Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to gravity bleed brakes again
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Trying to gravity bleed brakes again Reply with quote

About a year ago I tried to gravity bleed brakes and I THOUGHT air had quit coming. I tried brakes and still had air so bled with home made pressure bleeder. Gravity bleeding is so much cleaner and wastes less to no fluid I decided to try it again on another car I just did brake job on and system is dry because I replaced most everything and flushed steel lines and blew them out. I filled reservoir and found leak at left rear wheel at brake line fitting, fixed that. I decided to do right wheel first since it is farther from master cylinder. I have let about a pint of fluid out filling master cylinder before it could get low enough to get air in line. I am still getting air. Am I rushing it too much or should I just keep on. I know that line is long but I would have thought a pint of fluid would flush all air out. Where could the air be coming from? I have checked all fittings and no leak so if no leak there should be no place for air to get in system. Suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to gravity bleed brakes again Reply with quote

Do a search on this forum: Bleeding brakes. That sort of thing.

I suspect no one has replied to your thread because there are numerous threads which have already covered the subject.

Search and you will find all you need.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to gravity bleed brakes again Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

I suspect no one has replied to your thread because there are numerous threads which have already covered the subject.

Tim

Tim,
I have probably read every one of them. I haven't read how much fluid it should take to clear a line of air. Also haven't read that if a line doesn't clear of air where that air might be coming from.
Leo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to gravity bleed brakes again Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Tim,
I have probably read every one of them. I haven't read how much fluid it should take to clear a line of air. Also haven't read that if a line doesn't clear of air where that air might be coming from.
Leo

Sometime air leaks in at the brake bleeder screw. Put a smear of grease around the base of the brake bleeder screw to clog that possible air leak.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to gravity bleed brakes again Reply with quote

I am going to try gravity bleeding on my 1970 next week (I have to wait for the correct flexible rear lines to arrive, and to install those first). I bought 6 feet of 1/4 inch i.d. PVC tubing for this, will tape the hose from bleeder higher than the reservoir, and do one at a time. I replaced the master and all 4 wheel cylinders and front flex lines already. I did bench bleed the master.

I saw this online:
Gravity bleeding of brakes

· Find the brake fluid reservoir
Locate the brake fluid reservoir, and loosen its cover. Loosen the bleeder caps with the vise grip pliers. If the bleeders drip fluid, tighten their caps just enough to stop the leaking.
· Attach the plastic tubing
Slide one end of the plastic tubing over a bleeder nipple, and raise the other end higher than the brake fluid reservoir. Secure the tube with masking tape.
· Open the nipple
Open the nipple with an open-end wrench, and allow fluid to flow into the tubing.
· Release the air bubbles
When the fluid in the tube stops rising, tap the tube with the handle of a hammer. Watch for escaping air bubbles. Tap on the tube until bubbles no longer emerge from the bleeder.
· Close the bleeder
Set a jar below the nipple. Close the bleeder with the wrench, and pull the tube off of it. Catch the brake fluid in the jar.
· Replenish the brake fluid reservoir
Check the level of brake fluid in the reservoir, and top it off with fresh fluid.
· Bleed the remaining brakes
Bleed the remaining brakes in the same manner. Add more brake fluid to the reservoir after you bleed each brake.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to gravity bleed brakes again Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
ldj1002 wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Tim,
Leo

Sometime air leaks in at the brake bleeder screw. Put a smear of grease around the base of the brake bleeder screw to clog that possible air leak.

ptjjb, That was it Very Happy . I put the grease on it and didn't get a single buble of air. I guess The line was already bled and all the bubbles was from the bleed screw.

If that little tip was in the search somewhere I missed it and I read them till my eyes crossed
Thanks
Leo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: