Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running out of gas
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73 beetle, no gas gage. Took my Brand New Gal camping in the middle of nowhere Illinois, in the middle of the night, and, NO GAS....we had to push it down a country road about a mile, til' we found a place. And she wasn't even slightly pissed, wow....
That was back in 95', and we're still together! And we have a 69' westy and a 85' Vanagon. And a 04' Eva Berk!
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have run out of gas twice in my 67 bus. the first time i was on my way to south carolina to do some camping. i ran out on the freeway. couldnt figure it out, the guage said i was at a half a tank, anf the guage couldnt be wrong as it had worked before! well, sure enough, after getting the bus to a gas station and filing her up, the damn needle stayed at a half a tank.

second time was a couple of weeks ago, i was out getting various parts for my bus and a friends, and as i was leaving the NAPA auto parts, and pulling out into traffic, RIta suddenly lost all of her power. i freaked as she has been running beutifully for the past 2 or 3 months or so. i look out of my mirrors lookin for smoke, i remove the bunjee cord from the gas pedal to see if the cable snapped, all while i am in the middle of traffic and the road. i quickly pull off into the nearest parking lot and pop open the engine lid... everything is fine. but the filter is dry. ok, i think, i have my extra gas can, and the station isnt but a mile or so away.... i ended up taking the gas can out so we could use it in my moms 76 westy. i walked back into the parts store, buy a 4 dollar gas can, and bum a ride to the gas station. get back, fill her up, and she runs just fine. i gotta get that damn guage fixed!

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no gas gauge, just a little notebook w/ date, odometer reading and gallons put in.
The first time (cruising with my GF) just flipped the reserve lever and kept going, the second time the lever was already flipped cause I hadnt put it back after the first time (and I was married to the GF and had the two kids with me). Woman came out of her house where I coasted to a stop, looked at the car and said "made a math error didnt you?" and took me to get gas in the can I keep in the trunk. Turned out they have a westy with an inop gas gauge.
Slobugin69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about running out of gas in a bug is at least you can push the car around comfortably by yourself! Today I ran out of gas in my '94 mustang convertable. That thing is so heavy...... I could hardly push it by myself, luckly someone gave me a hand. My gas gauge works but aparently my low fuel light doesn't work any more..... Rolling Eyes
papasmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran out last night again. It's been one of those busy weeks working and I had all good intentions on getting gas BEFORE getting on the freeway. Oh well. It happened on the on ramp and I luckily had about a cup of gas in my spare can, it was enough to get me to the next off ramp and a station.
The other day I was going to get gas AFTER I shopped at Costco. I ran out while pulling into my parking space in the Costco lot. At least I could see the gas station on the other side of the lot. I've got some dumb luck I tell ya. Wink
61' austin seven mini
82’ Vanagon westy with a 911sc drive train
62’ bug (wife’s)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a month ago. 2AM, the gas station by the nearest highway was closed? I knew I didn't have enough gas to make it home so I pulled into the McDonalds drive-true (right next to the gas station). Sat in line for awhile, when the woman finally asked me for my order I was like, "yeah, some gas and.. nevermind, a drink and a fry", while waiting to pay the car died, I hop out, have a few guys help push me into a parking space.. get my order at the window, now on foot, and eat it while waiting for someone to come pick me up.

Next morning, go down to the gas station, get $2 with of gas, walk 50 feet, put it in the car (and the carb), drive 50 feet to the pump, get $10, go home.
Plantman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two times stand out. First time I was on I- 14 near Edwards AFB in CA in my '59 chevy P/U I ran out, pulled over and started to walk, CHP came by and stopped, he asked if the truck was mine , etc. I said yes, he said he would give me a ride to the next off ramp but that he was going to have to give me a ticket for being a pedestrian on the freeway and if I had any weapons and that he would have to pat me down. I'm being cool as I can knowing that I have an oz of pot in the pocket of my fatigue jacket, I was in the Air force at the time (1975). He didn't feel/find the pot, gave me my ticket and a ride to the next off ramp. I was very thankfull he didn't find anything, it would have made a bad afternoon worse.
The other time my GF and I were camping and I went to start the bug in the morning to leave and the car started and then died. The gas gauge read empty even though it worked and the car was nearly full when we arrived. I had her hitch hike to the nearest gas station, about 10 miles away, to get gas figuring she would have better luck getting a ride than I would. This was in the days when people would give rides and not kill you.
When she got back with a gallon of gas I discovered that the fuel line under the tank had rotted through and had leaked out nearly a full tank of gas on the ground. The big wet circle and the smell of gas should have clued me from the beginning. She had to hitch back to the gas station for more gas, I had already put all of it in the tank, and for a piece of fuel line. She got back, I replaced the line and we were on our way. She was not a happy camper at having to hitch twice for gas. She is now my wife of 24 years. Enjoy, David
karfer67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckily for me the gauge in my square works fine. i have not tested it yet to see just how close it is but i always go toss 20 bucks worth of 91 in her when it gets to the 1/4 mark. this fills my tank for the week depending how many times i go WOT Razz
stevo_2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell you guys are lucky ive ran outta gas like 4 times and just yesterday however just twice in the ole bus my friends however ran out like 9 times lmao always bailin his ass out hes helped me alot to so i guess they what that say is true it always gets back around
Grant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a month ago in my 65 bus (no gas gauge, well, no wires for it) i was coming home from this body shop, and it died, but the bad thing was that i had cut school to go work at the shop, so i was a truet (sp?) stuck on the busiest st. near my house (paseo padre) i was only about 2 blocks from my house but there is a hill and i knew i couldn't make it so i had to push it backwards on a curved road with people wizzing past me. of couse i was on the street side because i had to steer, so, anyway

i pull into the neaerest off street, about as far as my house!!!, and its the middle of the day, nobodys home, no cell phone, and no gas. so i was fucked.

until these deaf kids came up to me and asked if my bus was for sale (i'm taking sign language) and they wrote it down on their phone. so i said no, but can i use your phone. and i did, and my buddy came to rescue me, but, we're both broke so we left his car on that street and pushed my bus back home then skated (longboard, gotta longboard regulars don't quite work for me) back to his car then drove back to my house.

Cool good times,

this other time, i died right at the fill up spot. Very Happy

-Grant
74 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 ft from the gas station last week. Before I could even reach for the cell phone a buddy of mine drives up, nods his head, and turns around to get me some gas.

5 minutes tops, from the time I ran out of gas until the time I was goin' again.

Not as ironic as the time that my battery died and within 30 second my friend had pulled up, was out of his car, cables in hand, and lifting the back seat up.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go to a Christmas party for the dealership that I worked for. The work was bad and was struggling to make ends meet. I figured if I went to this event maybe I could get fed a bit more of the work, being a commissioned tech. The trip to work from home was about 45 miles one way. Well, during the drive home from the company Xmas party I ran out of gas in a bit of a rural area of Riverside County. I was dressed in a cheap suit and the wife was in a nice dress. I told her to stay put as I went to syphon some gas. As I was looking for a truck to steal some gas, a Riverside County Sheriff Deputy sees me and confronts me. Me, being a poor liar confessed. The deputy put in the back of the black/white and drove to a circle 7 convenience store where he proceeded to buy a gallon of gas, drive me back to my stranded type 3, and made no excuses for his kindness. My wife was shocked and he would not tell me his name and serial number so that I could return the favor. The embarrassment was enough. Bill
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one way to find out that your gas gauge reads wrong at 1:00 in the morning - I was actually going to get gas when the car stutters out - gauge reading 1/4 but actually empty!

so I coasted as far as I could then pulled off down a side road, which was conveniently were a mechanic was - so I pulled in, but they were closed. as luck would have it there was a gas station, I walked across the street asked the clerk if they had a can I could borrow - they did not.

SOMEHOW there was a guy standing behind me that said he would lend me one, walked over to his car and he pops the truck then tells me how his mom just died and he was actually only in town to take care of it Confused I tried to pay him for his can but he just let me have it - the saddest Part was that he told me it was a long time coming - he pointed at a small bundle of plastic flowers in the trunk ,and told me they were hers... I told him how grateful I was, and gave him my regrets - didn't want to linger with him. walked inside and paid for my gas, the clerk said he was a regular, and that he would talk about his mom often.. filled up the 5 gallon can and left..

crazy how thing work
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gauge in my Vanagon is painfully accurate, and my maps at the time painfully out of date....

So about 10 years ago I am on a trip where I was on I-40 near the NV/CA border, heading westbound for LA. I'm tired of the super slab, so I decide that I am going to take the road that parallels I-40 just to the south of it, and get gas in one of the small towns indicated on the map. As I get off the highway, I see "Historic Route 66" signs...unexpected! Cool!

Maybe not. My map, probably 20 years old at the time, indicated towns where there was nothing but some very broken down former filling stations and diners, with a few single wides clustered about. I think I was maybe 70 miles from Twentynine Palms, and very low on fuel.

At this point, I am too far to backtrack for fuel, so I start pulling every fuel saving trick out of the book, crawling up hills, coasting down them, keeping the van when running below 50 (I know I get optimum mileage below that speed) on the flats. All the while I havent driven past a single car. Although it is winter, it isnt cold, so I wasnt worried about spending the night in the van if it came to that, I just didnt relish the hassle and potential cost of running out of gas in the middle of nowhere.

I made it in to Twentynine Palms and of course stopped at the first service station I came to....Given the amount I put in the tank, I doubt I had more than a cup of fuel left, and could now confirm that my Vanagon's tank is empty when the gauge "says empty".
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Running out of gas Reply with quote

I ran out today on my way to the BP.

They're supposed to have the best gas, so I drove by Speedway and even the Murphy Wal Mart gas station to get there.

Herbie started missing and sputtering so I knew it was a matter of time.

I get in the left turn lane behind 3 other vehicles also turning left very slowly.

They also turn left very slowly to get into the area with the BP and such.

Herbie runs out of gas right there.

It is amazing how light the car is to push when there isn't gasoline in it or my work laptop bag.

Push him to the gas station, and all of the pumps are barricaded off.

My question to the clerk was, I'm out of gas, if you're out of gas, when is the truck due?

"Oh, no, we're not out of gas, the pumps have just not been working since 9:00. We may get them up in a little bit."

While I'm calling triple a to explain my predicament, the pumps come back up.
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Running out of gas Reply with quote

Ran out of gas on a long right turn cloverleaf exit from the parkway. I thought I had enough gas in the tank to make it to the gas station, but I didn't reckon on the little I had left sloshing over to the left side of the tank and staying there!

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
BeetleBrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Running out of gas Reply with quote

The only time I ever ran out of gas was after crashing at my brother's girlfriend's house. I was driving home the next morning and ran out about four blocks from the nearest station. A lady saw me, pulled over and gave me a ride one way. I thought she was going to take me back to my car but no dice. It wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't so tired!
Redlines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Running out of gas Reply with quote

It was late autumn 1972. I just bought a '57 oval with original 36 Hp engine. Absolutely no heat! Would travel 60 miles round trip to college 3 days a week. Gas was only 35 cents or so a gallon back then. I could go for almost 2 weeks between fillips! But I couldn't take the cold any longer so I located and installed a short chubby looking gas heater. I ran out of gas coming home on the 2nd day!!!! My gas tank reserve didn't work so I shut the heater off and kinda jostled the car around to get a little extra gas to drain down the valve tube. Worked well enough to get me to the only gas station just down the road. I don't remember why, but I only had 25 cents on me---however since the bug got close to 30 mph, I made it home. Always carried a gallon of gas from then on!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Running out of gas Reply with quote

I've run out of gas twice and learnt my lesson.

The first time was the day after the 1975 Comrades Marathon in South Africa - 90 kilometres run between the cities of Durban and Pietermaritzburg every year since 1922 with some 15 000 runners nowadays. You read right - 90 kilometres or 56 miles. We had fuel restrictions at the time and could only fill up between 6 am and 6 pm and carry 10 litres in the car. We carried a can in our '72 Beetle and ran out of gas late at night on a deserted stretch of road. I was so sore from the marathon I couldn't get out of the car and my wife had to do the job. (She's still with me - so there.)

On another occasion - 1976 - one of the plug wires had come loose and we ran out of gas at the top of a hill with the next town 100 kilometres away. It was midwinter and freezing cold - just before sunrise. We coasted downhill for 20 k's and came to a standstill right next to a solitary house next to the road. A man came out with his kids ready for school. He sold me 20 litres. I stopped there in 2010 to say hello and he still remembered the incident. His kids were grown-up and married with children.

I now watch the gas guage more than the speedo.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Running out of gas Reply with quote

I had a 57' panel with no gas gauge and I always kept enough fuel in the tank to avoid using the reserve switch so I never 'tested' it until driving on rte 109 in NH, it cut out. I switched to reserve and thought 'cool' , - no go, found out later the reserve tap turned out to me missing the 'tubes'. .

Fortunately some kids came riding up on their bicycles off a dirt path to say I had a cool van, just as I was getting out.

I gave them 20 bucks and they came back with a gallon milk jug with gas in it.
I told them to keep the change and drove on. Good kids. Made me feel good about humanity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: