Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahmadahere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Hey Fellow Bus Lovers

Has anyone seen where one can get ahold of a flip-out or louvered type window for the vanagon? I've seen a couple of images via google search but have not had any luck in tracking down any suppliers. If anyone has any leads, I would greatly appreciate it. I have reached out to the only one person I have found to have a flip-out window after I seen their blog on-line but they have not responded to my inquiries (sadly).

Chad
ahmadahere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Here is an example I have found... Anyone know where I can get this window?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

the middle flip out windows was a European option. they were in a double layered (insulated) plastic and are uncommon in the US, though not impossible to get imported.
the louvered windows are a Bay window Jalousie that is modified to fit the vanagon.
depending on your DIY ability they are fairly easy to modify & install.
here's a thread on those for reading & reference. Search=Jalousie
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283728&highlight=jalousie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ahmadahere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the middle flip out windows was a European option. they were in a double layered (insulated) plastic and are uncommon in the US, though not impossible to get imported.
the louvered windows are a Bay window Jalousie that is modified to fit the vanagon.
depending on your DIY ability they are fairly easy to modify & install.
here's a thread on those for reading & reference. Search=Jalousie
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283728&highlight=jalousie

Any info on how I might go about finding the flip-out window? Any websites you can direct me to?

Thanks in Advance
schenks13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Gunzl should be able to help you-
http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts....Dichtungen
'94 Jetta
Old Town Tripper 172
Mad River Courier
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Where are the handles, hinge and mechanism that holds the window open?
schenks13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

The other components may be tough. Looks like Campervan Culture has the catch, but I haven't been able to source the other parts.
Someone may be able to help you, further than you just skimming their website.
'94 Jetta
Old Town Tripper 172
Mad River Courier
ahmadahere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

I contacted campervanculture and they told me they are as rare as "hen's teeth" and the only way I would be able to obtain one would be via second hand. I don't even need it to be OEM, I'll take an aftermarket one.

Chad
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Seitz windows are just like those but I am pretty sure finding one of their windows that will pop right into a standard vanagon side window opening will be next to impossible.
ahmadahere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Does anyone have a set of photographs of one of these pop out windows up close so that I can at least see what components are involved? I am interested in attempting to design a kit myself.

Chad
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

there's a strut on each side, a latch in the bottom center and a hinge across most of the top. like a truck cap window hinge.
CHC has the seals,
http://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25-t3-westfalia-side-opening-window-rubber/

be aware that some 'double glazed are non-opening fixed windows.
http://www.serial-kombi.com/en-GB/volkswagen-trans...61-b33-n17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ahmadahere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Dan

I've seen that same picture on campervan culture website. I'd like to see some up close pictures how the hinges and brackets attach on the inside. I have an idea for how to modify my current slider to work as both a slider and a flip out. If I could see what the mounting brackets and hinge looks like I could baseline a new design from there.

Chad
ahmadahere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Here is another photo I found that is kind of blurry.

schenks13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

'94 Jetta
Old Town Tripper 172
Mad River Courier
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Here's a link to a copy in the Netherlands which has the hinged opening window and I remember reading the person who wrote the original link to them was very pleased with the company and service received.

http://www.outbound.eu/en/windows.php

They will ship to the USA.

Here is the forum thread on "Expedition Portal" where I saw the info on them.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/140945-U-S-alternative-to-Seitz-top-hinged-windows

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

I have them on my joker I need a replacement arm anyone? anyone?

have the rear most for sale local pickup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw4wd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

Have a look at this thread on the UK 80-90 forum

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156312

1990 Transporter syncro camper with 2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

That window is installed in a panel van. Finding a window that will fit in the stock window opening of a camper/passenger van will be the tricky part.
ahmadahere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
That window is installed in a panel van. Finding a window that will fit in the stock window opening of a camper/passenger van will be the tricky part.

Are they different? I would think that as long as the type and year generation are the same, the stamped metal window openings should also be the same? Are they actually different, that you know? I just tried to contact "Wedgbury" to get more information about the make and model of the window he used in his Joker. If I can get the manufacturer info and specifications, I can check them against my window opening. Fingers crossed!!

Chad
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Flip Out Window or Louvered for Middle Center or Rear Sides Reply with quote

If you look closely at that UK window installation, you'll see that the upper perimeter fits beyond the upper crease line on the body, so it would not fit within the opening on a regular passenger van.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: