Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Postal Flare repros ~ group buy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on mud flaps for these yet? Has anyone fabricated mud flaps for them? Is there a way to fabricate the SA mud flaps to work?

IG Westyrestorations
FB WestyRestorations, parts and accessories

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I clicked on this thread to ask that very same question. I love the flares, but absolutely require the mudflaps, so any solutions to combing the two would be appreciated.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a design based off the Swedish factory mudflaps that are found on the Syncro. It's basically flat and mounts flush with a bracket.
Sorry we stalled on the project due to the Terrapodz. We'll get back on it.

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
We had a design based off the Swedish factory mudflaps that are found on the Syncro. It's basically flat and mounts flush with a bracket.
Sorry we stalled on the project due to the Terrapodz. We'll get back on it.

Eric

Thanks for the info. Does anybody have a pic of these mudflaps? I need some mudflaps too!

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
PMM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any headway on integrating these awesome flares with SA Mudflaps? I'm about to install the mudflaps, but would love to do both flares with mud flaps. Just wanting to see if there's been an update or progress since this thread went quiet a while back.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Postal Flare repros ~ group buy Reply with quote

I am looking to install the flares on a 1990 syncro westy with the original fiberglass bumpers, a few questions:

1. My bumpers are stock and have slightly grayish hue, will these match reasonably well with the color?

2. I realize that I will lose the front fender spats, I already have the stock mudflap protecting the propane tank, will installing a matching flap on the passenger side remedy rock strikes? or do the spats work better?

3. My understanding that with minimal trimming of the flares is required to match the contours of fiberglass rear bumper and the door molding, is this reasonably easy to do?

thanks
TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Postal Flare repros ~ group buy Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
I am looking to install the flares on a 1990 syncro westy with the original fiberglass bumpers, a few questions:

1. My bumpers are stock and have slightly grayish hue, will these match reasonably well with the color?

2. I realize that I will lose the front fender spats, I already have the stock mudflap protecting the propane tank, will installing a matching flap on the passenger side remedy rock strikes? or do the spats work better?

3. My understanding that with minimal trimming of the flares is required to match the contours of fiberglass rear bumper and the door molding, is this reasonably easy to do?

thanks

1) Only you can tell. Doesn't sound like it from your description though. Re-painting bumpers isn't too terrible of a job. If you remove/prep them you can get a paint shop to do a quality job for cheap.

2) Does your passenger side have more rock strikes than your drivers side? If so, it shows your spats aren't protecting much compared to your mud flap. Obtain a german style mud flap which does not interfere with the flare, if you care that much. I would think the flares protect just as much as your spats.

3) Some people opt to trim the fiberglass bumpers instead of the flares. Something to give some thought to, considering the possibility of changing to an aftermarket bumper in the future. If you do then your flares just look silly and you're out $500. A full front and rear set of fiberglass bumpers in good shape can be had for $500. You can trim the fiberglass in such a way that it doesn't look silly if you ever decide to remove the flares. I'd personally go that route.

If you haven't read the last several pages of this thread, do so.
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Postal Flare repros ~ group buy Reply with quote

I just saw this ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1990914
. Looks like this guys Van rockin the fender flare with integrated Syncro spat. Are they the new breed of flares from Terrawagen?
My set arrived just need to pick them up from the P office;)
Maybe I got the new set....
Cheers Very Happy
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Postal Flare repros ~ group buy Reply with quote

Looks like he just bolted up a flat piece of plastic to the inside of the flare. Easy to do!
That's pretty much what the Swedes did with their mudflaps...

Lots of flare kits in stock BTW, they're a great stocking stuffer!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Jump to:
Page 24 of 24

Jump to: