Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

First off why were you compelled to adjust hydraulic valves on a tune up? (Moot point now.) The VW factory used to put a sticker on the fan housing of the hyd lifter bus engines. it was a cutaway illustration of the rocker arm and adjuster with a big red X across it. indicating "Hydraulic valves do not adjust. it was not required on a standard service with these engines. Second, I would suggest rechecking the compression on #4 after a hundred miles or so. it may come back up to 115 psi after being driven a little.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
First off why were you compelled to adjust hydraulic valves on a tune up? (Moot point now.)

Checking and tracking the adjustment on any valves allows you to detect a valve stretching and detecting a stretching valve could save the engine if you can catch it before it snaps.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
sodbuster wrote:
First off why were you compelled to adjust hydraulic valves on a tune up? (Moot point now.)

Checking and tracking the adjustment on any valves allows you to detect a valve stretching and detecting a stretching valve could save the engine if you can catch it before it snaps.

ˇYes yes yes yes yes.!

So many people blame higher speeds and leaner running on the rash of valve issues on 2.0 bus heads in the teenage years of these cars. Of course only the '78 and '79 models had hydraulic lifters from the factory, but the world economy was in such a hurry to cheapen out labor charges, that VW issued a sticker that clearly undermined the thorough inspection process that their factories in Germany were famous for. Their reputation was built on reliability, and checking your valves for recession every 3,000 miles will prolong that reliability.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
GoBigEmma wrote:
We've made it to Seattle and Andrew/RONIN10 kindly offered us a place to stay for two days and a garage to work in.

I love hosting travelers! They're the ones that have the courage to pursue their dreams, figuring it out along the way. The rest of us don't quite feel comfortable going against the norm like that so we live vicariously through them.

Emma and Sven are absolutely fantastic people. If you have the chance to help them out along their journey, please do, your life will be richer for it.

Quote:
Andrew suggested the pushrod for the #4 intake might have slipped out of the notch it's supposed to sit in.

I'll be available then and would love to sit around BSing.... Rolling Eyes

Been there, done that, that's how I thought to check for that. As usual, the burnt hand is the best teacher. Further evidence for the argument to be your own mechanic...you slowly develop the insight to identify issues that would charge you an arm and a leg, but are really quite simple to resolve.

Quote:
Still a little lower than when I tested it last (was at 115 PSI), but yeah.

I'd suggest doing a quickie compression check before leaving Bend and see what that number is. You'll have put some new miles on it since resetting the pushrod and if things are consistent, the number should repeat (or nearly so) or if you get something closer to 115, you can probably conclude that maybe you got a turn or two of the engine fewer this time around.

Quote:
After that, we're going to backtrack a bit and hit up Seattle again.
Seattle crowd, maybe you guys would be up for a meet-up in like two weeks?

I'll put a note in the Seattle thread too and hopefully get the ball rolling.

87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Hey guys,

we made it back from Descend on Bend and are now planning our next days and weeks.

We think we're going to be in Portland on the weekend. We've heard from Xevin that the Portland crowd usually gathers on Mondays, so we're planning to partake in the meeting next Monday (the 24th). We've met TheBusAndUs at Descend and they said they would like to join as well.

After that, we'll head towards Seattle again, this time to explore, spend some more time and meet some more people. We'd love to join a bus gathering up there as well, I hope that will work out!

The car is running good right now. Still a little tired while warming up in the morning, but who can blame her, I am too. We'll look into that in the coming days. For right now, we're going to take a nice hot bath and eat pizza. Yum!

P.S.: I'll post a few Descend on Bend pics here soon!

Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Glad your trip is still relatively smooth sailing.

Do you know where you'll be around Thanksgivingtime? I'll be in Northern California headed south in mid-November, any chance our paths might cross?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Do you know where you'll be around Thanksgivingtime? I'll be in Northern California headed south in mid-November, any chance our paths might cross?

We'll definitely be around the Western US, probably Oregon or California by then. So.. sadly not really close to you. We would love to meet up though! Do you have plans heading back out west any time soon?

Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Quote:
but the world economy was in such a hurry to cheapen out labor charges, that VW issued a sticker that clearly undermined the thorough inspection process

I'm sorry but for this I call BS! I had a 79 bus that the previous original owner had nothing but troubles with the valves on the bus before I got it. Despite his annul devotion to the maintenance of the engine. his troubles stemmed from using the westie to pull a trailer loaded down with dirtbikes and gear. The camper was stuffed to the gills with the family camping gear along with his wife and kids, bombing across the desert at full tilt boogie with the factory A/C on. Yet he could not understand why he kept dropping valves.

I removed the A/C system when I got it because I did not want it and it did not work anyway. I did the top end of the motor once after I got it. I had Mark Stephens machining do the head work as they were the best shop doing machine work on type IV's at that time. I put it all together and ran it for five more years with little to no troubles before I sold it. I checked the valves twice in that time. once after the initial break in and the next after one of the lifters bled down and would not pump up. (bad lifter.)
I figure if anybody should know it's the good folks that made the thing. since they took the trouble to affix that sticker with the Red X to let us all know whats up. Who am I to second guess them.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
wWe've heard from Xevin that the Portland crowd usually gathers on Mondays, so we're planning to partake in the meeting next Monday (the 24th).

I'll be there, most likely still without my Bus which is still sitting with a dead transaxle. Crying or Very sad

This may be *your* first time at Portland's Monday gathering, but BigEmma has been here before with the previous owners .. sometime before 2012 because I still had my Scirocco but more precisely than that I can't remember for sure.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Emma and Sven will be able to relate all kinds of interesting stories about the former Owners, and all the fate and karma leading us to know this had to be our bus. As bus stories go, it's a great one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

^^^ We need to get pops out to the Lab. I want a beer with that dude Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
GoBigEmma wrote:
wWe've heard from Xevin that the Portland crowd usually gathers on Mondays, so we're planning to partake in the meeting next Monday (the 24th).

I'll be there, most likely still without my Bus which is still sitting with a dead transaxle. Crying or Very sad

This may be *your* first time at Portland's Monday gathering, but BigEmma has been here before with the previous owners .. sometime before 2012 because I still had my Scirocco but more precisely than that I can't remember for sure.

Oh wow really? That's awesome, I didn't know that!
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Okay, here are a few pics from the past week.

Descend on Bend has been a week ago by now, but we are still flashed by the amount of awesome people and busses we have met. We've spent the days after Descend hanging out with a few of the other full-time vanlifers. Irie To Aurora, a couple from New Orleans, cooked an amazing gumbo for all of us on Tuesday evening. First gumbo of my life, incredibly good.
Anyway, here are a few pics. You might have seen a few of those floating around social media already, others are fresh off the SD card.

We're hanging out in Portland at the moment and are excited to meet the local VDub folks tomorrow at the meetup!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Arrival at Descend on Friday. Already more than hundred cars lining the edge of the crater.

Our cooking camp on Monday, next to TheBusAndUs' Rita and a fallen tree.

Long exposure night shot of the crater at Descend

Post-Descend camp and gumbo cookout. So yum!

Sunrise at Smith Rock with the gang. Cold as f*ck, but so worth it!

See a few of you tomorrow and later the week in Seattle! Smile
Sven
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
Oh wow really? That's awesome, I didn't know that!

Yeah, it was early 2010 -- Andres, Ane and their son Luka passed through Portland on a roundabout way to Mexico and wound up staying in the area for a while after Luka got sick. They eventually met up with the Bodeswell folks in .. I want to say Guadalajara but am probably wrong. Last I heard they were in Hitzacker, and while my wife and I were hoping to visit when we went to Germany in 2013 we were unable to connect...

See you at the Lucky Lab on Hawthorne tomorrow evening.
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

We'll definitely be around the Western US, probably Oregon or California by then. So.. sadly not really close to you. We would love to meet up though! Do you have plans heading back out west any time soon?

So.... I was just re-reading this conversation... and was astounded at my nonsense response. The next time I just babble and nothing useful comes out, could somebody here please let me know when you read it? Wink
Anyways, Robbie, we hope to see you in Northern Cali, that would rock!

On other stuff: The last few days (no, weeks) have been great, more pics and news coming soon!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

You guys rock! Be safe on your journey!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You guys rock! Be safe on your journey!

Haha, awesome shot! Thanks for the hospitality Jason, we had a great time yesterday! Smile Oh and of course for the ride in your bus and the fact that I will now feel even slower in Big Emma Wink
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Hey Sambaverse!

We're hailing from Pacific City, OR today. In the past weeks, we have had the pleasure to meet a whole bunch of the PNW VDub folks, which was great. Andrew (RONIN10) and his wife Kim were wonderful hosts and let us crash in their driveway in Seattle. He also helped us a bunch with the bus and we just had a good time with them (and not to forget their cat and dog, who I'm sure greatly enjoyed Emma's cuddling sessions).

The Seattle meetup crew

We got to meet Cynthia (I forget her Samba name), who just got herself a '68 bus and is having trouble getting it running thanks to an idiot mechanic in Seattle (I'm sure most of you know her story from her thread).
We met Mr Stuart Zickefoose, who turned out to be one of the craziest, nicest, and most adventurous people I've ever met. Oh and he didn't break anything on the bus. I think. So far.. Wink

Stuart and Cynthia totally posing

But after a few weeks in and out of Seattle, it's time to move south. Time to make some plans for the winter. We're looking to do some modifications on the bus. A new roof rack, maybe an awning, maybe a Pertronix, nothing's decided yet. More about that in later posts.

The PNW is a beautiful, but wet place...

In the meantime, I've written a blog post about the VW community and the Samba, which we published on our website. If you are interested, feel free to check it out: http://www.gobigemma.com/2016/11/10/a-story-of-des...-a-vw-bus/

That's it for now (please note: no pressing mechanical problems as of now. Whohoo! Of course now that I said that.....what's that noise??).

Cheers!
Sven
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

Go Big Emma Go!!!

I'm for the Pertronix. Some hate them some hate the but I noticed a positive difference with my engine after I installed it. I would recommend buying 2 of them just in case.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: GoBigEmma Pan-American Roadtrip log Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:

Stu: That's a tire.

Cynthia: Duh!

Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 27

Jump to: