Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possible Bay Search
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Possible Bay Search Reply with quote

Maybe looking for another bay sometime soon, truth be told I'm window shopping now Very Happy

I'd like a '69 as it was my birth year, yeah I know '71 is the way to go but......

I was looking at one a while back with metal sunroof but it wasn't functioning and over the years water got the best of it.. Are the sunroofs to be avoided?? seems everyone I've seen leak, don't work or have been sealed shut..

Ultimately I'd like to lower the bus, not to the ground but I want it pretty close Laughing tastefully and still operable and comfortable to drive.....

Realistically how much would it cost to lower it a few inches? maybe an adjustable beam and spindles?? are the drums still usable after this??

my '70's brakes (drums) worked very well but it wasn't lowered either... seems every lowered bus I've seen has disks..

is it worth looking for a 69 rather than a 71 because of the disk issue?? or is there something else the 71 has to offer that I haven't considered...

here is my old 70....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Bay Search Reply with quote

Nice looking bus.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Bay Search Reply with quote

In order of preference, I would give none to VW discs or VW drums. I've crossed the continent with drums, as has almost every country-traversing bus owner in this forum.

Point is, it's bus and especially your money. You can spend it or blow it; we won't judge you for doing either, but lurk around here and you'll find the four or five members who do the most driving run four-wheel-drums as delivered from VW.

If you group aftermarket setups into the list, I would add them well towards the bottom of my three item list. I also can not speak to drum brake performance with a lowered suspension. Skills has a '78 brake setup on his slightly lowered '70 bus that felt very good when I drove it this summer. I didn't have to haul down to zero from seventy like I do with mine, but I'm 100% certain the setup would be great if needed.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Bay Search Reply with quote

What they say. Call me kooky. But the bus you'll love will find you. You will know it as soon as you test drive it. You can't make it happen. Get whatever bus year puts a smile on your face. Like buying a house. You know it as soon as you walk in. Happy hunting.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Bay Search Reply with quote

Lacking the place to do it myself I had the drum brakes on my '70 Westy gone through by a VW professional. Doing it right makes all the difference, I'm very happy and I often carry heavy loads and a small trailer. Before that I had a 1971 with discs for many years and do not see a great difference .
Just a random thought, if you wanted to get really particular you could also try to find one that came out in the same month, for instance my '70 left the factory 9/69. Happy Hunting!
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Bay Search Reply with quote

December 69 it is... that would be cool... I found my '70 in back of a guys field left there for 7yrs, completely rust free had some body and a lot of mechanical issues but for $400 it was a steal.... not going to happen in today's world....

any comments on the sunroof action??
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Possible Bay Search Reply with quote

Embarassed sun roofs leak when the drain tubes plug up the the water has no where to go- A low pressure blast from shop air can get them cleared if the hoses don't blow off.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Possible Bay Search Reply with quote

My '70 (3/70) is mildly lowered, drums, stops fine. The price to do it was $700 for the adjustable beam from WagonsWest up front and $10 for new donuts in back, torsion's rotated one notch.
Yes it is for sale. Don't have pics on me here at work at the moment.
Sorry, couldn't tell you about the sunroof stuff, mine's a small pop top Riviera day camper.

-dasdachshund
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Possible Bay Search Reply with quote

could add a westy pop-top to a sunroof model as a cooler and likely less frustrating alternative to tryin to fix a leaky sunroof.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: