Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I bought the only on Bus Depot listed. It was the "Premium Quality" on. It is to soft and easily distorted. Ordered two "OE Quality" ones from CIP1 today.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Until we publicly call these purveyors of Chinese Garbage out they will still sell these parts to the masses. It's a real shame that the market has gone in this direction. I am hopeful that things may go in the other direction now that the "cheap" VW owners are being weeded out. But I am not going to hold my breath.
sixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source for these at the moment? Cip1, WW, bughaus, German Supply, all list the acceptable units as out of stock. My original looks to be in pretty rough shape and I have a road trip coming up in a few weeks... any leads appreciated. Thanks!
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

ECS Tuning shows genuine VW for 44.00. If they say it's genuine then it is.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I have read of people managing to drive with the coupler in pieces - the bolts and inserts manage to interfere with each enough to provide steering without the rubber ....

You still have two crude forks interlocking with each other,.

I am glad I was able to buy a VW marked coupler five years ago and fit it and it is still good.

The couplers punched out of sheets of fabric reinforced rubber remind me a bit of somebody getting creative with a square of rubber cut out of a large tire, or an inflatable ship's fender or conveyer belt ..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I just ordered what appears to be a "real" one from Custom & Commercial.
https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/b...68-79_673/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

static wrote:
I just ordered what appears to be a "real" one from Custom & Commercial.
https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/b...68-79_673/

Looking forward to the report on this -- mine is still OK-ish but needs replacement at some point.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Until we publicly call these purveyors of Chinese Garbage out they will still sell these parts to the masses. It's a real shame that the market has gone in this direction. I am hopeful that things may go in the other direction now that the "cheap" VW owners are being weeded out. But I am not going to hold my breath.

I had the same problems described here with the Euromax coupler sold at BD, massive twisting under load and horn blowing or completely tearing wire off. Called them and explained the problem, after trying two of theirs (and solution...fiber bonded is much stiffer) yet it seams they are still selling the junk part until they run out Mad . Thanks to WW for getting me the correct one !
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I just ordered one from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221534063811

Looks like it might be the right material. I'll let you know when it gets here. About $28 shipped total.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
Out of curiosity I just ordered one from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221534063811

Looks like it might be the right material. I'll let you know when it gets here. About $28 shipped total.

It arrived. Not as solid as the ones I got from cip1 that are now out of stock.

This one bends a bit, not sure how it compares to some of the others that bend.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:

It arrived.
This one bends a bit, not sure how it compares to some of the others that bend.

It is supposed to bend in the horizontal plane. It has to overcome any slight misalignment between the box and the steering shaft, and perhaps give a you an option of a little more steering (if you are still trying) after the hideous front impact.

This coupler is not really a high-demand moment in the realm of material science.
Colin
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

^ holy crap! it looks like all the plasticizer is bleeding out on that part. not sure what kind of lifetime you could expect with that.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
^ holy crap! it looks like all the plasticizer is bleeding out on that part. not sure what kind of lifetime you could expect with that.

I think ? that may be glycerine.
Colin
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Received my spiffy new steering coupler from Custom and Commercial in the UK.

Appears to be the real thing. I cannot flex it as shown in the photos above (though I will readily admit that I am a weakling)

Cost? A helluva lot.
24.99 UK pounds + 21.22 UK pounds postage = 46.21 or US$58.12

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Success! My bus drives again and now it doesn't scare the crap out of me in turns.

Driving down to The Kombi Haus before the repair was very scary; I was weaving all over the road. ("the road" being Hwy 50 through Sacramento during the morning commute).

The mechanic was quite astonished that I had managed to make it there without crashing. (yes, I know, I should have had it towed in)
Apparently, the steering coupler thingie was only held together with two bolts.

And yes, the shop approved of that (pictured above) "inobtanium" OEM part.

Thanks again to The Kombi Haus! My steering is like new!
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Finally got around to replacing my coupler with the CIP1 I got a while back. It looked okay from below, but I could hear it flexing when turning the wheel. Once I took the cover off the top I could see it was torn pretty badly in 2 places. As expected it was the dreaded "PREMIUM QUALITY" coupler.

Used M8-1.25x40 Cap Nut Screws Grade 10.9. Partially threaded. HD washers on top, spring washers on the bottom with nylock nuts. Screws are a little long, but worked fine.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I just put in a request for a quotation for total order from Custom and Commercial as others have stated that these are supposed to be very nice. We shall see.

I did notice that the pic still shows a VW logo but the text states they are a very nice aftermarked part.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Santos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

By any chance, is there a company out there that might offer a polyurethane version of this coupler? In fact, would that have any advantage? I've previously driven lowered cars where a variety of bushings and spacers were swapped out with polyurethane rather than rubber replacements.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Seems that was discussed somewhere in this thread and nobody knew of a Bus one, and someone reported seeing a broken one on a Type 1-based car. Also postulated that it would transmit a lot of vibrations up the steering column and be unpleasant.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

If you were to put a metal strap with one slightly oversize hole over one of those bolt ends and secured it with slightly loose lock nuts,and the other end tight on the other bolt,the rubber flex joint would still flex and if it failed you would not loose control.use 2 straps one on each set of bolts.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.

Last edited by lil-jinx on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 31

Jump to: