Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stinger or Gt-4 tip?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

So the car has a rusty old GT 4-Tip Sports Muffler.

The muffler itself needs to be replaced, but the pipes are "ok"

I like the look of the stinger.. It's just what I imagine should be on the back of this car.

Will the headers on the stinger give me that extra 2-4 hp that Dave's air cooled pages talk about?

Does the GT 4-Tip Sports Muffler provide any performance gain over the pea shooter?

Does anyone have a stinger with a muffler insert? How loud?
I don't want super loud, but a little rumble is good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

A full merged header will give you more power than a stock muffler replacement. Stingers are loud as hell, your neighbors will not be happy.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
A full merged header will give you more power than a stock muffler replacement. Stingers are loud as hell, your neighbors will not be happy.

Educate me on what "a fully merged header" is.

I've never done anything but stock in my life.
The car currently has a rusted out GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Full "Racing" Merged:

All 4 tubes are the same length, 1&4 and 2&3 are run into each other to cause scavenging effect. Do not clear stock under cylinder tins without work.

Bolt-on style:

These style have longer front tubes to form more of a merged style exhaust, but they rely on stock heater boxes or J-tube replacements for the rears. Clears all stock tin. Opposite cylinders also run together in this style. Better than a stock setup, not as great as a full "racing" style merged setup.

You have this style:

Just two pipes that run into the muffler off the rear cylinders, bolts to j-tubes or heater boxes.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Thank you.
I get it.
So I can get one that installs after the heater boxes and then install whatever I want on the end.
Any performance gain will be from the headers only with only the amount of noise being determined by what I bolt on the end.

Is that right?
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

I see this on jcwitney. A header. Not as symetrical, but looks like it would be quiet and as they say on the site "A low cost solution"

But will this give me performance? Frankly it doesn't really matter that much for now.
I think if I had more power I would just drive it faster and break it quicker. the car that is. Twisted Evil

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-3300

This one looks good is less money and is galvanized.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-251-420
Dang, this is a lot to think about.

I need to go to a car show and pick some brains. There's one in PA this weekend, but I have my kids and I suspect they will be bored. Also there is one in Congers on the 29th but that one is a cruise.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

I need some feedback so I can make a purchase this morning.

Keep in mind I have the Baja above, but it is not an off road machine nor do I intend to go that route.

the picture I have in my head of the car when finished is one from my youth in the early 80s. Fat I don't know where I saw it, probably a Grape Ape cartoon or an episode of Chips.
I'm kind of leaning toward wide rear fenders with a cosmetic only apron.

chroming or painting the engine on the next rebuild.

Will both of these give the same performance increase? Or is one going to give more. They both install after the heater boxes.

This is the Econo header. "ECONOMY EXTRACTOR / EXHAUST SYSTEM"

This one is "LARGE 2 TIP HEADER EXHAUST – GALVANIZED WITH CHROME TIPS" Looks like a better solution, but when I compare it to the headers you posted I see it doesn't have the longer upper pipes like the econo extractor. So, maybe it just looks nicer.

chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

OK. So I need some advice on what order to do things.

This is what the car needs.

Mufffler and heater boxes or header, and carb rebuild, tune-up with timing, valve adjustment. Fuel pump gasket. Electronic ignition(please don't talk me out of replacing this)

My main question is
Should I replace the exhaust before I rebuild the carb?
Or does it not matter?

Actually, I suppose I should replace the exhaust adjust the valves and timing then see if carb needs rebuilt.

Is my thinking correct?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Do you really need heat?
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Don't really need the heaters.

Do you think it will affect the resale?

It's a super so I don't think anyone is gonna buy this for offroading.

Does it matter the order I replace this?
As far as tuning the carb?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Aftermarket exhaust systems with the cutouts are marginal to provide enough heat to the single carb manifold as it is. If you want to get max power, go full merged and get a set of dual carbs.

You have a Super beetle Baja, removing heater boxes are not going to make a difference in value compared to what has already been done to it Laughing
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Thanks...

One heater box is good. The other is bad.
Aside from looks is there any reason that I couldn't leave on box on and use one J-tube>?
Joey23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

What is the benefit to removing the heater boxes?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Joey23 wrote:
What is the benefit to removing the heater boxes?

They flow fine for a stock engine, but if you want more power, they need to go.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Replaced quad tip with tri-mill header & open pipe. Less power! Reply with quote

UPDATE!
So, my buddy convinced me to replace my gt quad tip with a tri-mil header with a 3" open pipe end. Kind of like a sideways stinger.

Immediately I felt less power.

I installed a motorcycle glass baffle and feel an increase, but it just doesn't pull the same way it did with the stinger.

It might be that it's just quieter, but it seems like a little less power.

The tri-mil has slip joints where the pipes go into the merging part and these are wonky and crimped.
I'll try some permatex copper high temp sealant in these joints.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Inside the 4 tip I modified this one. It got louder. But it's still coming off in the spring.

https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

So thats what the inside looks like?

Cool.

If you go stinger straightpipe you will notice power increase with a baffle insert.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

Where in Jersey are you?
And that pic is the before pic. Lousy design.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

I'm in Ridgewood, Bergen County.
Where are you?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger or Gt-4 tip? Reply with quote

I'm from Woodbridge and wife is from Elizabeth. All our family is up there. We're in Aberdeen Maryland now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: