Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building new cabinets
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Thought I would post a few pics of my current cabinet project for my tin top. Last time I made cabinets for a van I incorporated a bunch of aspects I never actually utilized when living in it, so this time I am starting simple, then will add things as needed. I have since swapped out the middle panel, beside the seat, with another sheet of birch, replacing the flooring. This is a deep top load section, intended for my hiking backpacks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Looks good. I should be getting my replacement kitchen cabinets come Monday so I'll be starting on mine soon. I'll be making the bed a bit narrower as I want a coat closet on the passenger side.
Nothing too wide, just a space to hang a winter coat or two, store a tripod without having to climb back in to get them on the other side of the interior.
My 68 Westy had that setup and really made use of it. It's great for hanging a wet jacket before getting it into the inside where it gets everything else wet too.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Looks good! Clean detail. I really dig owner made cabinets. Your supervisor looks bored however Smile

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Looks great!

I like your wood, knot free straight tight grain..... a great cabinet frame wood.

I do remember that side closet on the passenger side in the old bays. Those old units did have some nice features that Westfalia dropped in the newer designs.

Keep us updated!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

I'm really horrible in sighting woods. Is the whole frame etc out of birch ? To my untrained eye, the frame looked like cedar Smile ...

Now the end cabinet doesn't go all the way to the rear of the van. Is this for any future particular reason or issues with removing the engine hatch or ?

Thanks. I like what you are doing here ....
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Thank you all. Yes, River (my dog) is less than impressed with the build.

metropoj wrote:
I'm really horrible in sighting woods. Is the whole frame etc out of birch ? To my untrained eye, the frame looked like cedar Smile ...

Now the end cabinet doesn't go all the way to the rear of the van. Is this for any future particular reason or issues with removing the engine hatch or ?

Thanks. I like what you are doing here ....

The frame is clear hemlock, and the cabinet doors and top are birch plywood.

I had a van back in 2011 that i built cabinets for, and it had a closet, but it didn't go all the way to the back either. In the end, I found that having that nook was really helpful. Nice place to toss shoes, dirty clothes bag, or to stand things up that are too tall to fit in the cabinet. The nook is a little less than 1'x1'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

outstanding work!!! I think the dog just super happy to be chilling with you. Nothing better the hanging with the human!!!
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Looks like a nice start. This set up is pretty similar to what I did.

I'm going to soon be rebuilding my entire set up after 1.5 years of use. My biggest complaint with my set up is not being able to open the one cabinet door while in bed position.

Depending what you keep in yours you might find the same issue. I'd also say having the recessed sections on the tops of my cabinets was very handy for extra storage of smaller items.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Looks great. Have you decided what you're going to do with a closet for the back? Or just leave it open. I'm still undecided if I want a full closet or just build out a window height one.

VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
Looks like a nice start. This set up is pretty similar to what I did.

I'm going to soon be rebuilding my entire set up after 1.5 years of use. My biggest complaint with my set up is not being able to open the one cabinet door while in bed position.

Depending what you keep in yours you might find the same issue. I'd also say having the recessed sections on the tops of my cabinets was very handy for extra storage of smaller items.

As I was planning my setup I came across a couple similar setups, yours included, that helped shape my final plan. The one door next to the bed will not not be able to be opened when the bed is down, but I think that will be fine (famous last words). I will just have to be sure to pack accordingly. I am going to do the bypass cabinet doors in the back cabinet. The one to the front folds down, and will have a support strap to make it a small additional work space in the "kitchen".
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Atadloco wrote:
Looks great. Have you decided what you're going to do with a closet for the back? Or just leave it open. I'm still undecided if I want a full closet or just build out a window height one.

Currently I don't think I will have a "closet". I like the single level all the way back. That being said, if I run out of storage room, I will build another cabinet that sits on top back there. Still no hanging room, but would give more space for stuff.

I try to take a fairly minimalist approach to backpacking, and life in general, and hope it translates well into this space. I will be moving into this one for a little while. It has less space than my last cabinets in my last vanagon, so we will see.
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Replaced the flooring panel with another piece of birch. This panel, unlike the doors, is set back 1/2" from the face. The thought is that I will mount a 110 outlet, solar charger, and a USB port on that panel next to the chair. Having it set back from flush should keep me from having any issues with the bed going up and down.

VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Someone asked how things open up, so thought I would share that photo here too.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

VanagonPDX wrote:
Someone asked how things open up, so thought I would share that photo here too.

Will the low door close to the bench seat open when in bed configuration? It doesn't look like it will. Consider splitting that door and adding two hinges so that the upper part of the door can swing open over the seat cushion.

That looks really good BTW.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

VanagonPDX wrote:
Replaced the flooring panel with another piece of birch.

I think that looks a lot nicer too. Too many different patterns and textures etc. end up looking cluttered sometimes.
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

I think that looks a lot nicer too. Too many different patterns and textures etc. end up looking cluttered sometimes.

Definitely agree that it looks cleaner with the same type all the way down. Need to get a thin sheet to face the panel under the seat now too.
TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Can you explain/show photos of how you've secured these cabinets to the van itself? Currently planning custom cabinets in my van as well but curious on how to go about mounting them.
VanagonPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

TheArmand wrote:
Can you explain/show photos of how you've secured these cabinets to the van itself? Currently planning custom cabinets in my van as well but curious on how to go about mounting them.

Currently they are not fastened to the van. They stay in place mostly due to the box for the bed. I still need to stain/seal them, so haven't finalized the install. Once that is done, I plant to do a couple L brackets to the laminate floor just to keep it from scooting around, and then two brackets at the top to the sheet metal (one at the front and one at the back of the cabinets).
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

TheArmand wrote:

I built a MUCH simpler storage box, as I'm no carpenter, and bolted it to the seat rails under the carpet with a couple M8 bolts and washers. I have a GL tintop.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinets Reply with quote

Stumbled across this article about DIY camper cabinets with dimensions while looking for something else, not sure where to put it but thought someone might like the info.
http://www.80-90.co.uk/techhelp/pdfs/Westy.PDF

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: