Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: 1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone Reply with quote

I'm visiting from the dune buggy forum but I would appreciate some vintage speed opinions. I recently purchased a 70's era Manx clone with a 36 hp 1200 motor. Motor seems complete. Previous owner advertised as "motor not worth rebuilding", so I knew that going into it but, I am not sure if the motor is "not worth rebuilding". It turns smoothly. Prev owner said it smoked embarrassingly bad when he parked it two years ago. If it is rebuildable, that might be the least expensive way to get it back on the road. Or, do I just make the leap to 12v, 1600 and use my 1200 (possibly rebuildable, or not) to fund the upgrade... A local VW shop here in Las Vegas said he would take it apart to see if it can be made to run for $120. Might be worth the investment to know where I have to start. I know there are a lot of people out there that swear by their rock solid dependable 36 hp's (I could easily become one of them).Thanks,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone Reply with quote

Well since nobody has chimed in yet here's my opinion. It all boils down to what you are after. If it's power, it's much cheaper in the long run to upgrade to a 1600DP. A stock 1600 puts out about the same power as a hot-rodded 36hp. (Now with that said, I think it would be super cool to have a souped up 36hp on a buggy - I've never seen that before and think it would be unique.) Also, if you still have the split-case transaxle, you would probably have to upgrade to a later model if you went to a bigger engine - the split-case units weren't designed to handle lots of power and torque. If it were me, I would just get your current engine cleaned up and running smoothly, 36hp should be plenty enough to push a lightweight buggy around. Very Happy

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone Reply with quote

^^^ I like this theory. If the 36 is useable I'd rebuild it and have something period and unique. There are plenty of 36 horse parts available and you would have the only one on your block (or maybe your zip code.) Unless you want a race car the 36 will provide enough power to get around town.
Have you simply tried a tune up, oil change etc. to get it running?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
^^^ I like this theory. If the 36 is useable I'd rebuild it and have something period and unique. There are plenty of 36 horse parts available and you would have the only one on your block (or maybe your zip code.) Unless you want a race car the 36 will provide enough power to get around town.
Have you simply tried a tune up, oil change etc. to get it running?

Yes, I like Bug-nuts theory too. I hadn't originally planned on doing a period piece but... I just might. I wish I could give it a tune up and see if it wants to run but, the P.O. pulled off the left side exhaust, valve cover, rocker arm and rods before he got discouraged and let it sit for the last two years. I have the parts he removed but to be honest I am good at bolting things onto motors but I have always left the internal working to someone more qualified. It sounds to me like it was something in the upper end. Anyway local VW guru mechanic said he would take it down to decide if it was rebuildable for about $120. and could rebuild it with a big bore kit for around $1,400. That sounds less expensive than building a 1600 from scratch and making the other adjustments needed to make a 1600 work. I pulled the motor out today sand will probably drop it off next week. Thanks for the opinions guys.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone Reply with quote

just go 1600 it will be half the price. sell the motor to a guy with a split oval or early bus. it will pay for some of the 1600. plus a 36 is not so era correct for a 70's dune buggy.well maybe i never seen one. i love 36's but.it can turn pricey if there are problems when you tear it down. i would rather put a big motor in that thing and pop wheelies. a 1600 long block is $1500 from most shops, but you will need a donor motor for all the tins and what not. just thinking out loud.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
just go 1600 it will be half the price. sell the motor to a guy with a split oval or early bus. it will pay for some of the 1600. plus a 36 is not so era correct for a 70's dune buggy.well maybe i never seen one. i love 36's but.it can turn pricey if there are problems when you tear it down. i would rather put a big motor in that thing and pop wheelies. a 1600 long block is $1500 from most shops, but you will need a donor motor for all the tins and what not. just thinking out loud.

"Era correct" in that the motor isn't too far off from what the ordinal "donor chassis" came with. Ya, I need to make up my mind what I'm going to do.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone Reply with quote

What is the year of the chassis?
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
What is the year of the chassis?

chassis 1963, motor 1957 and as far as I can tell the transaxle (serial #727607) is original to the chassis.
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 1200cc in my Manx Clone Reply with quote

Decision has been made. I'm going to ditch this 1200 36 hp and make the leap to a 1600. Let the 12 volt conversion begin...
aluk wrote:
sgmalt46 wrote:

"Era correct" in that the motor isn't too far off from what the ordinal "donor chassis" came with. Ya, I need to make up my mind what I'm going to do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: