Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdrennan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

All,

Looking for some advice on the proper installation of the anti-rattle bushing for the upper bearing in the steering column on my '77 Super Convertible.

Does the bushing go on before the ignition switch housing like this...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or after the ignition switch housing like this...

Also, is the metal style like this one shown below any better than the plastic ones that are sold now (as pictured above)...?

Thanks,
Mike
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, now I gotta check mine...

mdrennan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bushing is #1A in the parts illustration, correct? So it appears it should go before the ignition switch housing as shown in my first picture. Is that how you see it?
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: bushing Reply with quote

Goes on before the switch. Jeff
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdrennan wrote:
The bushing is #1A in the parts illustration, correct? So it appears it should go before the ignition switch housing as shown in my first picture. Is that how you see it?

That's how I did it. Put it on the shaft and as you slide the housing on the bushing wedges into the bearing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdrennan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! Much, much appreciated!

Mike
supermanbidder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Does it slide? Reply with quote

Does the bushing slide in between the bearing and the shaft if so mine (which is the clear plastic type) wont fit that way
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictur Reply with quote

mdrennan wrote:
Also, is the metal style like this one shown below any better than the plastic ones that are sold now (as pictured above)...?

For a '77 you need this metal one, or the horn will not work properly.

I found on my '75 the plastic one was not a good fit and could only be pushed in half way. The metal one is designed to crush and pack out the space between the bearing and the shaft, plus provide an earth path for the horn circuit.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictur Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
For a '77 you need this metal one, or the horn will not work properly.

I found on my '75 the plastic one was not a good fit and could only be pushed in half way. The metal one is designed to crush and pack out the space between the bearing and the shaft, plus provide an earth path for the horn circuit.

I don't believe you need the metal one for any of the US steering columns after the '70 model year. '70 was the last of the years that used the upper steering column bearing to pass current to the steering wheel+ column. From '71 on the current from the horn passed through the large brass wing(s) on the face of the turn signal switch (you can see the wing in the second pic up top). This passes current to the steering wheel+steering column, then to the horn switch. The other side of the horn switch had the wire that runs down inside the steering shaft to the steering box where it is grounded.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictur Reply with quote

ashman wrote:
40I don't believe you need the metal one for any of the US steering columns after the '70 model year. '70 was the last of the years that used the upper steering column bearing to pass current to the steering wheel+ column. From '71 on the current from the horn passed through the large brass wing(s) on the face of the turn signal switch (you can see the wing in the second pic up top). This passes current to the steering wheel+steering column, then to the horn switch. The other side of the horn switch had the wire that runs down inside the steering shaft to the steering box where it is grounded.

The large brass / copper 'wing' passes current to one side of the horn switch in the steering wheel, this is isolated from the column. The other side of the horn switch needs to be connected to ground.

I think only standard Beetles (straight steering column) had the wire passing down inside to earth at the steering box. This doesn't work with Supers with 2x UJs in the column. Super columns are grounded at the top bearing via the metal bush.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictur Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
This doesn't work with Supers with 2x UJs in the column. Super columns are grounded at the top bearing via the metal bush.

It must ground somewhere else as my Super definitely has a plastic anti rattle bushing in it and has for the last 5 or so years.
You'll see it in my ignition switch replacement vid.
I couldnt find a source of metal ones last time I needed a replacement.

The steering shaft bolted to the 2 universals probably grounds through the steering box being bolted to the body as well as through the lower column support bearing.

I'll suss out a some of my spare super steering columns but I'm sure most of them have what is left of plastic bushings.
I figured it was VW cost cutting swapping the metal to plastic in the 70s.
halimjimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

I have standard 1974 Beetle , for a while the steering wheel shaft wiggle and rattle. I disconnected the wheel ,removed the washer and signal switches and there were nothing else except the shaft and the bearing. The diameter of the bearing opening is 1" what type and size of anti rattle bushing do I have to install ? and what type metal or plastic . I do appreciate if you know its part #

Thanks for your advise
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

halimjimmy wrote:
I have standard 1974 Beetle , for a while the steering wheel shaft wiggle and rattle. I disconnected the wheel ,removed the washer and signal switches and there were nothing else except the shaft and the bearing. The diameter of the bearing opening is 1" what type and size of anti rattle bushing do I have to install ? and what type metal or plastic . I do appreciate if you know its part #

The plastic one

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D111%2D535D

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halimjimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

birddog1 wrote:
halimjimmy wrote:

The plastic one

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D111%2D535D

The metal bushing thinner than the plastic one. I feel that the plastic will never fit in between the bearing opening and the steering shaft.
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

halimjimmy wrote:

Thanks for your advise

I have a 1974 Std Bug too and I had the same problem with steering shaft wiggle and waggle (see thread below where I discuss this).
I believe you are missing the plastic spacer (which is made out of unobtainium). I had to "make" a plastic bushing to solve my problem.

It's been working great ever since Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608983&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

On my 71 Super I had lateral movement on the steering wheel -> up/down, left-right, but not in/out. The movement was not due to the antirattle bushing, but due to the bearing being worn. Just replaced it with a new one and the steering feels solid now.

Here's pics of the orientation of the metal anti-rattle bushing and blue (3-D printed) sleeve. The sleeve does not appear to really perform any function I could discern.

halimjimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
On my 71 Super I had lateral movement on the steering wheel -> up/down, left-right, but not in/out. The movement was not due to the antirattle bushing, but due to the bearing being worn. Just replaced it with a new one and the steering feels solid now.

Here's pics of the orientation of the metal anti-rattle bushing and blue (3-D printed) sleeve. The sleeve does not appear to really perform any function I could discern.

Thank you , I found metal anti rattle at CIP 1. its on the way. Appreciate your advise.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

Here is another pic from a post where a split PVC pipe was used as a spacer replacement. Note the C-clip keeping the steering shaft snuggly in place, minimizing the in/out movement of the shaft. Does your steering shaft have the groove for the C-clip?

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

It does have it. Here's a picture showing that the plastic bushing/spacer dpes not touch the circlip.

Even the original bushing was not touching the circlip.

Byas
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Anti-Rattle Bushing Orientation - Pictures Reply with quote

I noticed that the inner ribs on your blue spacer are down towards the metal anti-rattle bushing. I thought this spacer is what sits between the top of the upper bearing and the C-clip on the shaft.
Have you tried turning it around and place the ribs at the top end. This would make the inside diameter smaller and would give the C-clip something to press against.

I found another pic of a 3D printed spacer which looks similar to yours (maybe the same plans?).

You can clearly see the ribs only extend part way into the spacer. This means it is important which direction you orient it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: