Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission problem
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulli bulli 33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Transmission problem Reply with quote

Hi, has anybody some experience with 356 transmissions? I have a laud grinding noise over 3000 rpm when I stop accelerating. It's a 1960 T5 356 Outlaw with an 912 engine, we had the transmission opened and didn't find nothing wrong! What didn't we see, please advice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

I've had noise problems in the past with generators and exhaust that sound like transmission. Try driving briefly without the fan belt, and beat on the muffler to check for loose baffles. Your aftermarket one looks suspect.
bulli bulli 33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

I am sure is not that, i drive a second generator and a new custom muffler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

Does your car have a cooling fan attached to the end of one of your generators?
bulli bulli 33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

of course, and I only have one generator, I just change it for a new one! Grinding definitely comes out of transmission, but the question is why. The sound is quite terrific, like crushing stones.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

Sounds like the ring & pinion gears have lost their correct alignment, maybe thrust washer has worn or failed or carrier bearings are shot (my guess). You need to remove the R&P and clean everything in solvent and inspect with a 10X eye loop looking for pitting. If all is good re-blue the gears and adjust for proper contact.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

I have done hundreds of transaxle repairs over 40 years, including 356, 901, 915, and VW. Several years ago, after overhauling a broken transmission, I had a 356 trans apart 3 times to find a noise that sounded like yours, crazy noise ONLY ON DECELLERATION at higher RPM. I finally fitted a different engine and THE NOISE WENT AWAY. I was able to trace the source of the noise to the cooling fan rubbing on the shroud. This did not occur while revving the engine without driving the car! If I had driven the car without the fan belt, I could have saved dozens of hours of work. You asked for advice, but you did not like it. Try it. What do you have to lose? 10 minutes?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Sounds like the ring & pinion gears have lost their correct alignment, maybe thrust washer has worn or failed or carrier bearings are shot (my guess). You need to remove the R&P and clean everything in solvent and inspect with a 10X eye loop looking for pitting. If all is good re-blue the gears and adjust for proper contact.
Ring and pinion wear noise is generally associated with road speed, wether accelerating, decelerating, or at cruising speed. At slower road speeds, the gears are turning slowly, so noise is minimalized. Higher speeds exacerbate noise. Engine rpm has little effect. OP did not state which gears the problem occurs, so I guess that every gear has issues. Perhaps not. If so, I may agree with you.
bulli bulli 33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

Thank you guys, I will try it without the belt. If this will be the case I be more then happy Smile
Waiting for better weather conditions.
AXAM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

Just my two sense.
When Driving it at the rpm where the noise occurs. Try a couple things.
Press the clutch pedal in torwards the floor and see if the noise stays there. Keep the rpms at the level the noise appears. If no noise let the clutch back out and try it with letting the rpm drop.
As mentioned by another knowledgeable trans builder it could be the carrier bearings or either the mainshaft or pinion bearing.
As others advised you, check your fan for any debris stuck back there. That could give you a noise also.
Have you jacked the car up on a rack and listened for the noise. If you have a shop or friend with a rack. Have someone sit in the car and raise the car. Accelerate like normal to the rpm the noise occurs and get a stetascope and listen at the side covers, axle bearing and just all around the trans.
That's the best way to diagnose the source of the noise.
bulli bulli 33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission problem Reply with quote

Thanks AXAM, this are promising tips!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: