Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joint Questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Hi all, today I worked on my CV Joints. I cleaned them and reassembled them but now I am second guessing myself.. I'm not sure that I am putting them back the way they should be. I am following the instructions that VanCafe posted here: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_16_9/cv_joint_maintenence.html

They state:
Quote:
On the ball cage, you will notice that one circular edge is chamfered more than the other (photo 7 shows the larger chamfer). The side with the greater chamfer goes towards the axle. On the inner ball hub, you will notice that one of the circular sides has a grooved surface, and sharp edges, whereas the other side has no grooves and more rounded edges (photo 8 shows the rounded edge). The side with the rounded edges goes towards the axle.

I did as the post states, installing the outer ball cage that has the chamfered edge towards the axle and the inner ball hub that has the sharp edges towards the axle but for some reason, I am worried that this is not correct.

Can anyone confirm that I did this correct? It is my first time ever doing this and I want it done correctly. Thank you guys!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Luciano -

I am doing mine now as we speak and I have the exact same question. Thanks for posting!
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Colorado Yeti wrote:
Luciano -

I am doing mine now as we speak and I have the exact same question. Thanks for posting!

Yea I sure hope I got it the right way since all of them are reassembled Confused It also doesn't help that the way they were assembled before doesn't coincide with what VanCafe states in their post. Notice how the outer ball cage has the chamfered edge away from the axle.

Here is a pic of one that was still together. Might be hard to tell since there is grease...

Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

It certainly appears you have them assembled correctly.

Beyond simple memorization of the correct orientations, it’s helpful to know the reasons behind them:

1. The ball cage is chamfered on the inboard side in order to provide additional clearance when the joint operates at extreme angles, to prevent the cage from rubbing/interfering with the axle shaft.

2. The splined hole in the center of the ’star’ hub is chamfered on the inboard side in order to facilitate easy insertion/fitting of the axle shaft, while the outboard side is flat in order to provide a solid seat for the snap ring.

It seems you have both of these correct.

I like to grease the CV joints as I assemble them, to ensure that they are ‘deeply’ lubed; it’s messier but I think more thorough. As you’ve already assembled yours, I’d suggest just taking a little extra time to thoroughly work your new grease well into all the ball grooves, etc.. Use all 90 grams specified in the Bentley, maybe a little extra, rather than the 80 grams that often comes in some rebuild kits.

BTW, it’s hard to tell from your photos, but you did remember to slip your boots onto the axle shafts before installing the joints, right? Very Happy

Looking good!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
It certainly appears you have them assembled correctly.

Beyond simple memorization of the correct orientations, it’s helpful to know the reasons behind them:

1. The ball cage is chamfered on the inboard side in order to provide additional clearance when the joint operates at extreme angles, to prevent the cage from rubbing/interfering with the axle shaft.

2. The splined hole in the center of the ’star’ hub is chamfered on the inboard side in order to facilitate easy insertion/fitting of the axle shaft, while the outboard side is flat in order to provide a solid seat for the snap ring.

It seems you have both of these correct.
Looking good!

That is so relieving to hear. I was worried I was going to start all over again. Can anyone else confirm I did this correct just for more reassurance? Thank you Jeffrey!!

Quote:
BTW, it’s hard to tell from your photos, but you did remember to slip your boots onto the axle shafts before installing the joints, right? Very Happy

So funny you mentioned this because on the first one I put together I noticed I forgot to but the boots on as soon as I drove the axle into the hub Brick wall. The pictures that I posted have both boots on. haha!
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Thanks Jeffrey from the both of us.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Yep, look correct from here, too. Correct torque is important when reinstalling them, as is presence of the little serrated washers, and the larger plates that are held on by two CV bolts each. It's nice to have the tires in the air and a helper in the driver's seat. You can lay under there and tighten one while they hold their foot on the brake. Then you yell done, rotate the shaft and yell for brake. Much quicker and once you find the sweet spot where the torque wrench and all fit, you just go to town. Everybody always claims they cleaned the bolts and the screw threads in the flange they hold onto, but I think its a waste because grease squirts everywhere in there when you mash a fully greased CV onto the flange. So don't freak - just properly have the washers/plates and correct torque. I've never had one loosen and I've done well over 30 CV joints in my day.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

http://www.californiaperformance.com/cv_assembly.htm

http://www.californiaperformance.com/cv_clocking.htm

This was a great help to me Smile
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Yep, look correct from here, too. Correct torque is important when reinstalling them, as is presence of the little serrated washers, and the larger plates that are held on by two CV bolts each.

Awesome, thank you! I will be thoroughly greasing and reinstalling them this week after I receive my release bearing clutch shaft and reinstall the tranny. I figured this would give me more room to fit the tranny back in.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

4x4BNB wrote:
http://www.californiaperformance.com/cv_assembly.htm

http://www.californiaperformance.com/cv_clocking.htm

This was a great help to me Smile

Yup, the orientation shown in those photos look like what I have. Thank you sir!
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I finished this and installed new Rockford boots as well as rotated the axles according to VanCafe's article. I made sure that I greased all bearings well and added a little ore than 90 grams to be sure all was nice and lubed.

Thank you to everyone who had input and answered my questions. Much appreciated.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Oddly enough I just had to replace two cvs on my van due to noise after 20K miles. Read through your thread and van-cafe's article. Looks like I had them on backwards! At least the new ones are on right! Hopefully get more miles out of them this time. I also put more grease in this time. Definitely more than 9 grams...
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

kuleinc wrote:
Oddly enough I just had to replace two cvs on my van due to noise after 20K miles. Read through your thread and van-cafe's article. Looks like I had them on backwards! At least the new ones are on right! Hopefully get more miles out of them this time. I also put more grease in this time. Definitely more than 9 grams...

Glad you were able to find the post. Hope it works better for yo too. Smile
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Time will tell, With over twice the horse power, they may not last long no matter what I do. They were only making noise on long trips up mountains or when I was towing though. I replaced them so I don't get stranded.
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

I just did mine and wasn't thinking about the chamfer of the ball cage. I really don't want to take them out. I'm not running extreme angles, hopefully I'll be ok. I'm a little paranoid about the amount of grease I used. I may get a grease gun and squirt more inside the boot for safety.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

avernon82 wrote:
I just did mine and wasn't thinking about the chamfer of the ball cage. I really don't want to take them out. I'm not running extreme angles, hopefully I'll be ok. I'm a little paranoid about the amount of grease I used. I may get a grease gun and squirt more inside the boot for safety.

With a needle attachment you can squeeze some grease in there...
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Does this look right? I think I'm concerned about the cage

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

I`ve just taken a set apart, never been touched since factory, matching production date etc... and 2 of them had the star the wrong ( or different ) way ( no raised shoulder but the crude side vs machined side).

It depends on the brand and vehicule I guess. The raised shoulder when I see it on new CV`s I put it towards the inside of the axle.

There`s a million confusing threads out there, but shapes and details change over time with production, I wouldn`t worry too much about it as long as the inner cage is assembled properly when it`s asymetrical.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Aloha! Thanks Alika!!

Found a youtube video on talking about the proper assembly. going to have to cross reference other sources to verify video is correct.

Link

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Questions Reply with quote

Shoulder in. Notice the chamfer on the splines. The chamfer is to help get it started on the shaft.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: