Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noisy Shifting
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to silence a clunky, metal-on-metal, noisy shifter?? Moving the shifter side to side while in neutral sounds horrible. Is there a bushing or something that I can replace/install for smooth, silent shifting??

Thanks guys.
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

There's a nylon bush in the centre tunnel about three inches behind the shift rod - these wear and split leaving the shift rod to hit the metal hanger which is the unpleasant noise you're getting. If you search shift rod bush there are plenty of articles on how to replace. Bit fiddly but not difficult- takes an hour or so but makes big improvement to shift quality

Moderator Edit: Shift rod bushing Replacement - Cheater Method
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

Thanks Paul70Ghia,

After searching the correct wording, I did find a couple articles. JBUGS even has a great write up and YouTube video. Have the part on order, looking forward to a smooth/quiet shift soon.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/video-shifter-rebuild.html

Thanks again!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

You ordered the coupler too right?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

I will have a look when I take things apart... Is the urethane one the way to go? Always heard urethane bushings were squeaky, not necessarily this one in particular. I think it was a swing arm bushing that was squeaky.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

CB makes a good one.
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6110.htm
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

Purchased. Thanks C21Darrel!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

Replaced and test drove. Shifts quieter and smooth. After sound deadening material, carpet, upholstery... Probably won't hear a thing. Very happy with the results. Recommend this afternoon project to everyone, quick and easy.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

Quote:
Replaced and test drove. Shifts quieter and smooth. After sound deadening material, carpet, upholstery and an electric motor... Probably won't hear a thing. Very happy with the results. Recommend this afternoon project to everyone, quick and easy.

Fixed it for you. Wink
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

Haha! Nice one... Actually drove to my local Vdub guy for a look at why it won't idle. My first drive after purchasing it. After it struggles through 1st and 2nd, it really wants to go. Such a fun car to drive. Must have looked pretty funny driving a car with no windows. Couldn't hear anything but the wind going through my hair. 😏
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

Kind of an old post.... but thought I would share my experience. I was having smooth shifting, but a squeaky shifting situation.... so I figured shift rod bushing...when I went to replace it, I noticed that there wasn’t an old one to replace... and the new one would not fit... checked the Bentley manual, and sure enough, up to a certain chassis number there is no bushing.... so anyway, I cleaned the shift rod and greased up the guide, works perfectly.... so in the future I’ll just need to grease that spot just behind the shifter... chocked that one up for experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice no clip either in this illustration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Haynes manual has the clip in the illustration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dualport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Noisy Shifting Reply with quote

Thanks very much for this call-out. I was worried that someone fashioned their I am working on a '57 pan and am frustrated with the shifting action on the new transmission.

I guess the only thing I'll be able to do is keep sanding/smoothing the shift rod as it has gotten really corroded over the years. I'll probably need to upgrade my shifter as the '59 donor shifter pin is nearly gone.

calexican wrote:
Kind of an old post.... but thought I would share my experience. I was having smooth shifting, but a squeaky shifting situation.... so I figured shift rod bushing...when I went to replace it, I noticed that there wasn’t an old one to replace... and the new one would not fit... checked the Bentley manual, and sure enough, up to a certain chassis number there is no bushing.... so anyway, I cleaned the shift rod and greased up the guide, works perfectly.... so in the future I’ll just need to grease that spot just behind the shifter... chocked that one up for experience.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: