Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remove headlight wires from fender
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Remove headlight wires from fender Reply with quote

I am wanting to remove fenders for painting. The front fender wiring to lights won't come through the small hole in the fender. Only option I see is to cut wires and splice back together. Sure hate to mess up that good harness the wires are in. I have thought about cutting a large enough hole then make a patch and pop rivet and silicone back to make to make waterproof.What have some of you done?

OH OH, I just went back out and looked again. What I thought was a connector to parking light looks lite it won't come apart. So that means I would have to cut a piece out including both holes or cut just those wires and splice them back. At least they would be inside and protected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Remove headlight wires from fender Reply with quote

The wire ends on the headlight plug can be pulled out of the plug but you need to push the tab on the connector from the headlight side. This takes a very small screw driver. The same for the park lights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove headlight wires from fender Reply with quote

Al Caplco hooked me up with one of these tools a while back. I am not sure of the name of them. It looks like a flat blade about the size of a toothpick and you stick it in each wire hole from the backside and there is a tang on the spaded connector that it depresses and then you can pull the wire out of the headlight or ignition or rear taillight wire sockets.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592067&highlight=headlight

Maybe it is called a terminal release tool.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove headlight wires from fender Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Al Caplco hooked me up with one of these tools a while back. I am not sure of the name of them. It looks like a flat blade about the size of a toothpick and you stick it in each wire hole from the backside and there is a tang on the spaded connector that it depresses and then you can pull the wire out of the headlight or ignition or rear taillight wire sockets.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592067&highlight=headlight

Maybe it is called a terminal release tool.

Thanks very nuch
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: