your oil is clean at the beginning, and becomes a grinding paste near the end of it's term. But what is the term? Contamination level is set by the HP you have pushed thru this little transaxle, not by the calendar or odometer. You have to decide on a term by inspection of your oil.

3) If you have a pump system: Filter the oil whenever it's hot, such that every metal particle is removed from the gear oil immediately and does not cause further damage. There is no question that 200HP puts more metal in the oil in an on-going process. Therefore you must remove the metal ASAP on-going, with filters.

IMHO.... for double HP you MUST do some of these.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Total tranny temps IF ambient were 95F (with NO tranny coolers)

Hans 4:86 R&P: 175F 27.8" tires, diesel
Carterzest 4:86 R&P: 182F 25.3" tires, waterboxer
Jahbah 4:86 R&P: 191F 27.8" tires, subaru 2.5
Frankensubysyncro 6:17 R&P: 204F 29.5" tires, subaru 2.5 (I believe this van has the most extensive skid plating of the group, and the tallest lift)
Christopher Schimke 5:43 R&P: 207F 29.1" tires, waterboxer

Note the two vans with larger than 28" tires ran hotter than the ones with 28" or less. The larger tires are mated to shorter ring and pinions, both factors add heat.

Syncro Jael wrote:

Syncro - EJ22 - Stock gearing - 215/75/15 tires - Weddle pump and cooler.

I used to also have a skid plate with a scoop. I have now removed it

95° ambient temps at 60-75mph… highest temps recorded were 167°f

note Jael has stock 4.86 ring and pinion, stock 4th, and 27.8" tires

Reventlos wrote:
I'm still seeing temps of 220+

Reventlos has 29.5" tires and a 5.83 Ring and pinion, plus skid plates and a taller 4th gear, and more horsepower than Jael. Reventlos runs 53 degrees hotter than Jael (32% hotter)

imnsho the extra heat comes from the larger tires, taller 4th, and the skidplates. The solution is to go down to 28" tires, use a stock transaxle, and remove the skid plates.

barring all those changes, the simplest way to reduce the heat is to go 10-15 mph slower.

Taller gearing runs hotter in a Manual Tranny, not cooler like it does in the Automatic 2WD tranny. The Manual geared tall by using taller tires, will get worse gas mileage, unlike the Automatic that geared tall at the ring and pinion, still turns a small tire, and gets better gas mileage.

Lowering the RPM puts the gearing below its stock mechanical advantage. This runs hotter because more power is being applied to make up for the added load to turn the taller tires, with taller gearing.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Yes, reducing the rpms by taler tires or taler r+p or 4th gear on a gazer engine is contraproductiv.
The overall ratio (gearbox and tires) from a stock wbx is here the best.
You have some revs more, but you need to press the pedal less.

Looking at the dates i see the gearboxes of gazer engines run hotter than diesel. The reason cannot be inside the gearbox.

I see a full skid plate as the first reason for high temps.
Just think about the hot air coming from the watercooler.
Reventlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Great info, thanks to all! We are heading home tomorrow, and I will try to find a Sears on the way and get a heat gun. All the data and hunches posted makes sense, and I may need to rethink my set-up. I'm also aware of how tempting it is to flog it in 2nd & 3rd! Very Happy Matt Q
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

I hope you share a couple photos of your trip Smile

I also hope all the fear of high temperatures proves harmless.

A photo of your drain plug magnet would be very informing.

here are a couple of threads with pics of other peoples drain plug magnets:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418356

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596332&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Syncro Jael has a system with additional magnets at the filter, not sure where that link is atm
Reventlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

As the OP, I thought I would bump this thread, due to all the great recent Syncro trans discussions. It seems like a lot of owners are at least thinking about trans coolers, regardless if they are running bigger motors or not.

I have tweaked my set-up, and thought I would post some results. To recap: My Syncro tiptop with full Burley skid plate was experiencing extreme (indicated) oil temps after my SAH 1.8T transplant. I installed a kit from Weddle, but still was seeing way too high temps. On advice of the forum, I bought a cheap IR heat gun from Sears, and took some actual readings off the case. Surprise! Assuming the gun is correct, my gauge is off by a considerable margin. With ambient temps about 95 and indicated trans temps well over 200, I could find nothing on the case reading over 189. Still way too hot, but not quite as heart-stopping. The next step was to take off my skid plate and take additional readings. No surprise here, but it made at least a 10-15 degree difference with the skid plate removed.

So, what to do now? I took my skid plate (thick enough to up armor a humvee) to my friendly local metal shop, and had it made into swiss cheese. I relocated my cooling fan slightly for better air circulation, and put the system on a master switch so I can control it. Voila! On my last extended trip in heat, over grades and under load, I seem to be at least close to happy land, seeing no temps over about 165. I also purchased a bigger cooler/fan unit from Salim at Country Homes, which I will install next summer if i feel that the kinda wimpy Weddle unit is not up the task. I should add that my set-up is nothing compared to the incredibly engineered Jael unit. I suppose the next step is to go the neo magnet route on the filter.

Random observations: I'm still amazed how quickly the trans heats up when going up a freeway grade. Now that the system is working properly, I'm also amazed at how quickly the temps come down when I engage the pump/cooler. Pretty dramatic. Happy trails, Matt Q

Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Nice troubleshooting Matt!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Hey Matt, since you are hot on the trail of heat Smile

All of the heat that exits the radiator up front comes out under the van into the area where your oilcooler resides. (as Waldi wrote many times - but he refers to the radiator as "watercooler") Theres also hot air above hot pavement. And radiance too from hot pavement.

When you're under the van with the IR gun "you might" (for the annals of Vanagon Science Smile )
---- squirt some of the frame members (quickly) as they may indicate "undervan ambient temp". Then quickly squirt the sheetmetal of the car up higher, outside, someplace NOT heated by roadway or radiator heat. The goal being to see if theres a temp difference between undervan and "not undervan". The emissivity of the test surface can read different - if you can paint some specific 'targets' flat black the data may be more consistent.

I was thinking your temps 230-260F were excessive, glad it was a guage error. Where is your (guage) temp sensor located?

But 190F is still high, the pump system should get you down to the 160s. You might measure your pump flow (at the return to the trans) and verify you're getting 2 gallons per minute flow.

Happy to see others testing & reporting! I'd do all this but its already rainy up here in the PNW, you are more likely to have nice test days in CA.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
phatveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Matt, I run a 3.0 Subaru with an external transaxle cooler set up. 225/75R16 tires (29.3"). Weddle pump/filter. Initially I had the Setrab cooler with fan, which did ok. I have recently upgraded to a larger Derale unit with twin fans. I have the cooler mounted on the front cross member. Used to have a skid plate up front too, but found that it basically channeled the hot air from the radiator directly into the trans cooler. I have since removed the skid plate and that has helped to drop the temps quite a bit. I live in Sacramento and it's HOT here in the summer. On the hottest days (over 100F out), and going up the hill to Tahoe (75 mph or so), trans temp barely hit 150F. Regular highway driving (65-70) on a hot day (90F+) is in the 130's at the trans. I tend to run the pump and fan all the time when the system is up to operating temp. This ensures good trans oil flow to all the critical places under all circumstances. The biggest gain I have experienced is by using a larger plate style cooler with hi flow fans located in a place that gets good air flow through the cooler. Also, use large gauge wire for the pump and fan(s) with relays. It makes a difference. I noticed that your cooler is mounted horizontally to the bottom of the van. Not the best place to get good heat transfer out of the cooler. Try to find a vertical location if possible to channel air through it while you're driving and with the fan. Last weekend with cooler temps outside (65-70F), drove up to Descend on Bend and back home. 900 miles of 65-75+ mph driving and the max trans temp was 122F. Usually it was 110-115F. Here's a pic of the set up:

I've had the cooler installed for a few years but have really got it dialed in over the past year. Just hope it extends the life of the trans!

Dave
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

I am beginning to think that cooling of transaxle oil may not really be the issue. From what I have read in auto\racing\industrial sources, mid to high 200º's is normal and in fact, if you cool your oil too much, it is not protecting as intended. 20-40º differentials are not to blame for component failure. Now providing lubrication where it is needed (ports, nozzles, pressure lubing) certainly can't hurt.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Overheated oil never has been the issue. A grossly overheated 4th gear is the real problem.

So, the best way to cool 4th gear (and adjacent overheated MS ball bearing) is with cooled oil
.. and as long as we're delivering cooled and cleaned oil, two other potential problem areas are addressed: Pinion bearing and mainshaft needle bearing.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Also, one must conclude that.... under "similar conditions", the trans temps should be "similar". Temps higher than others suggests higher friction which suggests a "problem".

Agreed that supplying oil is the first concern. But since we're putting double the HP thru the trans, adding a radiator to cool the hot spots is a no-brainer.

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

And of course the only time you really use 150hp (for longer than a few seconds) is when in 4th gear. Holding an overloaded Vanagon at speed up an incline being a prime example of when 4th gear is really being overheated.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Sodo and others,
"WE" are over 90% vanagon drivers that dont have "double" 225hp? and WE are happy with a stock gearbox whitch needs to be overhault 2-3 tinmes in a life with good parts and some small modifications.
WE dont have oil temp problems or 4-th gear problems.

The main construction problems on "our" gearboxes are well known and cannot dissapear with oil filtering and cooling.

1. Synchronizer 3-4 (4-5) = solved
2. Synchronizer G-R (1-R) = cain be solved by using a new one every 200k km better earlier on 5-G 2-wd boxes.
3. shifting shaft bearings = use new ones if possible every time your box is open.
4. moving main ball bearing = use a retainer
5. use SA oil plates. THAT is a no brainer.

Its going on my balls, if 5% of van users with a "big engine complex" are thinking/speaking about a overall problem.

I opened today 2 Syncro boxes with about 200k km.
Both had the new style 3-4 syncronizer, and both had not one overused/broken part. Even the main bearings had no clearance.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Paul,
i cant belive, the 4-th gear is producing significant heat.
There is no data that prove this.
I think that even driving with 150hp uphill in 4th will show the hottest spot on the main bearing(r+p bearing).
This heat does not come from the teeth of the r+p, but from the bearing itselfe.
Same on the 4th gear. Heavy load forces the both shafts going apart,that means the load is going to the ball bearing and the roler bearing.

I will have no problem to say "i am wrong", if somebody show some true data from overheating 4-th gear wheels on a normal working gearbox.

Edit:
Another question is, who has 150hp 4th gear ? A over the top chiped AFN ?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Sure. Any time fusing is occurring, the gear is overheating. In more extreme cases, the needles fuse to the gear bore. In the most extreme cases, the mainshaft bearing surface is ruined.

This is NOT a VW-only problem. Other vehicles also suffer from overheated top gears during extended highway use.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Paul, i know you know this.
On load the shift wheel doesnt turn.
If there is worn out on the needle bearing, there is another problem.
For example, the needle cage get bloked by a sharp grade of the save ring (synchronizer)
I did never seen a heat problem on a TDI fired gearbox, but i have seen broken teeth which has nothing to do with heat.

I have seen also broken teeth on many other gearboxes.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

Yes, of course it doesn't turn in relation to the shaft. It sits there building up heat. Heat in the idler (MS) gear has only 2 paths to directly pass the heat along .. mainshaft bearing race (primary) and stationary needles (secondary). At these heat transfer points, fusing occurs during gross overheating of the gear.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro trans temps. How hot is too hot? Reply with quote

The rurning gears cannot produce enoph heat to damage the metal.
If that would be the case, there would be first blue teeth on the wheel.
This can only happen with a non moving needle bearing, while in other gears.

The most load is usually on the 3rd gear. There you can use realy the full power for long time.

With the comon gazer engines in USA there is no way to have full power in 4th gear. 1,8t has 150hp on 6000revs.

I have seen in over 100 gearboxes only 2 melted needle cages on 4th. And this was in boxes with low oil and stock engines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: