Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Well the vendor agreed to send me some Koni adjustable shocks in exchange for the Blisteins, will report back after I have put a few hundred miles on the Koni replacements.

I hope that's in the next day or two (just kidding!). I'm getting ready to chose between the Konis and Ranchos that have been mentioned here. I'll be using them with the Schwenk 2WD springs from Van Cafe.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20

Would love to hear any other insights. Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

I installed some Gabriel 69861 front struts and 69858 rear shocks for around $70.00 total on my 1.8t GL tintop and have been very happy with the street ride. Have not done any washboard or dirt roads, but pavement has been very controlled and the ride is excellent. Van no longer dives on braking. Speed bumps are comfortable to go over and road seams are not a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnbyrdgates
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

X2 on a previous poster's experience with Monroe hd. I installed new Gowesty zero lift springs front and rear and the large anti-sway bar from T3 along with all new bushings and ball joints. The only thing I left alone were the Monroe shocks and they are pretty old judging by their rusty patina...
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

I have heard praise of the monroe shock before. I wonder what the life of a these or the like compared to say a Bilstein?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

Just for grins has anyone investigated what the dealer has to offer? I really have to say that the OEM shocks would be hard to beat.
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

I just put in the KYB shocks with the Schwenk 2WD springs from Van Cafe in my '85. I heard that KYB had improved and thought I would give them a try.

I like the ride a whole lot. A little stiff, but not as stiff as my stock Syncro and a very noticeable difference in winds and behind big rigs. Very stable feeling. Braking and handling (body movement) are definitely improved.

Re: Schwenk 2WD springs from Van Cafe...back in the day there were different springs for Westys and tintops (weight difference) from what I understand. A color code, I believe. Since our spring choices and manufacturers are limited, I think everyone shoots for the weight of a Westy when manufacturing springs. The back end of my tintop is maybe an inch higher than the front, with the new springs,which is fine with me. Hardly noticeable, and loaded down it looks level.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

I thought OEM was Boge

Bilstein is considered a top level brand; Monroe a low level; Boge is usually intermediate
(neglecting the special purpose race shocks like Ohlins, etc.)

design of a shock is non-trivial and involves quite a few engineers with testing labs and dynamical modelling capability

if the valving is not to your taste on a top level brand and you move to a lower level brand which has valving you like better... what if it doesn't last, foams, etc.??
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

I have had the yellow Monroe shocks on my van for 5 years/30k miles. Thought I was going to replace them with a top level brand during my suspension rebuild last winter. They looked so good at teardown and I've never really had a problem with the ride, so I bolted them back in. I am not a high speed washboard road runner.
If they go bad or foam or look rusty, I could easily bolt 4 new ones in for the price of one top level brand name shock.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

Well I have replaced the Blisteins with the Konis and they are certainly an improvement. I do think that having a shock that had a bit more resistance on compression would be a plus for this rig. Maybe I will try a shock like the Monroes next time around.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: What to go one up on Bilstein HD Front Shock Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Well I have replaced the Blisteins with the Konis and they are certainly an improvement. I do think that having a shock that had a bit more resistance on compression would be a plus for this rig. Maybe I will try a shock like the Monroes next time around.

I found a Bilstein 5100 that might fit the 2wd, I'm going to measure today. They are custom valved and so you can do what ever you want. Should hold up to a lot more off road abuse too over the HD's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: