Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex/Okrasa Tune up
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Solex/Okrasa Tune up Reply with quote

Inquiring whether the tune up such as the services offered by Joe Ruiz is money well spent. My engine builder says he has no difficulty tuning the Solex carbs supplied by WW in their kit. Looking for some feedback by those that have had or had not had their carbs re-bushed and tuned up.
Thanks
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Solex/Okrasa Tune up Reply with quote

I had to rebush mine at around 15K but I did it myself with an old kit I had.
No problems with running out of the box once I cleaned up some of the casting imperfections till the bushings started to show wear.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex/Okrasa Tune up Reply with quote

maybe just a re- bush only. the pot metal of whatever the carbs are made of does wear out faster than normal. a re-jet is not needed .don't fall for the hype. i have built a hand full of them and run fine out of the box. any carb shop in your area can put bushings in there if your concerned. joe is not the only guy Wink
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Frenchy Dehoux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Solex/Okrasa Tune up Reply with quote

I have a 1951 Karmann Kabriolet and the engine has the WW kit motor has a cam crank etc ...I have a 0.50 idle jets and 0.115 main jets and the engine is running rich at idle once i rev the engine around 3,000 rpm does not smoke as much maybe i need to change the idle jets ?Any help appreciated.

Frenchy
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex/Okrasa Tune up Reply with quote

I can't remember the size jets I used but I leaned my idle and richened the mains on my WW Okrasa solex carbs. I purchased the new jets from WW. Oh and I also rebushed them before they were installed.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex/Okrasa Tune up Reply with quote

Frenchy Dehoux wrote:
I have a 1951 Karmann Kabriolet and the engine has the WW kit motor has a cam crank etc ...I have a 0.50 idle jets and 0.115 main jets and the engine is running rich at idle once i rev the engine around 3,000 rpm does not smoke as much maybe i need to change the idle jets ?Any help appreciated.

Frenchy

check the fuel pressure . if you have more than 3lbs it will over ride the float valve and make it run crazy rich. the jets they come with are fine. did you re-build the pump? did you pre load the spring? also the spring that comes in the kits today are too stiff. i re-use the factory one . they are sensitive too fuel pressure .2lbs is plenty.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Frenchy Dehoux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex/Okrasa Tune up Reply with quote

Thanks for the help I will check.

Frenchy
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Solex/Okrasa Tune up Reply with quote

same issue here, I have .45 idle jets and 115 mains, but will go up a bit on the mains, will try 120, but have not done that yet, as it will be done on the dyno. Fuel pressue is ok, used NOS fuel pump during rebuild.

Had my carbs rebuilt by Joe, and took them apart afterwards and removed also all the burrs.
Also have replaced the float valve by original one from solex, as I had issues with the ones wich were fitted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: