Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unsafe pedal assembly
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

For the second time now the brake pushrod became disconnected from the pedal assembly, resulting in immediate and complete brake failure! I suppose that's why we have an emergency brake...

The way the pushrod is being held in by a pin and a metal lock tab just doesn't cut it. It's unbelievably unsafe! Have any of you found a more reliable way to keep the pushrod locked in, or better yet, is there a way to use the pedal assembly for later model years in a 1963?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

My 62 was totally missing the clip when I got it, which sucked when it rattled out when on the interstate one day, and I went to exit and no pedal! fortunately I know how to downshift and my parking brake worked OK.

That was in like 1989 I think. Ever since I got a clip and installed it properly, I've never had a problem.

And the clip in your photo, is not installed correctly! It should be more like this:

and a snip from an old VW line drawing of the pedal cluster:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

What he said.👆
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

And the clip in your photo, is not installed correctly! It should be more like this:

and a snip from an old VW line drawing of the pedal cluster:

Thanks Glutamodo! I bet that's why it got loose twice!
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

Yup. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing....once

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
My 62 was totally missing the clip when I got it, which sucked when it rattled out when on the interstate one day, and I went to exit and no pedal! fortunately I know how to downshift and my parking brake worked OK.

That was in like 1989 I think. Ever since I got a clip and installed it properly, I've never had a problem.

A classic tale! My year was 1988 for the same surprise! driving home from work in the dark, heading toward what at the time was the busiest traffic intersection in the state! (Fairview and Cole). Heading toward 4 lanes of busy traffic at about 35- and my pedal went flat, nothing happened, so I grabbed the wheel with everything I had and darted to the left into a closed, corner gas station. Curbed and taco'd my right front wheel but lived. Clip and pin were laying on the floor by the cluster.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

Even with the lock tab installed correctly around the pin the damn assembly is just a major weak spot and a disaster waiting to happen. As if we're not already dealing with enough safety issues driving these cars!
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

Well, like I said, I corrected mine in 1989. I just checked, I've put 320K on the car since then, without any further issue with that pin.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

Half a dozen cars over the years, collectively about 600,000 miles on them,.. no failures there. Probably as many cars and half the miles among the rest of the family, still no failures.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

^ Yep...

When installed correctly and in good condition... the push rod pin securing tab is fool proof..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
Even with the lock tab installed correctly around the pin the damn assembly is just a major weak spot and a disaster waiting to happen. As if we're not already dealing with enough safety issues driving these cars!

This thread had me running out to check my assembly, too. It was OK, and in looking at it further, it seems like a very simple and effective way to hold the pin in. There's no stress on the clip. I don't know that it seems like a major weak spot or a disaster waiting to happen, unless maybe the clip rusts away and falls off over time. But if the clip is that badly rusted, then probably so is the rest of the car!

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

the exact same thing happened to me tonight, needed to break suddenly and the brake disengaged failing completely!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8261278#8261278

tempted to buy a new car after this!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe pedal assembly Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
This thread had me running out to check my assembly, too. It was OK, and in looking at it further, it seems like a very simple and effective way to hold the pin in. There's no stress on the clip. I don't know that it seems like a major weak spot or a disaster waiting to happen, unless maybe the clip rusts away and falls off over time. But if the clip is that badly rusted, then probably so is the rest of the car!

It's not easy to anticipate all the different things that could be done wrong during a repair procedure....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: