Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Mosquito Net
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Westfalia Mosquito Net Reply with quote

I'm looking for detailed pics of where the poppers are situated on the rear hatch entrance of the bus so I can fit my mosquite net - any help greatly received.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/119498.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll snap some pictures of mine later today and get them your way.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I got some pictures and took some measurements for you. In the pictures, I have put a red circle around all the snaps that are on my bus. I will tell you, though, that my bus does not have all the snaps on it. It is missing one on each side (the 2nd snap with the top one being the 1st), and all that are along the bottom edge.

I measured the distance between the snaps on the top edge. Going from left to right. Between closest protrusion for the hinge and the closest edge of the first snap is 1.25 inches. Between the two closest edges of the 1st and 2nd, the 2nd and 3rd, the 3rd and 4th snaps is 9.25 inches. Between two closest edges of the 4th and 5th snaps is 8 and 3/8 inches. Then between the 5th nap and the first protrusion you come to for the hinge is 1 and 3/16 inches. I was surpsied that it wasn't symmetrical, but it isn't. If you need any more measurements, just say so; and I'd be happy to take them.

This is what mine looks like in my bus.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Top edge

Passenger Top Corner

Driver Top Corner

Passenger Side

Driver Side

bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew you are a diamond geezer! I have copied all your pics and words and will start fitting asap.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Rich
bigbulli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these of e-bay for my 67 westy. It is set up like andrews. Where do I get the snaps that attach to the door frame. Are these standard fare or metric or somthing. Do I screw them on or poprivet them. Thanks for the pics.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLFVW sells the snaps.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about any major hardware store should have the snap bases with or without screws. I found mine at Orchard Supply Hardware.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Mosquito Net Reply with quote

What about original mosquito nets, are they from the split era? Would a nos one be worth anything?

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Mosquito Net Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
What about original mosquito nets, are they from the split era? Would a nos one be worth anything?
The one pictured above is from Split era.
Looks like they go for ~$32-$34 new ('64-'79)
If yours is still perfect & complete with all the snaps, etc... it would fetch more. Not sure if 2x more?

http://www.justkampers.com/tailgate-mosquito-mesh-vw-t2-split-1964-1967-vw-t2-bay-1967-1979.html

http://kieftenklok.nl/shop/index.php/en/homepage/w...-79-detail
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Mosquito Net Reply with quote

Alright, so this is a split one then, cool. I don't know if I need it or if I have the nerve to drill holes in the bus for it, but I like finding nos vw stuff so yee haw! Laughing

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Mosquito Net Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Red Fau Veh wrote:
The one pictured above is from Split era.
Looks like they go for ~$32-$34 new ('64-'79)
If yours is still perfect & complete with all the snaps, etc... it would fetch more. Not sure if 2x more?

It would fit a split era bus but Westy campers prior to '68 didn't come with them originally.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Mosquito Net Reply with quote

Ahhhh, that sucks, bay era then. Oh well at least its not a repop.
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Mosquito Net Reply with quote

I have seen orig period nets that work with out snaps.
They have bungee like straps that fit the hinges and bumpers, work perfect.
I used one this summer on my 67.

Last edited by [email protected] on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Mosquito Net Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:

Pretty cool...that thing should also be posted in this thread IMO.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=286915&highlight=random+nos+part
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: