Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

73 Thing paint code isn't on my car. The car is white. From what I can find out the paint is L90H PPG 892. If this is correct will it already be non glossy or will it need flattener added?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply with quote

Gloss will depend on what you use. I know PPG Concept green has the flattener mixed in . Your paint store will know. If you go with base clear you can add flattener in the clear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Gloss will depend on what you use. I know PPG Concept green has the flattener mixed in . Your paint store will know. If you go with base clear you can add flattener in the clear.

I went to buy acrylic enamel and they said the L90H PPG #892 didn't have any flattener in it and they couldn't put any in it. Went to another place and they said they didn't have a formula for that paint but he said acrylic enamel was only in high gloss. However he said he could flatten urethane if I brought a sample of the paint he could match it including the flatness.
Why does that paint code not have flattener in it? I thought it was supposed to be the correct paint.
What paint have some of you used with good results?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply with quote

Without knowing the intended use of your rig it is hard to know what paint is going to be best for you. A show quality paint job verse paint that is going to see tortured off road use are two different things.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Without knowing the intended use of your rig it is hard to know what paint is going to be best for you. A show quality paint job verse paint that is going to see tortured off road use are two different things.

Neither, somewhere in between. Just a nice looking, presentable car that will be driven just to enjoy.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply with quote

Very few Things are restored with semi gloss. Most people including judges do not know the cars came this way and think that you put a poor paint job on unless it is a off road look. Any paint can have flattener added as the painter is mixing ready to paint. As a judge I will not take off a gloss car. We have had talks about this and have agreed that we put these cars to todays standard for show cars. Would you use varnish and brushed on for a Model T ? That's how they came from the factory. American cars in the 70's were some of the worse paint and body work from the factory. Not what we see of them today. Use what looks good to you and enjoy your car.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Very few Things are restored with semi gloss. Most people including judges do not know the cars came this way and think that you put a poor paint job on unless it is a off road look. Any paint can have flattener added as the painter is mixing ready to paint. As a judge I will not take off a gloss car. We have had talks about this and have agreed that we put these cars to todays standard for show cars. Would you use varnish and brushed on for a Model T ? That's how they came from the factory. American cars in the 70's were some of the worse paint and body work from the factory. Not what we see of them today. Use what looks good to you and enjoy your car.

Well this car will never be a show car except for the few that have no judging or prizes. Another reason wanting semi gloss is a multitude of sins by not being a professional painter won't show nearly as much with gloss.

Thanks
Leo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: