Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 Java Green Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Enjoying your project. That looks like a Mooneyes steering wheel. I used a slotted spoke one in in my ghia til I found a used EMPI GTV.
http://www.mooneyesusa.com/15-inch-Metal-Flake-4-Hole-3-Spoke-Steering-Wheel-p/gs280cm.htm

It is a mooneyes one I bought back in '03-'04 and ended up not using it.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

I installed the quarter window seals yesterday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I pulled the motor and threw in a fresh clutch setup. I would also like to point out that you need to remove the flywheel lock before attempting to install the engine. Embarassed

While I had the motor out I fixed a few other things. Most of the exhaust nuts were loose or missing. Lots of loose tin screws. Just snugged everything up a bit. I fixed the engine seal that was in good shape but not installed all the way and cleaned the engine compartment. I'm a little closer to having a good daily driving old Cal Look Bug.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

No pictures but I finished the engine install and went on a test drive without issues. I need to install the wiper motor and align the front end next. Good progress today. Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Good work on the car so far.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

I scored some used BRM'S today, 5.5" and 6.5"

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

I received a 5" beam in the mail the other day that I ordered from a guy in Arkansas. His business is called fabshop104. Now if I can only find time to install it!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

I've been driving the Bug around on short errands for a week or so with no issues other than I have no defrost. I have heat to my feet but not up to the windshield. The first step is to remove the torn up paper tubes down in the quarter panels.

Then I decided to pull the hood of to make life easier.

This is all the crap I pulled out of the passenger side.

Cut off this upholstery nail on each side before jamming you hand in there otherwise it's like an old time raccoon trap.

Now I have to figure out how to get the paper ring left on the tube down below, Any thoughts?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:

Now I have to figure out how to get the paper ring left on the tube down below, Any thoughts?

Boy I hope Samba peeps have an answer to this one! I'm in the same spot on this issue. Lots threads get to this point but I have yet to find one that details an answer. Anyone have a link?

Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:

I've seen where some guys cut an access hole or opening in the inner A-piller behind the carpet to gain access to this connection... If carefully located, the hole probably doesn't have to be too large I would think. Hope this helps. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667248&highlight=heater+tube
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

I used some tig rod and broke it up a used a shop vac to pick up the pieces.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

MI-Bug wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:

I've seen where some guys cut an access hole or opening in the inner A-piller behind the carpet to gain access to this connection... If carefully located, the hole probably doesn't have to be too large I would think. Hope this helps. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667248&highlight=heater+tube

That's a great link MI-Bug lots of info. Go Buckeyes! Just kidding lol.

Sixfootdan thank you for posting all the info and pictures of these tough to get spots. That is cleanest access to the tunnel I have stumbled on yet. Hole saw is a great idea, and with a smaller one for the metal than you used on the tarboard so it goes back so tight like that. So slick. I never would have thought to try a holesaw on that curved tunnel. I have a couple of cans of that Eastwood frame rail paint too, waiting for the warm weather to arrive here. It looks like it worked great.

The wheels you got are going to look great with the java green color. The car is going to pop with those.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Installed all the chrome trim, fixed the ebrake and put on some new wipers. Now it ready to get in the daily driver rotation. The narrowed beam and BRM's will come later. I have a Motorcycle I want to work on so the bug got bumped down on the laboratory priority list.

I did find a SB12 headlight ring in my stash so I threw it on.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Java Green Bug Reply with quote

Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: