Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Enough is Enough Junk Parts
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

doing the frt end (winter project) buying parts from 3 different vendors Shocked

rec'd Bd's steering tie rod /end Arrow Meryle Germany???? box has white sticker on the back made in Turkey Question Tie rod end (made in germany stamped in the cap?) WTF Evil or Very Mad sending it all back going with T3 and my stock rods

haven't rec'd the "new " rack from BD Hope for some kind of quality:?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

I did hear he is going to make Merka great agin, but is there something wrong with turkish parts? I sincerely don't know. I thought china was the chaotic maelstrom of variable quality...
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

As a general rule, i dont buy meyle anything. Especially suspension parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
I did hear he is going to make Merka great agin, but is there something wrong with turkish parts? I sincerely don't know. I thought china was the chaotic maelstrom of variable quality...

we must build a wall around china/mexico/turkey to keep out cheap parts
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Or better yet Wink make the world economy such in a way that german companies will want to make the parts and there well paid workers will put in the quality Wink ( the wall in Germany didn't work but we got good quality parts) Laughing What happened Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
we must build a wall around china/mexico/turkey to keep out cheap parts

Once upon a time we did have a very high wall blocking imports, to foster industry. Could that be what Rump has in mind? There goes the global economy!
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with Turkish parts...

matter of fact, most factories producing your "german made" parts have a majority of Turkish workers...

The Turks in Germany are like the Mexican immigrants here...

I would be more concerned with Chinese made parts than Turkish made parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

alijonny wrote:

Especially since it is almost Thanksgiving.
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
alijonny wrote:

Especially since it is almost Thanksgiving.

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

how can you exclude... Michigan, but the germans are in

you haf ein filter for flow-thru of der polish Michiganders but not der german Michiganders??

unt vat about der yuppers? maybe a stinking fish filter vud keep zem out
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

nur die Michigooses, lieber freundchen. Tut mir leid.

Himmel Arsch und Zwirn!!!

Und vait chust a minute, Herr Merian, are you not one uff ze braun ones?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Rather than depending on the who knows where foreign parts vendors, and then bitching about their country of manufacture, has anyone here moved away from their computer screen and floated over to any legit local automotive parts supply houses and purchased Moog front end parts?

Way better quality than you're getting via the internet, and they do come with a lifetime warrantee. (At NAPA anyway)

This bitching pole situation is generated by not using your grey matter, and by being so cheap that you are winding up with garbage parts.

This is your fault, nobody else's.

You got what you paid for, Boo-Hoo.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

pablum wrote:

Nein!! Je viens de Louisianne.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
...has anyone here moved away from their computer screen and floated over to any legit local automotive parts supply houses ....

that would require physical effort

besides, you'd need a running car too
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
pablum wrote:

Nein!! Je viens de Louisianne.

Your name had me fooled... well see ya la8a
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Rather than depending on the who knows where foreign parts vendors, and then bitching about their country of manufacture, has anyone here moved away from their computer screen and floated over to any legit local automotive parts supply houses and purchased Moog front end parts?

Way better quality than you're getting via the internet, and they do come with a lifetime warrantee. (At NAPA anyway)

Yes just got Moog problem Solver series - front end links for a H*nda, Replaced plastic bearings with powered metal and it has ( gosh!) real Zerk fittings to actually lube the components.
And while I wasn't price sensitive, at was less than half the OEM price, it was easy to take. PS - I buy WIX filters too - that seems like another good outfit.
So, yeah, I'd give Moog a chance for my Vanagon front end stuff.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Most all of the front end parts are and have been available at any parts store, offered by manufacturers that have been around since Henry made Ford.

However this requires a bit of initiative and movement away from the keyboard to purchase locally, and have them in day's worth of waiting.

No cookies, no BS from GW, or the BD.

Isn't that amazing---
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Moog huh? How about 15 years ago when I tried to by moog balljoints for a beetle front end...42 bucks each. Opened the sealed box to see Nakata ball joints that I was then buying for 8 bucks. Asked the parts guy whats up with that...he said "If moog is good enough for nascar, it's good enough for you". Should I trust the name MOOG?

Last edited by drumbum68 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

Or how about the Napa (echlin) ignition parts that I tried for a bosch 019 distibutor? Rotor was crapping out instantly and the carbon button in the cap too short and crap spring. Put used rotor and cap back (bosch), problem went away instantly.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough is Enough Junk Parts Reply with quote

drumbum68 wrote:
Moog huh? How about 15 years ago when I tried to by moog balljoints for a beetle front end...42 bucks each. Opened the sealed box to see Nakata ball joints that I was then buying for 8 bucks. Asked the parts guy whats up with that...he said "If moog is good enough for nascar, it's good enough for you". Should I trust the name MOOG?

This is an ongoing problem with every "known" good part brand from the past. We "assume" we are buying a quality part because of past experiences from decades ago. Moog parts or Bosch parts or Meyle parts. Only then do open the box and see it's a repacked POS brand or that the part was made cheaply in the latest third world country where they found the cheapest labor. The parts are then shipped to Germany and packaged there. Now it says Meyle Germany.

We have to love corporate greed and the global economy.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: