Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

There's money in them thar hills...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

Every month or so I take our accumulated beer bottles to the local recycling depot - and get a few dollars in return (good old CA!). This time I also dropped off the old radiator from the van - to my surprise they weighed it and presented me with a cheque for $17.71! An unexpected and welcome little bonus. Smile

So those in CA at least - it can be worth taking your junk bits to the recycling rather than just dropping them in the wheelie bin. Wink
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

$17 ?!?

Wow, you get way better rates than I do! My old LP tank only earned me about $2.50.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Every month or so I take our accumulated beer bottles to the local recycling depot - and get a few dollars in return (good old CA!). This time I also dropped off the old radiator from the van - to my surprise they weighed it and presented me with a cheque for $17.71! An unexpected and welcome little bonus. Smile

So those in CA at least - it can be worth taking your junk bits to the recycling rather than just dropping them in the wheelie bin. Wink

not worth my time to get the mandatory deposit back, I just toss out the deposit containers, and never in the recycling bin, they go straight to land fill, after all I paid the sin tax already, if I dont get the money back, screw it, to the land fill it goes. non mandatory deposit conatainers I put in the recycling bin.

before the mandtory deposit racket was implimented, I recycled all the containers in my recycling trash bin, easy, convienent, and no cost to me. I wont stand inline for a dollar back in a grocery store credit, mingling with homeless people who yell at themselves, just to collect the deposit voucher. the california recycling program is a rotten racket.

went to san fran to see the America Cup boat race. looked all over on the wharf for a drinking fountain, none to be seen. plenty of vendors selling food, I asked if they could direct me to a drinking fountain. was told, no, they did not install any public fountains for this event, but did have a public water dispenser for filling cups, he gave me a free cup, and told me to be sure to toss the used cup in the recycling bin when done as that is what the city wanted done. I told him it would be more conservative of resources had they installed a drinking fountain, no cup needed at all. he replied that the city did not want that, that the city insisted that disposable cups be used instead, and that he was required to remind users to recycle the cup, part of a green education effort! I told him that was stupid, and wasteful, and that Id toss the cup in the trash out of protest. he said "you would do that would you?" I said "watch me", finished my drink and tossed it in the trash. screw their social enginnering, causes more waste than it stops. bunch of loons!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

It's probably the copper/brass content that helped the rate.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
$17 ?!?

Wow, you get way better rates than I do! My old LP tank only earned me about $2.50.

lp tanks are often steel, radiators value was in either the aluminum or copper (vw used either type) the price of steel is less than copper or aluminium.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

or the Al, which is also worth a fair amount

the more interesting question is how much of the wt. was just worthless white corrosion
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

No doubt. It wouldn't be worth it in terms of my time but I pass the recycling place on my way to work so it couldn't be more convenient. I think I got 70c for my old microwave.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
fxr wrote:

No doubt. It wouldn't be worth it in terms of my time but I pass the recycling place on my way to work so it couldn't be more convenient. I think I got 70c for my old microwave.

$70 if it had been a macrowave!

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
fxr wrote:

or the Al, which is also worth a fair amount

the more interesting question is how much of the wt. was just worthless white corrosion

Amazingly not very much. All channels were clear, with a light 'frosting' of corrosion on the ends. No sludge at all. Not bad after 32 years and 215,000 miles, the POs must have been good about what they filled the system with. (grammar?)
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
fxr wrote:

not worth my time to get the mandatory deposit back, I just toss out the deposit containers, and never in the recycling bin, they go straight to land fill, after all I paid the sin tax already, if I dont get the money back, screw it, to the land fill it goes. non mandatory deposit conatainers I put in the recycling bin.

before the mandtory deposit racket was implimented, I recycled all the containers in my recycling trash bin, easy, convienent, and no cost to me. I wont stand inline for a dollar back in a grocery store credit, mingling with homeless people who yell at themselves, just to collect the deposit voucher. the california recycling program is a rotten racket.

went to san fran to see the America Cup boat race. looked all over on the wharf for a drinking fountain, none to be seen. plenty of vendors selling food, I asked if they could direct me to a drinking fountain. was told, no, they did not install any public fountains for this event, but did have a public water dispenser for filling cups, he gave me a free cup, and told me to be sure to toss the used cup in the recycling bin when done as that is what the city wanted done. I told him it would be more conservative of resources had they installed a drinking fountain, no cup needed at all. he replied that the city did not want that, that the city insisted that disposable cups be used instead, and that he was required to remind users to recycle the cup, part of a green education effort! I told him that was stupid, and wasteful, and that Id toss the cup in the trash out of protest. he said "you would do that would you?" I said "watch me", finished my drink and tossed it in the trash. screw their social enginnering, causes more waste than it stops. bunch of loons!

I live on an island. We do not have the luxury of landfills in the desert. We send our waste paper to the power plant to be burned and create electricity. We recycle green waste into mulch and sell it to homeowners and farmers. We recycled glass bottles and steel and aluminum cans long before there was a HI5 (5˘ deposit in Hawaii). My house has no heater or AC. The lanai windows have only screen. The air is clean, the skies are blue, the clouds are white, the water is untreated, the wind blows gently, and the people are friendly.

Many of us think of the earth as an island.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

Aloha
tp

To quote my old college prof, "there is no 'away'".
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Aloha
tp

To quote my old college prof, "there is no 'away'".

I'm away from California. Very Happy
But I do keep a '69 camper there for ski trips and visiting friends.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
went to san fran to see the America Cup boat race. ... the city insisted that disposable cups be used, ... part of a green education effort! I told him that was stupid, and wasteful, and that Id toss the cup in the trash out of protest. ... finished my drink and tossed it in the trash. screw their social enginnering, causes more waste than it stops. bunch of loons!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yup! The last time I went to the Submarine Races I needed to use the privy, but upon entering I saw a sign instructing me to wash my hands afterward. “Phooey!” says I, and I went back out and dropped a deuce right on the beach. A Protest Poop.

Didn’t wash my hands, neither!

That’ll learn ‘em!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

Hahah, that's the Spirit!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

Hilarious!

That's a good note to end my work week on. Have a great weekend fellas!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
went to san fran to see the America Cup boat race. ... the city insisted that disposable cups be used, ... part of a green education effort! I told him that was stupid, and wasteful, and that Id toss the cup in the trash out of protest. ... finished my drink and tossed it in the trash. screw their social enginnering, causes more waste than it stops. bunch of loons!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yup! The last time I went to the Submarine Races I needed to use the privy, but upon entering I saw a sign instructing me to wash my hands afterward. “Phooey!” says I, and I went back out and dropped a deuce right on the beach. A Protest Poop.

Didn’t wash my hands, neither!

That’ll learn ‘em!

the san francisco way to educate the public on hand washing would be to cover the
privy door knob in poop on purpose to get your hands dirty, then remind you that since the knob is purposely covered in poop you should wash your hands.

Id then shake the hand and pat the back of the civil servent who came up with this hand washing education plan prior to washing my hands, a protest shake and pat.

the social engineers that create more waste simply to educate people about recycling waste are looney.

next they will be spreading the flu virus to promote getting a flu vaccine, burn tires in the open air to promote clean air awareness, set arson home fires to promote replacing smoke detector batteries yearly, what else? Confused Confused Confused Confused

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

<<<lp tanks are often steel, radiator value was in either the aluminum or copper (vw used either type) the price of steel is less than copper or aluminium.>>>

Older radiators had brass tanks, copper cores.
More $$$$
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

I think all trash should be "towed in the ocean out beyond the environment". this news interview explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lBiJIzEPk
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I think all trash should be "towed in the ocean out beyond the environment". this news interview explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lBiJIzEPk

http://nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/great-pacific-garbage-patch/

Aloha
tp
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: There's money in them thar hills... Reply with quote

Done.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: