Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Key cut to code
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
stephenstep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Key cut to code Reply with quote

Does anybody know if I have a new blank key could any local locksmith be able to cut me a key just from the code or do they have to have special equipment to do a vintage key. I lost the only one I have and am stuck with no key. I tried a couple people that advertise on the Samba but have not gotten any response. Any info would be appreciated. It's a 69 Bug.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

http://www.woodsboroautosales.com/vintagekeys.html

I've used Mark a couple of times and been happy with the results.

Byas
stephenstep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

I haven't tried him, maybe I will give him a email. Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

Gabe is a Samba supporter.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=gabvwkey

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stephenstep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

I tried him but received no response.
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

I think most real locksmiths, not a a Home Depot or local hardware store, should be able to cut a key from code
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

A few years ago I had a key cut at a local VW parts department. Cool Actually it was quite a few years ago. I think it might have been 1992. Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

stephenstep wrote:
Does anybody know if I have a new blank key could any local locksmith be able to cut me a key just from the code or do they have to have special equipment to do a vintage key.

If you have one of these
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you could call a local locksmith and ask him !!!

Maybe even call a VW dealer !

Disclaimer for legal purposes: you really do NOT need a vintage phone to inquire about vintage VW keys.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Wymapper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

I took my door handles and ignition to the local lock shop in Cheyenne. I didn't have any key that worked on my 1971 Super Beetle Convertible. The lock smith took the key code off the door handles, then went to a lock key code vendor on the Internet for the cut codes. The shop had VW key blanks. In 10 minutes he had a key that worked in all three locks for $20.00. I was lucky the locks were original. I understand he had to pay $12 for the key code service. I was planning to buy a new ignition cylinder and two new door handles for over $100.
You can see part of the key code on the bottom door handle in the photo.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
A few years ago I had a key cut at a local VW parts department. Cool Actually it was quite a few years ago. I think it might have been 1992.

Me too, sometime in the early 90s as well. I ordered I think 4 of them... and when I went to pick them up found they were not cut. I said: "I gave you a key code for a reason..." the dude was like: "Oh, you wanted them cut?? Okay." and he went into the back and I heard some kind of ker-chunk noises, not a cutting wheel, for a while, then he brought them out. I don't know exactly what VW used to cut those stock steel keys but I do know (from a locksmith shop) that trying to cut that kind of key on run-of-the-mill key cutters designed for "soft" aftermarket keys can mess the cutter up.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Me too, sometime in the early 90s as well. I ordered I think 4 of them... and when I went to pick them up found they were not cut. I said: "I gave you a key code for a reason..." the dude was like: "Oh, you wanted them cut?? Okay." and he went into the back and I heard some kind of ker-chunk noises, not a cutting wheel, for a while, then he brought them out. I don't know exactly what VW used to cut those stock steel keys but I do know (from a locksmith shop) that trying to cut that kind of key on run-of-the-mill key cutters designed for "soft" aftermarket keys can mess the cutter up.
I watched them cut mine. Seems like they had a kit in a box about the size of a smaller tackle box. They used some kind of large pliers type thing if I remember right. Looked up the code in a book and clipped the key to whatever the book said. Worked great and cost me $3.50 plus tax. I think a locksmith would've been about $40 at the time, maybe more. I was happy. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
1965mt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

[email protected]

this guy answered my emails and did a good job with the keys.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
SBD wrote:
A few years ago I had a key cut at a local VW parts department. Cool Actually it was quite a few years ago. I think it might have been 1992.

Maybe this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=curtis+key+cutter

Small article I found:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Curtis-15-Code-Cutter-a-legend-in-Locksmithing-/10000000011225737/g.html
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Key cut to code Reply with quote

Looks more complicated than the Enigma decoder....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: