Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

i bought the Empi full axle set, cvs boots and axle. price was equal to about one Lobro brand cv joint.

the Empi cvs were loose and sloppy, the surface finsh of the races where heavily scored (much like in the above photo on prior post) I returned them, and went with two new Lobros installed on my original axles (the Empi axles had different splines than the original VW onesent

I was later told by the vw shop that sold the parts that for most people, they have the joint installed by a shop, so they never see nor feel the difference in quality, and I was told the Empi ones last long enough for the warrentee period given by most installer shops. the price being about half of the quality Lobro joint, plus the labor savings by having the axle preassembled means a big cost savings for the customer upfront. that is why the poor quality axles sets sell. I was told many diy owners prefer the quality part as they only want to do the job once.

leason learned.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Is this a test ?
This is a test right ?

Vanagon Nut wrote:
But I would think that given Mark's experience and knowledge, maybe there's more to this post? i.e. maybe folks replace CV joints before they're due?

x2.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

I installed the new joints for my family member in 2008 and the factory date code on the joint is from early 2008. He gave me the 110k mile figure but I will ask again to see if he sticks to it. I agree the joint looks barely worn at all and much less than I expected.

Mark

alaskadan wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
I would doubt that those joints have anywhere close to 110,000 miles on them.

Was kinda thinking that too. Had you worded this post "How many miles do you think are on these cvs?" I doubt many would guess 110,000 miles. They really look barely used.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

But I would think that given Mark's experience and knowledge, maybe there's more to this post?

yes, there is something suspicious here... Wink
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
levi wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

But I would think that given Mark's experience and knowledge, maybe there's more to this post?

yes, there is something suspicious here... Wink

haha. Well.... likely not. Wink

probably pretty simple. I'd certainly be surprised to see such little wear on a 110K mile set of CV's. Maybe they saw mostly highway miles?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

no, the something suspicious is why he in particular would post these with a question, as he surely knows they are fine

and, maybe will last longer than a new set if the new ones are from certain countries of manufacture

now, if he'd set up a fake user account, such as noobey-doobey-do and then made the same post...
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

For sure yes. I wondered if there was a hint towards CV brand.

< shrugs >

I'm still curious as to what type of driving this bus typically saw.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

I'm curious as to the brand of CVs on it - original VW maybe?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

Well, here you go. This is why it is of interest to me. I'm not 100% convinced of the miles though that is what he says.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark

Merian wrote:
I'm curious as to the brand of CVs on it - original VW maybe?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

Aha! The other shoe drops. I wondered if this wouldn't be the case. If I recall, Mark has posted of EMPI brand complete half shafts being (my words) worthwhile or of decent value. But then who knows where they've sourced parts over the years? A lot can change in 8 years.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CV wear photos, 110k miles, maybe still good? Reply with quote

I would be interested to know how tight the CV is when assembled. I have wondered if an overly tight CV keeps the axle from moving around as much and thus the wear occurs over a smallish area and pitting quickly occurs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: