Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

My Model A has mechanical brakes. They suuuck.

Gary, did you drink all my beer yet?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I did some research locally and found that CIP has both front and rear 68-70 drums. The better quality rears come from CSP and are made by Sebro in Germany. The fronts come via Econo Intl and are supposedly made in Brazil.

With respect to the drum/drum vs disc/drum matter, I would not have anything but the disc/drum for our climate. I drive my 79 year round and this time of year it rains plenty - all but 4 days since Oct.1. Lots of heavy rain and water pooling from time to time. With commercial grade winter tires my van is stable and predictable.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Gary, did you drink all my beer yet?

What beer?

Okay, well you all dying for the update so here it is. I got the bus today around 4pm. Here are several pictures so you get an idea of what it's like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

So here's my list right now. There are other things wrong not on the list right now but they will be fixed also.

1) Brakes need work and the booster will help a lot
2) I smelled fumes inside while driving but later found the rear hatch ajar so that might have been the cause
3) There is a whine in the engine which might be the alternator bearings
4) The hold open catch for the sliding door needs to be adjusted
5) Not sure what that gauge is in the dash but I'd get rid of it. Either install a tach or just go back with a stock blank off which I happen to have
6) Transmission pops out of third. You have an actual 1968 original transmission which isn't a good thing. I just called my tranny guy Eric at Transworks and he can fix yours but the cost will be around $1300 and take 3 weeks or so. Might be better to find a replacement transmission (002) from a 1969-1971 bus to install if possible because of the time. Now is the time to fix this because the engine needs to come out for Carlos to do the welding on the air cleaner stand. Carlos is scheduled to come here after work on Friday to do the booster plate as well as the stand. BTW, where is the stand? I didn't see the oil bath either. Could they be in the wooden box?
7) Your reverse lights need to be connected
Cool The gas filter needs to be relocated out of the engine bay for fire safety
9) Gear shifter is sloppy and you might need a new front shift shaft bushing (which I have)
10) Gas filler lid lock needs to be repaired to work
11) Ignition switch. Not sure right now what to do (if anything) about that.

Lots to fix. Lots to prioritize
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Gary, I'm pretty sure the '68 ingintion switch is a one year only.

I only paid $450 for my '73 002 from a member on thesamba. $1300 sounds really high, Az Transaxle will be cheaper then that.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I have a core 69-71 002 in my storage unit. I'll gladly swap you cores if the RnP are quiet.

Party on Sunday?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Party on Sunday?

Yeah, and we're drinking on Brian. Actually the fun starts sooner than that. I might be pulling the engine tomorrow.

The transmission would normally be an $800 overhaul but since it's an actual 1968, Eric said he'd need to swap over several parts which would drive up the cost. I'd much rather find a good 002 from a later year. Eric called it a boat anchor.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Gary, what carb in on the engine?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

That's the shitty throttle positioner I was telling you about. Definitely the source of that high idle.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Gary, what carb in on the engine?

No clue right now
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
That's the shitty throttle positioner I was telling you about. Definitely the source of that high idle.

Okay, you're in charge of fixing that
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Brian wrote:

Okay, you're in charge of fixing that

Don't the Stu rules apply for Brian too?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

If you pull that 009 for a vacuume advance dizzy I'd love for it to be mine. I'll be willing to buy it or trade for it.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

If hookup and adjust the throttle positioned fight they work great. Took me awhile to get it right on my 70 Ghia but they work fine and font screw up the idle.

I think all the bug and bus 68-70 take the same ignition components. If the part that's there isn't destroyed then installing the key part is easy

87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

This Bus is getting more expensive by the week. I wonder if the PO knew all of the issues he was passing along to the new owner.

I hope the OP can see this project through financially and that she gets good insurance coverage for it.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
This Bus is getting more expensive by the week. I wonder if the PO knew all of the issues he was passing along to the new owner.

I hope the OP can see this project through financially and that she gets good insurance coverage for it.

Totally! the bus is solid but lacked knowledgable maintanence. I experienced the same thing with my westy and ghia.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

Quote:
]This Bus is getting more expensive by the week.

Don't they all...

Quote:
I wonder if the PO knew all of the issues he was passing along to the new owner.

Probably. But people get used to having old vehicles like that, where half of it doesn't work right (or at all). It becomes "normal". He probably didn't think anything of it.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Quote:
]This Bus is getting more expensive by the week.

Don't they all...

Quote:
I wonder if the PO knew all of the issues he was passing along to the new owner.

Probably. But people get used to having old vehicles like that, where half of it doesn't work right (or at all). It becomes "normal". He probably didn't think anything of it.

Ignorance is bliss.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

I just arranged for Kevin at KCR Transmissions in Riverside to build her a new transmission. The cost is $1k out the door cash deal, no core. She will pick it up Saturday morning on her way to San Diego from Los Angeles.

I asked Telford to come by this afternoon and help me assess the bus. We'll drive it and check all the electrical out. Then develop a list we can prioritize.

The original plan was to pull the engine today but I think it's better to wait a bit so Telford can drive it before it's all torn apart.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a girl and her new Volkswagen Bus, Sunny Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I just arranged for Kevin at KCR Transmissions in Riverside to build her a new transmission. The cost is $1k out the door cash deal, no core. She will pick it up Saturday morning on her way to San Diego from Los Angeles.

I asked Telford to come by this afternoon and help me assess the bus. We'll drive it and check all the electrical out. Then develop a list we can prioritize.

The original plan was to pull the engine today but I think it's better to wait a bit so Telford can drive it before it's all torn apart.

Did you get the later trans you wanted?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 52

Jump to: