Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: volkaholic1
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: Yesterday
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

My transaction was simple, and he was dialed in. Got his hoover bit, he emailed tracking quickly and it came quickly. Website made it easy to pay, part was great. thank you. Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrenchnride247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

Great service and response time. Happy with purchase, would use again! Thanks!

'62 SC 69x90.5 SP TI
'70 T1 84x105 DP T4
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

Last night ordered me a type 4 thermostat/wire/pulley set from AP. my old one (original vw type 1 adaptation by PO) busted between the ribs. i hope its a straight forward, quick install. thanks everyone for the recommendation.
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

installed the thermostat yesterday. had to enlarge the hole in the bracket for the hex screw to fit through without snagging. works as advertised. high quality custom built product.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

Same as the previous comment...had to enlarge the hole in the bracket. But, easy to do and the thermostat looks and works flawlessly.

When I placed the order I was told it was the busy time of year and it may take a couple of weeks; but it still showed up within a week.

Great transaction, great product.
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

I ordered one of the Thermostats from Clark and received it very quickly. It's nice to have someone that is making new ones so I don't have to hope and pray that I find a good one. Thanks for the good communication and fast shipping!

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

Got a couple of his engine model kits from Clark. Very quick turn around time and very happy with the kits - he also shipped directly to me in Canada.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

I just bought my second thermostat, after damaging the first one somehow. He was out of stock when I ordered, but he kept me posted when I should expect it. And his estimate was right on.

The thermostat is a thing of beauty, and is as close as OEM as you will find. Thanks for making these rare and complicated parts for us.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

Clark is awesome. I bought a type 4 thermostat a couple of years ago. Transaction and communication was fantastic. Getting ready to place an order for some type 1 stuff soon.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

Awesome is a good company but....

The T4 cooling flaps assy we just purchased was very poorly done. The passenger side flap had been weld to the cross rod in the wrong position so it was useless. The rod was bent. The drivers side flap had hinge pieces made out of plastic and pop riveted to the flap. One of these clips broke as soon as we tried to snap it over the hinge point. Also, another plastic bracket had been installed backwards but we fixed that.

So right now the owner is trying to locate a new flap assy because our engine build is dead in the water.

I think Awesome needs better quality control on their remanufactured parts.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

A set of thermostat flaps and a new thermostat. Helpful seller and great parts, thanks !
82bessieblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Awesome is a good company but....

The T4 cooling flaps assy we just purchased was very poorly done. The passenger side flap had been weld to the cross rod in the wrong position so it was useless. The rod was bent. The drivers side flap had hinge pieces made out of plastic and pop riveted to the flap. One of these clips broke as soon as we tried to snap it over the hinge point. Also, another plastic bracket had been installed backwards but we fixed that.

So right now the owner is trying to locate a new flap assy because our engine build is dead in the water.

I think Awesome needs better quality control on their remanufactured parts.

I too just purchased a set of type 4 cooling flaps as part of my '82 vanagon rebuild project. The metal parts seem ok and oriented correctly but I had the same issue with the pop-riveted "3d printed" plastic fasteners. Immediately upon attempting installation both of the rear plastic carriers on the back of the driver's side flap snapped at the hinge point! Initially I considered jb plastic weld, but decided to replace the plastic carriers with metal pieces that I had to fashion myself. Better piece of mind when I'm 40k miles into this rebuilt engine.

When I went to reinstall the flap, the plastic piece on the bottom of the metal carrier hook snapped. Once this second failure occurred I contacted Clark and sent pictures of the broken pieces. Instead of offering a partial refund or an apology, he immediately accuses me of incorrectly installing the part, and that no one else has had this issue. He then offered to send me replacement PLASTIC fasteners.

I asked him why he can't use metal fasteners and he blamed it on cost. Never mind the fact that I spent less than $10 retail on metal pieces to replace the plastic fasteners. I would gladly pay the extra $10 for a higher quality product. I do not think the build quality is worth $170. Regardless, the flaps work great now! Smile

So unfortunately I cannot recommend Awesome Powdercoat. Probably would be better off sourcing flaps from a salvage yard or buying used on Ebay, etc... and having them repurposed yourself.

I just hope the thermostat I also purchased from him holds up better than the flaps!
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

I purchased some carburetor linkage from Clark. He was quick to respond with his emails, and the part arrived quickly. I would buy from him again. Thanks!
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

I just purchased a 40HP stale air thermostat system (except the thermo since I have 5 or 6 in the stash) and it really is awesome. Better than brand new since it is powdercoated. It pays to buy the best.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

THUMBS-UP

I got a nice thermostat + flaps setup including all new hardware, delivered on time.
doubledoor64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

I had a terrible experience with Awesome Powdercoat. I am in this close to $500 and didn't even get a full set of tin. Let alone a quality job.

1..Packaging was terrible, mostly newspaper to package a fan shroud, cylinder tins, as well as front and rear tins.Fan shroud was damaged, 1 cylinder tin was bent.

2..overall powdercoat job was poor at best. Very thin in spots with original black coating showing through (see pics) One piece had a bleed through from some contamination (oil?)

3..I ordered silver and the silver pieces do not match he claims they were done with the same powder but there is an obvious difference.

4..Extremely poor welding done to fix venturi ring to fan shroud.

5. I paid for the rear pulley tin to be modified for a full flow oil return line. The hole was unfinished, had a huge burr and was powdercoated over.

6. I ordered new tin. The front (flywheel side) was a used and very pitted (but powdercoated Rolling Eyes ) piece. I expressed my disappointment about this and his answer was "I typically charge more for original so consider it an upgrade"

Overall communication is slow. He did offer that I could send it back but was never clear if I had to pay shipping. Overall very poor experience.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

doubledoor64 wrote:
I had a terrible experience with Awesome Powdercoat. I am in this close to $500 and didn't even get a full set of tin. Let alone a quality job.

1..Packaging was terrible, mostly newspaper to package a fan shroud, cylinder tins, as well as front and rear tins.Fan shroud was damaged, 1 cylinder tin was bent.

2..overall powdercoat job was poor at best. Very thin in spots with original black coating showing through (see pics) One piece had a bleed through from some contamination (oil?)

3..I ordered silver and the silver pieces do not match he claims they were done with the same powder but there is an obvious difference.

4..Extremely poor welding done to fix venturi ring to fan shroud.

5. I paid for the rear pulley tin to be modified for a full flow oil return line. The hole was unfinished, had a huge burr and was powdercoated over.

6. I ordered new tin. The front (flywheel side) was a used and very pitted (but powdercoated Rolling Eyes ) piece. I expressed my disappointment about this and his answer was "I typically charge more for original so consider it an upgrade"

Overall communication is slow. He did offer that I could send it back but was never clear if I had to pay shipping. Overall very poor experience.

Similar experience on a customer's build. I told him it was a high dollar build. Paid to have the full flow fitting clearanced and got a giant hole in the tin. Sent the intake manifold so the tins could be trimmed... needed quite a bit of massaging to get them to fit and had to be careful not to crack the powder paint. Next time i'll use the local guy that did my tin and clearance everything myself.

I did sent some back and had to pay shipping.

This is how the tin should be done to clear the fitting.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doubledoor64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Clark has been in contact. He offered to redo the job if I paid for shipping. I simply feel I shouldn't have to pay shipping to get the job I paid for. All I wanted was new tin that matched in color. I asked for a discount just so I could deal with getting the stuff recoated locally. He dodged the question. Also he has a claim in with fedex for the damaged shroud. Should I have to wait for him to be reimbursed? Or should he send out a shroud to take care of me and wait to be reimbursed. IMO it's not my fault his packing job was poor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doubledoor64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

I received a $65 refund from Clark today and decided to wash my hands of it. The refund won’t cover the costs of me having to get the stuff recoated properly, but it does take the sting off of the transaction. Overall not a great experience. I wouldn’t recommend
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Powdercoat - [email protected] Reply with quote

Save your money and go somewhere else. Paid up front. I was told the first time it would be 2 weeks, next it was I hurt my head, then I have to order the parts, your parts are next in line, then I have a big job in front of you. & weeks later(7) I get my parts and it looks like a high school shop student did the work. scratches, grind marks, welding is god awful, paid to have the the top head tins modified and the came unevenly trimmed. scratches, dust under coating. This is trash work from a company that lied to me over and over again. Air venturi added and not centered, no Hover mod I paid for. Helen Keller could have don a better job.

I called him and he said send it back. My customer has already towed his vehicle out of my shop and is not happy. He is my customer and the customer is always right. He is in this case. Wish I had time to send it back.(Another 7 weeks, and I appreciate the offer, I cant wait two more) It is now going to be done by a local company. This will be out of my pocket. I want my work done correctly the first time. My customers get that. AP obviously does not care what they send out. If they did I would not receive sub-par parts.
I will be calling the better BBB , I am sure he is not accredited with them and I know why. If I find any of his sites I will post on them also, Don't want anyone else to be scammed. Looks like I am out a bit over $500 to him, plus getting them redone.

Good luck in the future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: