Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

That just looks like there should be flames coming out of the fan intake.

Have you already worked on your George jetson costume for next Halloween ?
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

i hope flames never come out of there, but it does look like they should.

2/4 rooms complete in house per gf's new living standards guidelines. I don't really understand them, and rule following doesn't come naturally to me, but I've discovered it is so much easier to just do what she wants...no more drawing on the walls. Completed rooms were the hard ones too. at this rate i should be all finished up with house stuff by the darkest coldest time of winter. Also putting together a wintertime commuting bicycle right now. So its unlikely any major progress will take place until the thaw next year unless we get another mild winter. there's a few things i can do in the spare bedroom/vw workshop/motorcycle room in winter, so we will see...

haven't assembled a proper driving motley for this vehicle yet, was thinking alien/cosmonaut costumes would be appropriate...
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Well I'm still waiting, go ahead and finish the house. I thought a Mork and Mindy type outfit/jump suit. Helmet may be a bit much, maybe just some goggles.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rolled the car out of the garage so I could weld up a roof rack for my buddy's 750$ chevy spark. first time the bubble car has left its cradle. unfortunately still no closer to completion. house projects closer, but haven't done a thing to the car. looks good out in the alley though!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Cool spaceship! Cool
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

That puts an ear to ear grin on my face. I can only imagine how you feel sitting in it! NICE JOB!!!!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

That looks great. Very well done. A little dry ice under it & it would look like it just landed. Applause Applause Applause
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Applause

Super cool. I think you totally hit your mark, you've got to be really happy with that. The bubble proportions are spot on.

I can't decide which view I like the best. The rear 3/4 highlighting your inspired trick rear treatment? Front 3/4 that shows more of your amazing metal work? That sleek low profile short wheelbase shot? That rear view with that fan centered in the rear and custom shroud work that is going to keep a lot of folks guessing about the power plant? I could probably wear myself out walking around this car appreciating the work....

What's planned for an exhaust? Wait don't tell me, I'm having fun thinking of the possibilities. I can wait... Smile

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Neil, earlier you said that you were worried about the headlights. I was too. They look perfect. Well done
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I love it!! The only issue I have is those huge, olive shaped, headlights. The proportions are all way off compared to the rest of the car with where they are now. I personally think they make the font end look heavy, almost like a set of accessory plow lights dangling off of it or the eyes of Spongebob's pet snail, Gary. It just disrupts the flow for me. Maybe if they were lower and pulled back so you only see like half the horizontal profile of the light housing sticking out from behind the front of the tires or there was something smaller, lower and set back more , it would clean up the lines. Anyway, that's just my own personal take on it, you really are doing an awesome job on this!

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:

rolled the car out of the garage so I could weld up a roof rack for my buddy's 750$ chevy spark. first time the bubble car has left its cradle. unfortunately still no closer to completion. house projects closer, but haven't done a thing to the car. looks good out in the alley though!

OH HELL YEAH! That is just freaking Awesome!
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
I love it!! The only issue I have is those huge, olive shaped, headlights. The proportions are all way off compared to the rest of the car with where they are now. I personally think they make the font end look heavy, almost like a set of accessory plow lights dangling off of it or the eyes of Spongebob's pet snail, Gary. It just disrupts the flow for me. Maybe if they were lower and pulled back so you only see like half the horizontal profile of the light housing sticking out from behind the front of the tires or there was something smaller, lower and set back more , it would clean up the lines. Anyway, that's just my own personal take on it, you really are doing an awesome job on this!

^ Agreed.. and ditto on every point..

but... At certain picture angles.. I cant help but smile..and giggle (in a good admiring way) from the cartoonish appearance that includes the big protruding bug eye olive headlights. I agree they disrupt the continuity body line flow some.

Certainly.. an awesome creation from the envision..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

So awesome, I cannot express the incredible fabrication and vision you have. The only thing that comes close is your smile sitting in the roadster!

Wow!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:

This shot, and that car are 100% awesome!

Keep it up ,we're loving it.
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Too cool! Shocked
1jarhead2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

WOW, that is really cool. hopefully it will be slathered in tons of flake and miles deep Kandy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I love the headlights. They look like small rockets to allow the thing to back up.

The dry ice thing at a show would really set the scene.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:

My dad sent me this link today
http://jalopnik.com/1788103372

So now I'm thinking 'Parkplatzhundkocher' is another potential name for this build, if I ever finish up my house projects and get to work on it.

I just saw this. Perfect!
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

new photos added. did a bit more mockup work over the weekend. its clear now that the top tin over the engine needs to be clearanced a bit more to get the carbs to seat proberly. still no time to actually do anything productive, but wanted to get some better pictures before the weather gets super shitty. built up a winter commuter bike in the meantime and still working on house stuff.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Applause So kewl.. Cool

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 23

Jump to: